Posted September 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Last edited by connieh1968; September 14th, 2011 at 05:09 PM
Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding
Ingredients / Quantity
For Vanilla Sauce:
Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid
Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)
Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.
Egg yolks / 2 quantity
Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.
For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:
Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces
Egg yolk / 3 ounces
Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)
Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid
White chocolate / 8 ounces
Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)
Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)
Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)
Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces
Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid
For greasing :
Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat
Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat
• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
• For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
• For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
• In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
• In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
• Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
• In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
• Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.
NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.
Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.
2006 Carnival Elation
2010 Carnival Valor
2012 Carnival Legend
2014 Carnival Paradise
2015 Carnival Conquest
2016 Carnival Sensation
2016 Princess Regal
2017 Carnival Glory
2017 Carnival Splendor
2017 Carnival Magic