Drydock?

JeterND93

I'm going on the Wonder August 27, 2009, and I was just wondering when the Wonder is scheduled to go into drydock. I was just on the Spirit the last week in August, and we missed drydock by a couple of months, and I was hoping that maybe the Wonder would have been in drydock before we board. Does anybody know when it's scheduled to go into drydock?

Thanks!!! :)

Wonder's last dry dock was Oct 2006 (see http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1806)

According to a travel agent on micechat.com the next drydock is scheduled for Sept. 27 – Oct. 15, 2009 (previously Sept. 6-24, 2009). (found here: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cruise-lines/92514-disney-wonder-dry-dock-date-change.html )

Same dates on the http://www.***** forums. Can't find anything else on it more officially. Just posts similar to those two with those same dates, supposedly posted by Disney specializing travel agents.

I don't see why anything would be different whether it's the last cruise before drydock or months before. They still load the ship with food, the crew is still onboard, the ship is still going to be in the water, I doubt anything's going to be too different. :D

• 2 weeks later...

:cool: :rolleyes: I was thinking about service, the crews attitude, are they short stock themselves so nothings left over. Those kind of things. I was pretty sure the ship would still be in the water. :p ;)

:cool: :rolleyes: I was thinking about service, the crews attitude, are they short stock themselves so nothings left over. Those kind of things. I was pretty sure the ship would still be in the water. :p ;)

I've never heard of a complaint from someone who's been on the cruise right before it heads into drydock. Plus, 70% of the crew stays with the ship when it's in drydock, don't think they all go home. ;)

I've never heard of a complaint from someone who's been on the cruise right before it heads into drydock. Plus, 70% of the crew stays with the ship when it's in drydock, don't think they all go home. ;)

There were a few complaints posted on the DIS boards about the Magic's last cruise before drydock. Apparently some work was started, including stairway carpet replacement, during the cruise. Some passengers were annoyed with the odors, noise, temporary stairway closing, etc. Of course, I've seen similar maintenance work being done on a ship when drydock is over a year away too! :confused:

There were a few complaints posted on the DIS boards about the Magic's last cruise before drydock. Apparently some work was started, including stairway carpet replacement, during the cruise. Some passengers were annoyed with the odors, noise, temporary stairway closing, etc. Of course, I've seen similar maintenance work being done on a ship when drydock is over a year away too! :confused:

They always seem to be painting or doing some kind of work on the deck. On every cruise i've been on i've noticed that.

I actually think more complaints come the first two to three cruises AFTER dry dock. It appears they never finish the upgrades while in dry dock and as a result are always working on those improvements while you sail. So I guess I rather be on the ship either prior to dry dock or months after.;)

On my honeymoon cruise aboard the Seaward a long time ago, we went to dinner one evening and the carpet in the hallway was there. We came back from the evening out and the carpet was gone. When we got up in the morning, there was new carpet. We never saw or heard anyone working it was like little elves sneaking around.

Maintenance is ongoing as a drydock every three years isn't nearly frequent or long enough to get everything done. The exterior coatings would look very bad if they were recoated only once every three years. On the Magic when she was new there were some rust spots being treated because some parts of the "brand new" ship were three years old.

Yeah but did you read the reports about the 3 day cruise when Magic came OUT of drydock????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

The pools were all green and icky. That's a shame.

The person doing the TR ended up being moved to another cabin. But nothing was done to improve the cabins except new TV's.

Yeah but did you read the reports about the 3 day cruise when Magic came OUT of drydock????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

The pools were all green and icky. That's a shame.

The person doing the TR ended up being moved to another cabin. But nothing was done to improve the cabins except new TV's.

I heard they put in flat screens in the cabins?

:confused: I've got a cruise next month RC Jewel of the Seas coming straight from drydock. Now you've got me worried about that one, too. :eek:

I have seen some complaints on the RCCL board but I can't remember the specifics on them.

I would ask over there and see if you can get some past reports.

On my honeymoon cruise aboard the Seaward a long time ago, we went to dinner one evening and the carpet in the hallway was there. We came back from the evening out and the carpet was gone. When we got up in the morning, there was new carpet. We never saw or heard anyone working it was like little elves sneaking around.

Maintenance is ongoing as a drydock every three years isn't nearly frequent or long enough to get everything done. The exterior coatings would look very bad if they were recoated only once every three years. On the Magic when she was new there were some rust spots being treated because some parts of the "brand new" ship were three years old.

I noticed that too. I was on both the Magic for her inaugual year. she was about 2 months old when I was on her. The thing with a ship is anywhere that water runs over metal, painted or not or anywhere there is rubbing such as the hull to the dock, or where the mooring lines come off the ship, there is going to be rust forming. Its even worse for the ships in the oceans as opposed to the rivers as salt water is much more corrosive.

I was on the Wonder on Sept 14th, and they have a video now on the big screen on the stack and were talking about drydocking a ship. Basically they way it works is that they ship and her owners make up a list of what needs to be done. Then they keep reworking the list until they have one that will fit into a 2 week yard period. Usually the really big things like engine rebuilds and room makeovers, things that are really guest intrusive will take priority in the yard. Other things they do as the time allows.

Yep, that's what I said, new TVs. :D They are LG flatscreens.

I am going to post the link to the pictures on Flickr from the person who was on that first Magic sailing...

I hope he doesn't mind.

The Wonder does not have them yet. She still has the traditional tvs. That was as of the 14th of this month. Shell probably get hers in drydock next year.

The Wonder already had her major drydock that the Magic will be going through. So the Wonder will be a more normal drydock, i.e. cleaning the hull and doing other normal type things.

In these type of cases most of the staff will stay on-board and be enlisted in the effort.

Archived