Island Girl - great excursion!

wa.mama

Our family just returned from the Crown Princess southern caribbean cruise. We were lucky enough to book Island Girl as our snorkel/sail excursion in St. Thomas. It was one of the best parts of our week.

Our family group included grandparents (74 and 75 yrs old), kids (8 and 13) and two middle-aged people. At first I was leery of a sail that would keep all ages happy, especially as the older people do have physical limitations. Mike picked us up at the dock as promised; his ship was right beside the Crown Princess and it was nice not having to take a taxi to another bay with all our snorkeling stuff. He says he picks up where ever the cruise ship is docked, whether you're in Crown Bay or Havensight. We then sailed to Buck Island, where the water was very clear and there were turtles, fish, large cowries, even a ray. The kids loved the SeaDoo scooters (very easy to use), and the grandparents decided to try them also. It made snorkeling so much easier - they have 3 speeds and can go quite fast, making it easier to dive down or navigate the coral.

Mike and his first mate Patrick kept their eyes on all the snorkelers, Pat was in the water the whole time helping out when needed, and thanks to their assistance it was a safe and memorable trip. If anyone wants pics just shout out and I'll post some. With the convenient pick-up and the scooters this day sail has a definite edge up on their compadres.

wa.mama--we are going on Island Girl in 5 weeks, did you do a full sail? If so, what was the lunch like? Calm waters??? We have never been sailing before, so I'm just curious if its smooth sailing. Was the water pretty? We can not wait, so excited!! Thanks, kmbb

We did a half-day sail, much to my regret. I wanted to see some of St Thomas and should've skipped that part totally. The water was clear and a bit choppy but apparently an unusual weather pattern hit the southern caribbean that week. There were tons of fish, we brought a little fish food that may have attracted them.

I don't remember any spectacular food: there were plenty of drinks, including rum punch, and cheese, crackers and fruit that I remember. The kids ate quite a bit; the rest of us were waiting for high tea.

I'm jealous of y'all going soon - we wish we were back. Like it so much that I bought 2 sea doo scooters today. Now if I could only import the warm water and fish...... I posted some pictures - click on the link below.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562899207MZYKCP?vhost=good-times&action=refreshPhotos&albumID=562899207&security=MZYKCP

Your pictures are great. What kind of underwater camera did you use? The james bond power snorkels look like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I used an Olympus sp-700 with the underwater housing - it's my favorite underwater camera (small, and has both wide angle and a macro underwater setting) but they don't make them anymore:( My mother purchased a "cheapo" film underwater camera on board and it took good shots as well. I think the water clarity really helps. Use your flash if you can.

Thanks for posting the pictures! Did the boat seem to go fast or were you just sailing along? Did all of you fit in that little raft type boat at once?

They used the motor until the wind was right, and then we sailed quite fast to the island. I didn't think it was as slow as other sails we've gone on. We all fit in the little tender; it was a short ride to the Island Girl - I think the way the pier is set up makes it hard for the sailboat to dock. I think if you want to "walk on" you can meet them wherever their slip is located. My mother has pretty bad hips but was able to make it up and down with Mike's help.

Archived