Knock off purse ?

soccermom65

So does anyone have good advice on how to deal with the purse ladies? Do you walk away from them or show them the money or tell them you will purchase more than one????????? I would love to get some knock offs but might need some advice on how to go about it. Where are they located in the straw market?

So does anyone have good advice on how to deal with the purse ladies? Do you walk away from them or show them the money or tell them you will purchase more than one????????? I would love to get some knock offs but might need some advice on how to go about it. Where are they located in the straw market?

I am not much help to the poster.....but....I want to know too!!!

My wife bought a Coach purse at the straw market in Nassau for $30.

Also saw Parada and Gucchi. Every other stall is selling purses, so if you don't like the price you're getting at one, go to another. Just keep insisting on a lower price.

As the previous poster said, they are all over the Straw Market. You won't have any trouble finding them. I bought a fairly large Coach bag in January for $40. I think I could have got it cheaper, but I wasn't really prepared. I asked the lady how much and she said $100. I offered her $20, she said $50 and I said $40, she said $45 and I said no sorry, then she agreed on $40. I'm sure if I had insisted on $30 and walked off, she would have taken it. We were with a large group on the boat and that night, there were a bunch of us who had gotten new purses! The larger ones seemed to run $30-45 and the smaller ones were more like $25.

Good Luck!

All of the above. Offer them a lower price and if they don't take it.. walk away. They'll offer a lower price if they can. If you are truly interested in several bags.. tell them that you are looking for several.. and ask them what they want.. then throw out a lower price. You'll see their reaction.

If it's really not to your liking .. walk away and try again.

We just got back and found that as soon as we were ready to walk away from the sale, they came down. For example, my daughter wanted a cute little Kate Spade that started at I think $40.00 (but they'll give it to us for $35.00 ;) ) We say no too high, no more than $20.00. They go down to $25.00 and that's final. We start to walk away and the woman grabs my daughter's arm and says ok to $20.00. She was very unhappy with me but....oh well. I knew that we could buy the exact same purse in the next aisle for $25.00 if necessary but I couldn't back down. That was our first experience buying a purse there. We then went to different stalls and for each purse that we wanted, they always came down when they thought we would walk away. I had read on these boards that for the most part you could get the purses for half of what they are asking. That would depend on what they are asking. I paid $30.00 for a purse that started at $50.00.

Are these purses exactly like the real ones? Do they sell Dooney and Bourke?(Have one but would like another for a price cheaper than a cruise.:eek: LOL)

Yes, I've seen some D&B.. and No.. they are not all like the real ones. Some are very cheap looking and most have stick on labels rather than stitched on. So be aware of what you are looking at if you don't want it to look like a knock off.

Once you have an original.. you know the difference. I have yet to actually buy a bag. Although I've looked. No comparison to the real thing. Quality wise. These bags are for fun..

I took a new white Coach bag on a recent cruise to the Bahamas and had several women stop me and ask me which booth I bought it in at the straw market:eek: The knock offs are available in Coach, DB, Fendi, Gucci and Kate Spade.

We travel lots and I've bought decent knock-offs in Rome and in California. They are what they are--fun and cheap. Definitely don't pay the asking price for anything in the straw market, but do keep in mind that these people need to make a living!

My friends have been giving me their orders :)

Don't take on too many .. customs had announced last season that they will allow only 1 pp. Haven't seen it enforced, but these bags are illegal.

So bringing a ton of them back to the states could cause some trouble.

Remember, knock off bags are illegal contraband same as cuban cigars, they overlook a few, but not when it's obvious.

The knock offs are available in Coach, DB, Fendi, Gucci and Kate Spade.

The also have Prada, Louis Vuitton and Burberry.

The quality is ok, not great. I bought a much better quality "Louis" at a shop I think on Bay St. about 3 years ago but I also paid a LOT more $$. As said before, these purses are for fun. I would never try to pass mine off as real.

The knock-off purses have really taken over the Nassau straw market. I don't recall seeing any a couple years ago; when I was there last year I saw a few vendors with them. Now it seems that nearly EVERY vendor inside the straw market has them. Nassau had 6 ships in port yesterday afternoon and $30-35 seemed to be the bottom line for most purses and $15 for a wallet. Earlier in the morning when there were only 2 ships in port my DW got one quote for $25 on a Prada purse. No telling what the ladies pay for the purses but once you go below $25 it probably becomes unprofitable to buy and sell them and they just can't do it.

BobK/Orlando

just returned from nassau two days ago.. bought 2 purses at the straw market: prada for my mom and a coach bag for me. quality is much better in nassau compared to other islands we went to. there are tons of ladies selling them, so definately look around and BARGAIN!!! I paid $35 each

I just got back from Nassau and was overwhelmed by all the purses in the Straw Market. There was an alley just before the straw market that has individual shops which carried jewlery that was made by Bahamians. There was no bartering but the prices were much cheaper. There is also straw handbags made by Ann Marie that are authentic bahamian bags. I thought they were interesting. A small bag is about $25.00 with no bartering. She is located in the area shops right before you go to your cruise ship.

my grandson and i went to one of the shops on bay street and he bought a name brand( forget which one) purse for his girlfriend and a billfold for her, we asked and they did come down some,don,t remember how much(again he was buying not me, or i might remember better)but ask, all they do is say no.

Last year I bought several Dooney & Bourke purses. They were very good quality. They were all hand stitched and "real leather". Have had no problem with them. Cannot tell the difference....now the Prada and louis are a different animal. Fake leather and it cracked and zipper broke on both. I can't wait to get back there for the D&B's. Can't have enough of them!!:D

i bought a coach bag there last week for $20, that's pretty much the going rate! I wish I bought more, they had really cute Kate Spade bags there. The ladies there are really friendly and will try and make a deal, but will probably only come down a few bucks. Good Luck:)

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in December and got 5 for $100. I told the vendor up front that I needed five purses for Christmas gifts. I ended up with a Coach, two Kate Spade and two Prada. I could see her start to calculate and I pulled out a $100 bill and told her that was what I had to spend. She said, "Oh, you killing me." Then she glanced around and said - "OK - I take".

Archived