Turks & Caicos Museum?

dr1ce

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like I'll just go ahead and answer my own post... :D

I was just in Grand Turk and we only had the morning (7-12) in port. After a couple of hours "waking up" on a beach, DH went to scuba dive and I went to the museum (opened up shortly after 9am). If you can appreciate small museum collections (with limited $resources), this is a great half-day place to poke around. They have a home in a great old house and they have a great collection of stuff--from shipwreck artifacts, to local natural history info, to info native peoples, to the Queen's various visits, to John Glenn's landing in 1962...and more... They have a great (though small) gift shop that sells stuff you want to buy (as opposed to the super-touristy stuff for sale near the boat). They have $10 local coffee (regret not buying some!), awesome photo postcards (way better than other places I looked!), books, local arts/crafts, posters/prints, etc. Only $5 for admission (great deal!), so don't be afraid to donate a little extra (looks like they could use some more financial investment)! I have a bunch of photos of the museum that I'll post soon...

(I'd be interested in others' opinions of the place, if anyone else goes...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We took a taxi from the ship to Bohio resort (past Cockburn Town), stayed a few hours, then the same guy came back for us. He took DH to his scuba dive and dropped me off on the way there. Then, picked me up and brought me back to the ship. I think we paid too much--$12-14 each way, but he did make several stops, came back, etc. Super easy to get a taxi to the museum. Some people even walked to town and taxi-ed back. Hope you enjoy!

• 3 months later...

Can you walk to the museum with a stroller? We have kids and do not want to deal with car seats....I was looking for something I would find interesting, but not be out in the sun for long periods of time because I have kids. Did they have exhibits on the slave ships and slave trade as advertised on the website?

Can you walk to the museum with a stroller? We have kids and do not want to deal with car seats....I was looking for something I would find interesting, but not be out in the sun for long periods of time because I have kids.

The museum is several miles from the port, and there are no sidewalks along the roads. Walking to it is not a good idea, especially with a stroller. --David

Archived