Progresso?

travgurl

Just keep reading the posts here. Checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com take a virtual tour with my four albums I've posted. This area is in no way like Cancun, Cozumel or other stops that depend entirely on the tourist dollar. It's a port that is best with research. I hope to be back to Merida in two months for my fourth land vacation after two port calls.

We were just there. At the last minute we did a tour to Uxmel then went into Progreso. Good thing we did not do a beach day there. The town & beach area are dirty & stink. The day before we spent the day at Playa Del Carmen. The differance is like day & night. Table mates went into Meridia and said the same thing.

We were just there. At the last minute we did a tour to Uxmel then went into Progreso. Good thing we did not do a beach day there. The town & beach area are dirty & stink. The day before we spent the day at Playa Del Carmen. The differance is like day & night. Table mates went into Meridia and said the same thing.

I haven't read any other comments about the beach being "dirty and stinky" - some have said the water, being in the Gulf, is not clear and blue like in Cozumel and other ports - but that's to be expected. We're still planning on a beach day there, and I'll be sure to post my thoughts when we return.

We are headed to Progresso in a few weeks instead of Costa Maya. We are a large group with little ones that want to hang out at the beach and have a few drinks. I have heard the beach area off the shuttle is ok, now I just read that it is dirty & sticky Has anyone been there lately that can give a review??? What is the malecon is that all in the same area off the shuttle form the ship????Thanks for any info

The Malecon is the beachside street. Quite a few good restaurants and many will serve you on the beach. My favorite is Le Saint Bonnet and the whole deepfried snapper. Of course the fish is extremely fresh. On each of my land vacations to Merida I take one day to visit Progreso and have the fish. To me, it's that good. As of June of 06, the beach was clean and not at all stinky. The water is not suitable for snorkling. Typical Gulf of Mexico water, not the Caribbean. Keep reading this board and research your port of call. also http://www.yucatantoday.com

BTW. There are beach pics in some of my four albums I've posted on this board. Some also show the 4.5 mile pier complex.

We are headed to Progresso in a few weeks instead of Costa Maya. We are a large group with little ones that want to hang out at the beach and have a few drinks. I have heard the beach area off the shuttle is ok, now I just read that it is dirty & sticky Has anyone been there lately that can give a review??? What is the malecon is that all in the same area off the shuttle form the ship????Thanks for any info

We were there Aug 31. We got off the bus & headed straight to the beach. The place was dirty & stunk. Turned around headed back to the shuttle. There is a small flea market area. Shopped a few minutes & left. That was 3 days ago. IMHO the worse beach we have been to.

We were there Aug 31. We got off the bus & headed straight to the beach. The place was dirty & stunk. Turned around headed back to the shuttle. There is a small flea market area. Shopped a few minutes & left. That was 3 days ago. IMHO the worse beach we have been to.

Fox, I have had much the same experience as you had. Twice. Except that the first time we had paid for the excursion to that beach. Duh. Learned that lesson fast. It's within walking distance from where the free shuttle drops you off! But really, the smell was so strong that we couldn't stand to stay at the beach for long. The second trip we did Uxmal. That was a wonderful experience and so I know it is possible to find ways to enjoy this port. But even then it did smell bad when we were near the beachfront.

You just have to be willing to be a little adventurous! hdawson is absolutely correct when he says that this port is best enjoyed with a lot of research...Something we were not afforded the time to do the first go-round with Progreso as a substitute port.

Someone must want me to be REALLY familiar with the area because, barring weather changes, in two weeks I will be headed there twice more. Because of itinerary changes again. I still do not plan on hanging out at the beach. But maybe I'll have another experience like I had with Uxmal and find something else out there that is wonderful and enjoyable! I'll let you know how it turns out when we get back...

All that being said, though, I don't know WHY the water is like it is but it ISN'T because it's the Gulf of Mexico. Some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to (and in the world imho) are on the Gulf Coast from Alabama to Florida! And isn't Cancun (with its presumably pretty water...I've never been there, just saw pictures) on the Gulf? As well, some of the nastiest water is near where the rivers enter the Gulf or in bay areas. But that's brown water from silt. The water in Progreso has a distinctive blue-green tinge to it. It reminds me of the Chicago River a couple of days after they dye it green for St. Patrick's Day. Another thing is that the Gulf waters are beautifully clear and blue like sapphires when you aren't near that shore...So what does being on that particular body of water have to do with how the water is in Progreso? Beats me. Anywhoo....

What I do know is that there are no real inland waterways and the Yucatan is much like a pourous limestone shelf jutting out into the Gulf. The rainwater is absorbed into the ground and filtered to below-ground "rivers". You can see parts of this phenomenon at the cenotes in the area. There are some that are in caves with stalagmites and stalactites, some are at the surface like swimming pools and I forgot what other kinds there are just offhand, but I hope to check this out on one of my next trips. If you are interested in that kind of thing, definitely check out the yucatantoday site. I think that kind of thing would be an interesting experience no matter how old you are!

But all that being said...I still don't really know why the water is murky at the beach! LOL I'm not sure what their wastewater treatment solutions are in that area, so I won't say that's what is causing the smell and murk that Fox and I experienced, but anyway...The smell may not always be there, but it most certainly was there both times I went to Progreso before (on the first Conquest trip and on Elation check my sig for exact dates LOL) and I would not personally choose to swim in the water.

Maybe when you get there it will be great! I certainly hope it is. But there are more people than just Fox and me who have had that experience there.

Ches and Fox. That limestone shelf is the reason for the very long, 4.5 mile pier. The water is very shallow till you get pretty far out that prevents deep draft shipping to dock there without the pier. There is a pretty constant though small wave action on the beach that keeps the water stirred up causing the murkieness.

As for smells, the only one's I've noticed are early morning and late afternoon in Merida, exhaust from the heavy bus traffic of people going to work and class. The same for NYC.

The people of the Yucatan state are very proud and friendly people. They value their history and culture and restore their old buildings rather than tear them down and replace with chrome and glass which is so common in the US.

You can visit the beautiful Spanish colonial city of Merida for a whole $3.00 RT. Colonial bldgs built as far back as 1549. Touring the Cathedral, built in 1561 is amazing. Just imagine the talent and hard work it took.

Beyond the historical city center there is the upscale pretty, European style blvd, Paseo Montejo, with gorgeous old mansions. And the prettiest Walmart I've ever seen and Mickey D's. Quite a few people have moved to the Yucatan state from the US.

Foxtrot, I hope you will take time to look at my four albums posted on this board. You'll see Merida, Progreso, Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Surely you enjoyed Uxmal. I'ts my favorite ruins site.

I also hope you both enjoy your next visit to the Yucatan state. I do understand that we all can look for something different when visiting foreign countrys and that is not a bad thing. I prefer taking the road less traveled.

John

Ches and Fox. That limestone shelf is the reason for the very long, 4.5 mile pier. The water is very shallow till you get pretty far out that prevents deep draft shipping to dock there without the pier. There is a pretty constant though small wave action on the beach that keeps the water stirred up causing the murkieness.

As for smells, the only one's I've noticed are early morning and late afternoon in Merida, exhaust from the heavy bus traffic of people going to work and class. The same for NYC.

The people of the Yucatan state are very proud and friendly people. They value their history and culture and restore their old buildings rather than tear them down and replace with chrome and glass which is so common in the US.

You can visit the beautiful Spanish colonial city of Merida for a whole $3.00 RT. Colonial bldgs built as far back as 1549. Touring the Cathedral, built in 1561 is amazing. Just imagine the talent and hard work it took.

Beyond the historical city center there is the upscale pretty, European style blvd, Paseo Montejo, with gorgeous old mansions. And the prettiest Walmart I've ever seen and Mickey D's. Quite a few people have moved to the Yucatan state from the US.

Foxtrot, I hope you will take time to look at my four albums posted on this board. You'll see Merida, Progreso, Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Surely you enjoyed Uxmal. I'ts my favorite ruins site.

I also hope you both enjoy your next visit to the Yucatan state. I do understand that we all can look for something different when visiting foreign countrys and that is not a bad thing. I prefer taking the road less traveled.

John

Eloquently said John, I'm with you.:)

Well, the smells I was talking about were strictly in Progreso at the beach. I've not yet been to Merida, but I'll be sure to smell it, too while I'm there. :p And I'll buy the murk caused by the limestone bottom, but the bluish green color? I dunno. I don't think that's limestone. But that's really neither here nor there!

What I really wanted to comment on was that we were actually sitting around a few days ago and wondering what the Wal-Mart in Merida would be like. And how to get there. Seriously! Between the two of us, we've tried American fast food restaurants in Italy, Russia, Jamaica and a few places in between, but not a Wal-Mart. I was really curious about that!

...But I don't know how I would have brought that up without you mentioning it first without it sounding sarcastic! I know that's not really high up on the tourist schedule. Although it IS a cultural experience!

Ches. Email me at hdawson228@aol.com and I'll send you a couple of pics of the Walmart and Mickey Ds. Actually, in the MD I ordered at the counter like in the US but was then told to take a table and my order would be delivered.

That was a first. While eating, a couple of 13 yr old girls sat at the next table in their school uniforms and struck up a conversation. I think to practice their English. One of the girl's family had moved a yr earlier to Merida from Mexico City because Merida is sooooo much safer. MC has a very high crime rate. The girls were delightful.

I have been reading about a tour bus that takes you to Merida for $3.00 then what is there to do & see??? then how often do the buses come back and forth??? is it worth it to take the tour??? How long of a tour is it??? Would 6 & 9 yr old kids like it??

Mommy. I don't think that is a tour. That is the regular bus serice between Merida and Progreso. Named Auto Progreso. Nice busses and reliable and run about every 15 minutes. Touring is so very easily done on your own. Have a hard copy of http://www.yucatantoday.com in had picked up in Progreso. Email me if you need help.

I have been reading about a tour bus that takes you to Merida for $3.00 then what is there to do & see??? then how often do the buses come back and forth??? is it worth it to take the tour??? How long of a tour is it??? Would 6 & 9 yr old kids like it??

I know this isn't the same bus service that hdawson always talks about, but most of the cruise lines offer a guided bus tour of Merida for around $30. I think it's around 6 hours long and has a guide knowledgable of the area and the architecture. Again, I realize it's more than the $3 cheapie bus fare, but $30 seems like a pretty good deal to get where you're going and have a guide for several hours. Maybe some others here on the board who have done the tour can weigh in.

Interesting article.

The Mexican city with the best quality of life, as voted by the people who live there, may come as something of a surprise, but the nation’s worst is a no-brainer.

In a poll of residents in cities throughout Mexico, the Pacific coast city of Colima was the runaway winner, followed by Merida, on the Yucatan Peninsula, and Queretaro, a colonial city in center of the country.

In last place, of course: Mexico City, the 20 million strong monster that apparently has the country’s most pessimistic residents. How down are residents on their city? Mexico City came in 33rd place when it came to the availability of cultural activities, which is akin to a New Yorker complaining that there is nothing to do..

The resort city of Acapulco took the prize for worst public security as residents deal with an all-out drug war that has raged for the past two years..

The rankings by the Reforma newspaper were based on residents’ ratings of their cities in 15 categories, including things like air quality (Cancun was first) and infrastructure (Aguascalientes is the best)..

By Jeremy Schwartz | Monday, June 25, 2007, 10:24 AM

Interesting article.

The Mexican city with the best quality of life, as voted by the people who live there, may come as something of a surprise, but the nation’s worst is a no-brainer.

In a poll of residents in cities throughout Mexico, the Pacific coast city of Colima was the runaway winner, followed by Merida, on the Yucatan Peninsula, and Queretaro, a colonial city in center of the country.

In last place, of course: Mexico City, the 20 million strong monster that apparently has the country’s most pessimistic residents. How down are residents on their city? Mexico City came in 33rd place when it came to the availability of cultural activities, which is akin to a New Yorker complaining that there is nothing to do..

The resort city of Acapulco took the prize for worst public security as residents deal with an all-out drug war that has raged for the past two years..

The rankings by the Reforma newspaper were based on residents’ ratings of their cities in 15 categories, including things like air quality (Cancun was first) and infrastructure (Aguascalientes is the best)..

Thanks H. Indeed, very interesting.:)

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back last week and I totally agree with you. We found it to be very dirty and a lot of areas smelled bad. It felt like being in the ghetto. We did not have an excursion booked and ended up getting back on the ship after a couple of hours. Progreso is one place I don't care to cruise back to.

We just got back last week and I totally agree with you. We found it to be very dirty and a lot of areas smelled bad. It felt like being in the ghetto. We did not have an excursion booked and ended up getting back on the ship after a couple of hours. Progreso is one place I don't care to cruise back to.

Wow, I did not get this feeling at all. It for sure was a poorer town, but the bathroom at the flea market was spotless(and the one at the beach hubby used was too, he was amazed it was so clean and was not expecting that) and I got the feeling that everyone was so proud of what little they did have. I need to find a way to post my pictures. I'll tell you this, the beach there was much cleaner than the beach I visited in biloxi ms. Progresso has a gulf beach, pretty typical for a gulf beach to me. I never really smelled anything bad, and I have a pretty good sense of smell. Everyone I saw was clean, though it was pretty hot and humid so the kids said! Sorry you did not have a good time. We really can not wait to go back there. I will have to say the ruins were my favorite part though. I felt so small in comparison to all of that.

Interesting article.

I loved Merida too. I felt VERY safe there. Our tour guide boasted about the low crime rate. It was very pretty. Funny, I am as american as apple pie, but I could see myself living there.

Wow, I did not get this feeling at all. It for sure was a poorer town, but the bathroom at the flea market was spotless(and the one at the beach hubby used was too, he was amazed it was so clean and was not expecting that) and I got the feeling that everyone was so proud of what little they did have. I need to find a way to post my pictures. I'll tell you this, the beach there was much cleaner than the beach I visited in biloxi ms. Progresso has a gulf beach, pretty typical for a gulf beach to me. I never really smelled anything bad, and I have a pretty good sense of smell. Everyone I saw was clean, though it was pretty hot and humid so the kids said! Sorry you did not have a good time. We really can not wait to go back there. I will have to say the ruins were my favorite part though. I felt so small in comparison to all of that.

You're right, the flea market area was clean. But the rest of the town was not. It had rained recently when we were there, and some of the streets were partially flooded. There was trash floating around the streets and it smelled disgusting. Maybe we were just there at the wrong time. But you know how it is-once you've had a bad experience somewhere, you don't care to go back there. I'm glad you had a good time though. But in my opinion, there are too many beautiful ports in the Caribbean for us to go back to Progreso again.

Taking a break from reading instructions for my upcoming surgery. Not pleasant reading. Just want to make some observations about the people of the Yucatan. First if you want a port with endless rows of tourist oriented stores and drinking spots, Progreso will probably be a disappointment for you. Nowhere in the Yucatan State do the communities and people depend on the tourist dollar for their existance. Of course tourism contributes to the economy, but there are other businesses and industries that thrive and are more stable. Generally the cities and towns are clean but very old, some as old as 400+ years. Some people relate cities and buildings that are real old as dirty. Some Americans are so used to shiny chrome and glass that they know nothing else except maybe Williamsburg which is really a reproduction of what was. Merida as an example is not just very clean but so safe than most street cops don't carry sidearms. Bldgs dating back to 1549 and a very colonial appearance. Should also mention the very good food, local beer and excellent coffee. Something else I've notice is the standards of dress. Men wear their clean, well pressed guayaberra shirts (longer and not tucked, with four pockets). The plazas usually have serveral shoe shine men shining shoes. On the central plaza of Campeche I counted seven shiners working and kept busy. The same in Merida. When was the last time you saw men in US (other than "suits") that had shined shoes or pressed shirts? These are very warm and friendly people and very proud of their history and culture. The cities and towns have a great sense of "community" which is so rare in the US.

I agree with you. But I was not referring to the old buildings there. I was raised in Europe where we had nothing BUT old buildings, old castles, etc., and it was absolutely beautiful. But they also keep it very clean. There is a big difference between "old" and "dirty". I have heard that Merida is a pretty place, and unfortunately we did not make it there. But Progreso was definitely not a clean place. I have cruised to Mexico 4 times and have never been to a place that dirty.

• 4 weeks later...

Which ruins did you see, and how did you book it? Thanks

Archived