Ballentine to YVR: what's best transportation?

Hello all you Vancouverites. I'm hoping you can help. Our cruise next month from Hawaii ends up in Vancouver at Ballentine Pier instead of Canada Place (b/c it's RCL). We're staying a few days, but our hotel is near the airport. We figured we'd just get one of those Super Shuttle type services to the airport and get to the hotel with the hotel airport shuttle. Now that I'm poking around, I can't find a shuttle service that goes to/from Ballentine. What are our options? Is RCL or taxi it? Nothing else? I know there's a public bus stop not too far, but I don't know if it's walkable. (Is there a steep hill? Is there a sidewalk? Is it two miles?) Can anyone suggest anything? TIA

Aside from a cab or a limo, your other option from Ballantyne Pier is the Vancouver Shuttle. For $13/person, the shuttle will take you from Ballantyne to either the airport or select Richmond area hotels.

A cab will cost you about $35-$40; a limo, about $50

You can take public transportation for $3.75/person, but you will be transferring at least once (depending on where you hotel is).

Hope that helps.

Edit: Note that Vancouver Shuttle is NOT the Airporter. The Airporter does not go to Ballantyne.

I have only sailed in and out of Ballantyne once and as far as I know the Vancouver Airporter does not go there. The closest transit stop would be too much of a hike with luggage.

The easiest would be to take a taxi ($35CAD), or limo service. If there are other ships in at Canada Place the day you arrive there could be a shortage of taxis - so expect a long wait.

You can check the port of Vancouver website and if there are a few ships in on your date you might want to opt for the ships transfer to the airport or pre book limojet gold - could save you being stuck in an hour + long taxi line. If you get the ship transfer to the airport, most airport area hotels offer a pick up service.

Thanks, yes. Our airport hotel does have a shuttle, so I figured we were good if we could get to the airport.

Your taxi estimate doesn't look as bad as I thought it might be. Our problem is that we have 6 adults and a toddler (we have our own car seat.) I wonder if maybe we should just hire a car on our own since we have a larger group.

Thanks, yes. Our airport hotel does have a shuttle, so I figured we were good if we could get to the airport.

Your taxi estimate doesn't look as bad as I thought it might be. Our problem is that we have 6 adults and a toddler (we have our own car seat.) I wonder if maybe we should just hire a car on our own since we have a larger group.

Yes, hiring a minivan is probably your best-value option considering the number of people in your group. There are car rental companies that will pick you up from the terminal; in fact, Alamo has a shuttle stop at Ballantyne Pier (you may also try Enterprise). Minivan rentals will cost you, on average, $70/day+++. Factoring in gas, and taxes, and possibly drop off fees (if you're dropping it off at the airport), it will cost you a little bit more money than paying for 2 cabs, but you have the convenience of having a car at your disposal for getting around if you want to do a bit of sightseeing.

Tobintemp is correct, the Airporter does not stop or pick up at Ballantyne so you options are a van-cab which there are a few of, limo or a van rental. You may get away with a stretch limo which should cost you less then a van rental. Here is link to YVR website on limos.

http://www.yvr.com/guide/toandfrom/limos.asp

Thanks for the car rental idea, but we were figuring on using public transportation for our 3 days in town. Our hotel is on the bus line and so is everything else we want to do. But I guess it would be another way to go. Our only reason for not doing public transportation from the get go is luggage it looks like a long walk to the nearest bus stop at Ballentyne Pier.

I've explored the limo/van rental option and gotten two quotes for a 9-10 pax van for $114 after all taxes and fees and tips are added in. That's more than two taxis as quoted here, but I'm starting to like the convenience of having it all arranged. Plus, we don't have to worry about where we're going to get Canadian money to pay the cabbies since we'd pre-pay it by credit card.

Thanks all, you've been a big help!

Just wanted to add.............

We sailed from Ballantyne last year. When we got to the pier around 11:00 or so, there was still quite a long line for taxis for the disembarking passengers.

Do not try to walk out of Ballantyne, it is not a good neighborhood! I would prearrange transfers, it would be worth the extra money IMHO.

Also, the cab drivers will take US $$ and also credit cards.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we're back and we used arranged for a 9 pax van from Pearl Limo to pick us up. Worked like a charm. Thanks everyone. It would definitely NOT worked to walk to a bus stop and the taxi line was very long. Our driver was very professional and efficient. Limo (even though we had to get a van for our numbers and luggage) would get my vote as best way to get pier to airport.

Archived