Furrier recommendations

linda_22003

A friend of mine has recommended David Green in Anchorage, where she has gotten some lovely furs. We'll be on a Regent Seward to Vancouver cruise in May, and we won't have much time in Anchorage. Can anyone recommend furriers along the way (Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, etc.)?

PETA members need not respond. :p

A friend of mine has recommended David Green in Anchorage, where she has gotten some lovely furs. We'll be on a Regent Seward to Vancouver cruise in May, and we won't have much time in Anchorage. Can anyone recommend furriers along the way (Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, etc.)?

LOTS of furriers in Anchorage. David Greene is also in Ketchikan.

If you want a truly spectacular fur (a lot more work and not instant gratification), contact Jack Reakoff in Wiseman, Alaska. He traps lots of Alaska wildlife. His wolf hides are truly spectacular. Lots of beaver and mink.

Then have the coat custom made. I had mine made in Kansas City from skins my husband and our neighbor trapped (coyote). I also have a bomber jacket that I had made from skins I purchased from Jack Reakoff. There aren't many fine fur coat makers left in the USA, but my coats are truly me.

Otherwise, David Greene is your best bet.

Is he still using the same ones from when I was growing up?:eek:

no, he now has his grandkids (i guess) (3-5 years) speaking the script. excruciatingly "cute". slightly better than the "mattress ranch" ads.

i keep a pile of sponges next to the barco lounger that i can throw at the video w/o causing too much damage. after six televisions, i no longer watch the video while drinking beer out of bottles................

no, he now has his grandkids (i guess) (3-5 years) speaking the script. excruciatingly "cute". slightly better than the "mattress ranch" ads.

i keep a pile of sponges next to the barco lounger that i can throw at the video w/o causing too much damage. after six televisions, i no longer watch the video while drinking beer out of bottles................

Yes those are his grandkids and if you've seen the woman and man in the commercial too it's actually David Green (the grandson) and his wife.

I can highly recommend David Green's. Got my first fur parka at 5 (the real David Green helped us, used to drive my Mom crazy because we'd go into the shop, two little kids and he had this huge jar of sticky candy on the desk with all those fur coats there) and now am the proud owner of two of their creations. Even had a cousin call me and between the current David Green's wife, the internet and myself, we got one picked out and Fed Ex'd for my cousin's wife. Always feel their prices are reasonable even though they may be more than some of the other furriers in town, I don't doubt their fur quality at all.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Everyone should love their kids/grandkids, but please, please, keep them out of TV ads. The little boys have now been joined by a little girl, and they all say their lines in that high-pitched monotone with a smile pasted on.

From a purely advertising standpoint, I'd never guess I could get a fine garment from someone using small children in dyed fur coats in their ads.

And that mattress ad! I don't know what would be worse, if those young girls hoochie dancing in the ads really are that old man's granddaughters, or not.

Thank you everyone. David Green it is; the coats I have seen on my friend are scrumptious, and I wouldn't mind a beaver vest at all.

I had a fur parka made in Anchorage by David Green on our Alaska trip this year. I saw it in the window but the store wasn't open for me to be able to try it on when we were there. Then I got to the David Green store in Ketchikan and got measured there. I ordered the parka I had seen in the window only without the tails hanging from it and in fisher instead of muskrat. It is mostly fisher with badger around the bottom and the sleeves, the dog musher pattern on cow hide also around the bottom and the sleeves, sheered beaver in the neckline and wolf trim around the hood. It is a very very heavy parka and is SO warm. I love it.

I had also asked a lot of people living in Alaska where they would recommend to go for a fur. They all said David Green. I'm happy with my choice.

I am not a member of PETA. Nevertheless, I have a conscience, and I find this entire thread disgusting. If someone tosses paint on the fur you wear, it would not be undeserved.

Furthermore, any thread which states "XXXXXXX need not respond" is an invitation to comment by those in opposition, in my opinion. You can not stop Cruise Critic members from replying to any thread, just 'cause you want it to be so.

I am not a member of PETA. Nevertheless, I have a conscience, and I find this entire thread disgusting. If someone tosses paint on the fur you wear, it would not be undeserved.

Furthermore, any thread which states "XXXXXXX need not respond" is an invitation to comment by those in opposition, in my opinion. You can not stop Cruise Critic members from replying to any thread, just 'cause you want it to be so.

Don't think linda was and your outrage is showing, which is ok also.

My opinion perfectly ok question.

Then PLEASE don't go to Alaska. Native Alaskans have traded/sold furs and used fur for 100's of years. Quite a few make their living trapping and hunting. You are downgrading the quality of life in Alaska bush country with your sentiments. Pray tell, how would you survive/make your living in the middle of nowhere with no industry??? Oh, the government, I forgot. Talk about a big shot to your dignity!!!!

Or take a look at the State of Missouri and the hunting outcry. The deer have overpopulated, the farmer's crops (which are HUMAN food) are being ruined by the over populated deer herd. And the deer are now starving due to the farmer's aggressive actions to save their crops (no guns-just loud noises and explosives + hot wired fences). Same thing has happened with the wild turkey population. They have had to bring in BOBCATS to KILL and EAT the turkey population. If you were a turkey, a deer, a wolf, a coyote or a mink and had HUMAN emotions, would you rather starve to death, be ripped apart by other animals for food or be shot with a quick acting bullet???? I know which choice I would make.

If you believe throwing paint on someone is the right thing to do, you do NOT have a conscience.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and to peacefully protesting all you want.

You're not entitled to damage property that does not belong to you. Throwing your butt in jail would not be undeserved if you did throw paint on someone.

Don't think linda was and your outrage is showing, which is ok also.

My opinion perfectly ok question.

Linda stated in her first post in this thread, "PETA members need not respond.."

Therefore, she most certainly was trying to limit replies to those who are not in opposition to her purchase of the skin/fur of dead animals.

She stated, further, that she would like a beaver vest. Unless she plans to dine on beaver, I don't see that the animal is used for any other purpose than to be skinned for its pelt.

That is disgusting. Beavers are wonderful, industrious little animals.

That is disgusting. Beavers are wonderful, industrious little animals.

Who can cause thousands of dollars of damage because they dam up things that they shouldn't. A few pairs have had to be relocated from our University area, because there damming was backing up water into the local university dorms. So at times they aren't very liked around here.

If you believe throwing paint on someone is the right thing to do, you do NOT have a conscience.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and to peacefully protesting all you want.

You're not entitled to damage property that does not belong to you. Throwing your butt in jail would not be undeserved if you did throw paint on someone.

Although I have not personally thrown paint on anyone, or known anyone personally who has done so, I think PETA members who have done so have great regard for the welfare of animals, unlike the selfish humans who would cause an animal to be killed just for their own personal adornment.

Then PLEASE don't go to Alaska. Native Alaskans have traded/sold furs and used fur for 100's of years. Quite a few make their living trapping and hunting. You are downgrading the quality of life in Alaska bush country with your sentiments. Pray tell, how would you survive/make your living in the middle of nowhere with no industry??? Oh, the government, I forgot. Talk about a big shot to your dignity!!!!

I did not mention the government. And, for your information, Ketchikan is not Alaska bush country and the people making the fur may very well be from somewhere outside Alaska. How would you know?

I have a good friend who taught high school way out in cold Fairbanks, even during the winters. She didn't even have indoor plumbing, and it was mighty cold. She did just fine without owning or wearing any fur garments.

Those who CHOOSE to ADORN themselves with fur (as opposed to the natives who live in the very far north who also eat the animals that they kill, then wear the fur) cause a great deal more slaughter of animals than would be done by those in actual need of the animal's meat.

So you are not a member of the organization of PETA, which supports the ethical treatmentnof animals, you just wanted to make an ignorant joke.

Ouch, if I had feelings, they'd be hurt.

Now I'm off to have some baby harp seal burgers for dinner :)

Who can cause thousands of dollars of damage because they dam up things that they shouldn't. A few pairs have had to be relocated from our University area, because there damming was backing up water into the local university dorms. So at times they aren't very liked around here.

However, their habitat was disrupted by the university, so would you expect anything different?

However, their habitat was disrupted by the university, so would you expect anything different?

Actually this one a new family that moved in as there hadn't been beavers there for years. So Fish & Game wasn't quite sure how they ended up there.

I can tell you last winter they were definitely busy little beavers along the bike trails by my house. It was like they were clear cutting whole areas. I've never seen that much activity since I moved in 11 years ago.

Archived