Independent Lamanai ruins tour and getting back ot the boat.

socalsprinter

Hello everyone, me and my wife will be going to Belize on 8/26 with the Carnival Glory. I am very interested in this excursion but my wife is worried about being left behind since Carnival doesn't offer it. My first question is if the itinerary is in "Belize" time or "Ship" time? I wasn't sure if there was a difference but I have seen a 2 hour difference mentioned a few times. We are suppose to get in at 8 am and leave at 5 pm. This seems to be enough time for the excursion but she is worried. :rolleyes: The next is if anyone has had a bad experience with belizecruiseexcursions.com and getting back to the ship? Finally she will be about 4 months pregnant when we are down there and I'm wondering how much hiking there is.

If I can't convince her we will be going to Altun Ha with Carnival but my first choice is Lamanai so any help is appreciated. ;)

I am booked with this company for October, their confirmation has instructions to meet them at the dock at THEIR time, which is 2 hours behind ship time. I think out of the several reviews of this company I have been able to find, I have only read one bad one...they cancelled the party's tour without notice (I believe they said that not enough people were booked to provide the tour). I have not read that anyone missed the ship.

If you end up using them, will you please write a review of it when you get back? Pretty please? :D

it's a lot o hiking over uneven grounds, plus it's hot!! and very humid.

you are walking over tree roots and stone....plus, when we went, the path was wet/slippery. it's a full day tour...40 bus ride, 40 + mins boat ride...long walk around the site and then boat/bus back. the restrooms at near the start of the path, around the site...they were OK for a 3rd world country, but not that clean. restroom at the boat dock (where the bus drops you off) were not much better. bus had restroom, but we were warned not to use it if we could help it.

it's about a mile to 1 1/2 miles around the site....our group was able to take their time, walking around. we were on a ship excursion, on the 1st tender. our bus was on the road, by the time the 2nd tender got to port. even with a early start, we got back just in time for the 2nd to last tender (15 mins before last tender)

keep you watch to ship time, as to not be confused and to know exactly when you need to be back. the tour vendors are very aware of your schedule, they do this every day.

Does anyone have any idea why Carnival does not offer a shore excursion to Lamanai? We are thinking of going "independent" with the tour operator mentioned in above post...But are curious as to why Carnival doesn't go to this particular site....Wondering if Carnival tours had any bad experiences in the past, or were there too many groups the ship had to wait on??? Anyone have a clue?

I took the tour and loved it, as I'm sure you've noted in my other posts on the Belize forum. :)

My best guess is that since it takes up almost ALL of your time in Belize -- meaning first or second tender off the ship, then next to the last or last tender back to the ship, they don't want to assume the time risk.

It may also involve not wanting to displace the very large (spelled "profitable") numbers of people that do the cave tubing, versus the relatively small number of us who want to see the Mayan ruins.

Please don't let it stop you -- it was one of the best shore excursions I've ever taken -- certainly some of the best $75.00 I've ever spent!

P.S. Madonna -- are you going to Egypt, or have you already been -- I can't tell from your signature. I went in February and it was SPECTACULAR!

Thanks to all for your input and recommendations RE: all day shore ex to Lamanai. We are still undecided...If we missed the ship, it sure would be expensive for 6 of us to get to the next port - Roatan!!!

Note to Seafan: Yes, now I know where I know you from ;) ...the Egypt Boards. You were planning your trip about the same time...We were also there in February: 2 days Cairo, 6 days Nile, Abu Simbel and then Petra, Jordan for 2 days. Amazing! One of my favorite vacations ever!

I am glad to see that people are interested in going to Lamanai. We went with BCE in Feb 07 and it remains one of the best experiences I have had is all of my travels. Below is some info I posted when I got back in response to CC questions.

We just returned from a cruise which took us to Belize. I was set on exploring Lamanai. First let me say that we DID go to Lamanai and it was the very best thing I did on the entire 8 day cruise. It was also one of if not the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

A few things to know about if you want to go to Lamanai:

1. Belize is a tender port. You must get out on the first or second tender. I found that cruise ships like to get their excursion passengers off first so make sure to speak to the Purser's Desk and confirm the tendering procedure. On the morning of arrival, make sure to be in the gathering location early and be politely firm about getting off the ship.

2. You will need a print out of your confirmation with tour time - make it as early as possible! The cruise ship will ask for this as proof of an early tour.

3. Have your travel documents with you just in case you miss the tender. The ship leaves ON TIME.

4. The drive from the pier to Orange Walk is at least 1 hour. Then you take a boat ride 24 miles down the New River. We traveled at about 22 knots the entire time so it took us about another hour or so. Then you have to do it all over again to get back!

5. Traffic in Belize City can be tough mid day.

6. If you go bring bug replant and wear good hiking boots/sneakers and pants. There is a lot of mud in areas and if you climb any of the temples you need to have really good footwear and pants. It is warm and humid. You can climb the temple - or not. It is not just climbing stairs - they are steep! Tip: Leave your backpacks on the ground but take a camera.

7. If you go with BCE you will be able to explore at your pace and see as much or as little as you wish and/or time allows.

That being said, I wish we had more time to explore this beautiful place. Because we left so early we were the only ones at Lamanai and it was WONDERFUL. This is a site that does not get a lot of cruise traffic - just what I like. I can not wait to go back to Belize and spend a number of days at Lamanai.

Richard our land based guide drove us to Orange Walk with the speed of a Puma. What a great job.

Jr. took us down the New River with a few stops along the way to see wildlife - including crocodiles. He was fantastic. Jr. also took us around Lamanai and was very knowledgeable. He encouraged us to climb the largest temple - so we did. Now that I am home I can say that I was glad that I did it. What a thrill!

This is not a fancy cruise tour. This is a real experience to be enjoyed.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the great info - I am extremely interested in doing Lamanai - despite the slight risk. From what I have read they do get you back in time - and it is quite the experience. Guess I will bring my travel docs with me just in case?

If we missed the ship, it sure would be expensive for 6 of us to get to the next port - Roatan!!!
Madonna - just curious - how much would it cost? I didn't think it would be that expensive but have not done any research on this!!!

Please understand that I am no expert at this and have not had any personal experience....But I did some research through "Google" and other travel message boards and found several alternatives...The best option seemed to be Atlantic Airlines from Belize City to Roatan...Flights on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays only for $160 one-way.

Also, try this link for info on ferries & buses: http://roatanet.com/faq-5/72.php

Let me know if anyone knows of some better options...Thanks!

Madonna

Here is the web site for Atlantic Airlines based in Honduras:

http://www.atlanticairlinesint.com/

Anyone know Spanish?....It would be interesting to get flight times for the Belize City-Roatan flight.

Good stuff - from what I can see here a flight would not work out: http://www.atlanticairlinesint.com/html/itinerario_y_tarifas.php

Looks like flights from "Belice' to Roatan are at 4 pm on mondays, weds and fridays - I think we are supposed to be in Belize on a Tues - so if we miss the ship we would need to leave on the 4 pm wed flight - however this gets us into roatan at 5:45 pm and the ship is scheduled to leave Roatan at 3 pm.

If Roatan and Belize days are switched - as they have been on recent cruises - then basically we are in another difficult situation - as next day (thurs) is a day at sea - then Friday is Freeport - so you would have 2 days to get yourself back to Freeport to catch the ship - another exciting adventure!

The bus/ferry option sounds quite complicated - I think I need a good map to figure out how to do this.

The only possibility is I know local time and ship's time are not the same so perhaps this might work in our favor? (or not?)

Bottom line is let's sure hope we get back to the ship on time!!! :D

Thanks for the flight times....that doesn't look like such a good option afterall....I still want to go to Lamanai, but I'm not so comfortable with the thought of being responsible for 5 others getting back on time from this excursion....They will go along if I can "guarantee" they'll get back....No way to do that...Maybe they will all decide to go cave tubing & I can go to Lamanai....We can afford 1 risk taker, but not 6!

Party poopers - might miss out on an exciting adventure - and probably with the 6 of you you would be able to charter your own boat or plane - too bad we're not going at the same time but the week after you (hey maybe I'll still run into you at Lamanai/Belize if you're still there??? :D:D:D)

P.S. Just thought of something - I know the recent Glory Western cruises have the 2 ports switched and when this happens you seem to get a longer port stop in Belize - leaving later than the current itinerary says - I am not sure if this itinerary change is permanent - but I guess by August/Sept you can confirm this? If so this might provide less risk to doing the Lamanai tour? I am watching the glory western cruises and so far all the westerns (starting May 17) have had these 2 ports switched!

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Carnival Legend Aug 17 sailing....Scheduled time in port is 8 am-5 pm. Is this about normal for length of time in port in Belize? How long does the Glory stay in Belize when on its normal schedule....And how long does it stay when the port order is switched? Which port does it get switched with?

We are still tempted to try this excursion -- Just wish I could find out why it is no longer offered by Carnival.

I believe current scheduled time for Glory in Belize is from 8 am to 5 pm - and I think there is a 1 or 2 hr time difference depending on when you cruise!

Not sure when Carnival stopped offering this tour - altho I usually do prefer independent tours due to personal experience but if this was offered thru Carnival I'm sure I would book it.

In any case I am already 'in training' for climbing all those steps up the big pyramid!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG please do! Thanks! :D I can not wait! Seems all of the reviews from BCE are a several months old, cant wait to hear a recent review! Will you please include your scheduled time with them and what time you get off the ship to meet them? Still not sure whether I should try to move mine up...

We are scheduled to be in Belize from 8-5 August 21....Can anyone tell me what "time zone" the ship uses for its schedule? Does it stay on Eastern?

Our BCE confirmation says meet at 7:20 AM and depart at 7:30 AM BELIZE time -- which is the same as US MOUNTAIN Time.

Now I am getting confused :confused: and worried :eek: again because if the ship is on Eastern time, it seems our tour could & should depart earlier...perhaps at 7:00 AM Belize time. If we can get an early tender wouldn't a 7:00 AM start be doable? Anyway, I would sure rather have any extra time on the end of the day to allow for getting back to the ship.

Also, if the ship is scheduled for 5 PM sailing, doesn't the last tender run at about 4:30?

Thanks so much!

We are scheduled to be in Belize from 8-5 August 21....Can anyone tell me what "time zone" the ship uses for its schedule? Does it stay on Eastern?

Our BCE confirmation says meet at 7:20 AM and depart at 7:30 AM BELIZE time -- which is the same as US MOUNTAIN Time.

Now I am getting confused :confused: and worried :eek: again because if the ship is on Eastern time, it seems our tour could & should depart earlier...perhaps at 7:00 AM Belize time. If we can get an early tender wouldn't a 7:00 AM start be doable? Anyway, I would sure rather have any extra time on the end of the day to allow for getting back to the ship.

Also, if the ship is scheduled for 5 PM sailing, doesn't the last tender run at about 4:30?

Thanks so much!

This was the most confusing thing about our trip to Lamanai. I just checked - Belize is two hours behind EST. Our Carnival cruise stayed on EST. So if the ship anchors at 8am that would be 6am Belize time. They start tendering pretty quickly.

If you can get off on the first or second tender - very doable - you might be able to start earlier. As long as everyone who is reserved with BCE gets off the ship early. We were the only ones scheduled so we left early.

Do not forget that the last tender might be at 4:30pm ship time that is 2:30 Belize time.

Archived