Wonderful Free Thing To Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aragerwku

We just got back from a cruise on Thursday and was in Progreso on Monday. We went with another couple and our two kids ages 2 & 6. Last year while in Mahahual we visited a school and took the kids school supplies. So, when our cruise was changed to Progreso, we were very disappointed for many reasons. However, about three days before we left I ran across a lady named Sharon Helgason that runs a food bank in Chixculub and just did a presentation at the International Women's Club on her projects there in Chix . She met us as soon as we got off the bus from the pier and took us to an elementary school, Benito Juarez. While there we got to meet all the kids and pass out school supplies. The teachers and students were very appreciative. My two daughters also past out suckers and counted to 10 in Spanish with the students. The schools are very poor and were very excited to get the supplies we brought. One of the ladies from the school actually stayed up until 1:00 in the morning fixing us some food (it was safe to eat) and had us some cold Coke Cola. Sharon is orginally from Canada and speaks English very well. She was like our own personal tour guide from Progreso to Chixculub and back. Here email address is shelgason@hotmail.com Just tell her how you heard about her and she will be more than happy to arrange something for you. This was one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things I had ever done. We all enjoyed it. As we were walking away, the children was following us out the gate and hanging over the fence to wave good bye. I'll try to post a few pictures. Oh, by the way, the ocean is o.k. but FULL of seaweed!

100_3123.jpg.5d71802303ab5e6432126e7450055e50.jpg

I have been reading this site for a very long time trying to find the perfect thing to do in Progresso. I think what you did on vacation is perfect! My brother and I (along with the rest of the family) volunteer and donate both locally and through the Samaritan's Purse internationally.

Can you give me some more details such as how long it took to get to the school, how long were you there, were you able to do anything else at your day in Progresso?

I have 15 people to plan for and I need to make sure they are all covered in something to do!

Thanks!

I have been reading this site for a very long time trying to find the perfect thing to do in Progresso. I think what you did on vacation is perfect! My brother and I (along with the rest of the family) volunteer and donate both locally and through the Samaritan's Purse internationally.

Can you give me some more details such as how long it took to get to the school, how long were you there, were you able to do anything else at your day in Progresso?

I have 15 people to plan for and I need to make sure they are all covered in something to do!

Thanks!

We met Sharon when we got off the ship around 8:30 and were back to Progreso to shop and hit the beach by 11:30. It only takes about 15 minutes to get to the school. Sharon met us, arranged the transportation and translated everything for us. We got to see the kids in the classroom setting and during recess/lunch. We only stayed around 1 1/2 hours because we wanted to do other things. It was VERY rewarding and touched me and my family in a way I cannot describe. We took suckers, that my daughters passed out, paper, folders, pens, notepads, construction paper, a scientific calculator, and etc. There were 6 people in my group, 4 adults (3 of us are middle school teachers), and my two small children. If you want more information, Sharon will be glad to help you. She really cares for that community.

I think this would be a wonderful idea for my students to send stuff to when I am there - but I won't be there until Aug 9, 2008. Do you know if they will be in school then or would they meet me at the pier that day and just pick up the stuff? We want to get in at least one ruin trip this time - m,ay Dibz? Also, I looked at your wonderful photos - looks like you guys had a really good time. What beach did you go to in Cozumel? Thanks

I think this would be a wonderful idea for my students to send stuff to when I am there - but I won't be there until Aug 9, 2008. Do you know if they will be in school then or would they meet me at the pier that day and just pick up the stuff? We want to get in at least one ruin trip this time - m,ay Dibz? Also, I looked at your wonderful photos - looks like you guys had a really good time. What beach did you go to in Cozumel? Thanks

I'm not for sure what there calendar is like. You would have to email Sharon. Sharon is willing to do anything to help her community, so I'm sure she would meet you. In Cozumel we went to Nochi Coccom (don't have any idea how to spell it). We were the only ones on the beach except for the 1st hour the party boat stopped. We had all the food and drinks we wanted (which was included in the price) and the cabana boy bringing it to us on the beach. Beautiful water! Great Beach! Nice Pool! Excellent Service! Quiet!

This wasn't an excursion, but something we searched for that we wanted to do. We brought supplies last year to the school in Mahahual; however, most of the kids had gone. So, I kept searching until I ran across Sharon. No cruise offers this as an excursion, but I guarntee you'll have more fun and it's suited for all ages. Sharon is also a personal tour guide for free. However, we did gave her $20 per couple and told her to use it for her, the school, or food bank; afterall, she even paid for our transportation to & from the school. Do you know if she's taking you to the same school? We were the first people the schools had ever had visit. So, they were extremely happy and tickled that we brought supplies. Let me know how your trip goes and please post on here. The more people who visit the school, the more the kids will benefit. Also, tell Sharon I said hello.

We did not get our excursion through Carnival. To book Nachi we went through Island Marketing. http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

We were the only people there all day except for about 1 hour when the party boat came. They didn't bother us. Since we had reservations, they already had us a spot to the side with our chairs and cabanas. You can wait and just pay when you get there if you want. We only made a deposit and paid the rest when the got there. They said if we decided not to go, we would just loose our deposit and wouldn't be charged the full price. If you go, try a Miami Vice drink. IT'S GREAT! Let me know how your trip is when you return.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the school and visited the students. It was a great experience! However, customs did not allow us to deliver any school supplies. Sharon is quite the amazing woman! She is the closest thing to a living Mother Teresa I have ever met!

Thanks for the tip!

Why did customs not allow you to deliver the supplies? We've done it twice now and have never had a problem. They've never checked our bags or even knew what we were doing. Which school did you go to? What did you do with all the stuff you took?

We went to the school and visited the students. It was a great experience! However, customs did not allow us to deliver any school supplies. Sharon is quite the amazing woman! She is the closest thing to a living Mother Teresa I have ever met!

Thanks for the tip!

They picked us to question what was in our bags. I was honest. Maybe I should have just said that we were going to the beach but I thought it was better to be upfront than get caught in a story. I dealt with customs for about an hour in the morning and did everything they asked. They told me to get a letter from the school and the school supplies could be left for them to pick up in 2 days. I got the letter and returned to the ship to make the arrangements with customs. They changed their "laws" again. It was stated that because Progreso is a commercial port nothing could go ashore for any other agency than the government or the red cross. He did cave a little and say that he would allow them to go ashore, be thoroughly searched and deliverable within 60-90 days. I elected to bring the supplies home with me. I had no guarantee that the school supplies would actually get to the school. We had received cash donations from some friends and we were able to give that to Sharon but the rest did not get to the students. The ships 2nd purser really went to bat for (and with) us. She worked right along side of me the whole day with customs. All in all I spent about 3 hours talking and doing what customs requested. It's said that their agency can not see that the children are their future! The ship's agent and 2nd purser agreed but to no avail I lost the battle.

We've made arrangements with Sharon about other things we can do from home and it's been a great experience overall! I feel very blessed to have met the children and to have seen their school!

Shawna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We just got back from a cruise on Thursday and was in Progreso on Monday. We went with another couple and our two kids ages 2 & 6. Last year while in Mahahual we visited a school and took the kids school supplies. So, when our cruise was changed to Progreso, we were very disappointed for many reasons. However, about three days before we left I ran across a lady named Sharon Helgason that runs a food bank in Chixculub and just did a presentation at the International Women's Club on her projects there in Chix . She met us as soon as we got off the bus from the pier and took us to an elementary school, Benito Juarez. While there we got to meet all the kids and pass out school supplies. The teachers and students were very appreciative. My two daughters also past out suckers and counted to 10 in Spanish with the students. The schools are very poor and were very excited to get the supplies we brought. One of the ladies from the school actually stayed up until 1:00 in the morning fixing us some food (it was safe to eat) and had us some cold Coke Cola. Sharon is orginally from Canada and speaks English very well. She was like our own personal tour guide from Progreso to Chixculub and back. Here email address is shelgason@hotmail.com Just tell her how you heard about her and she will be more than happy to arrange something for you. This was one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things I had ever done. We all enjoyed it. As we were walking away, the children was following us out the gate and hanging over the fence to wave good bye. I'll try to post a few pictures. Oh, by the way, the ocean is o.k. but FULL of seaweed!

My DH, DD and myself visited with Sharon Helgason too. She gave us a wonderful walking and bus tour of the area and we visited the schools but the kids were out for Christmas week. We also each brought a backpack full of school supplies which we all carried off the ship just like any other tourists. We met Sharon at the Cultura Center in Progreso. She also took us for an authentic Mexican lunch at Rita's. The chicken lime soup was so delicious. My husband went for the coconut shrimp and there was way too much food for lunch. My daughter had the chicken fajitas but wasn't thrilled with the marinade. This was a perfect way to see the real Progreso, Mexico. She also connected us with a wonderful hammock vendor. I bought one for each of my kids at a very good price for the quality we got. Sharon really made our trip to Progreso very special and very eye opening. She's a very special person.:)

Archived