First timer with questions

hasakahat

I've searched and searched but I'm not finding any answers. I'm hoping someone will take pity on me, even if this has been asked a million times and I'm just missing it!

We are going on a 4 day Baja trip 2/23/09 (on Paradise, not sure if any other ships sail this route). I'm not sure what to expect for the weather while in port or on the ship. I've looked up the average temp for that time of year but honestly it doesn't give me much to go on. I don't want to pack for cool weather and have it be too warm or the other way around. I live in Utah so anything over 40 sounds like heaven right now! LOL.

I've read that it is cheaper to book any excursions on your own but I'm not sure what to go do! We stop in Catalina and Encinada. Is it possible to just wander off the boat and "hang out" or are we going to need a taxi or some other transportation to get into town?

I think these are my only two concerns for now, though I'm sure I'll think of something else. I'm getting really excited for the trip and even though we haven't been yet I'm considering canceling our timeshare this year and using our points toward a cruise. :)

Thanks for any info you can share!

Heather

I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers to your questions as I am a first timer myself. I figured this would be a good place to post my own question. Do the pools and hot tubs on the ship close or are they open 24/7? I figure I'm staying on the Lido deck, so it's right down the hallway to the pool, might as well get a night swim in if I can!

I've searched and searched but I'm not finding any answers. I'm hoping someone will take pity on me, even if this has been asked a million times and I'm just missing it!

We are going on a 4 day Baja trip 2/23/09 (on Paradise, not sure if any other ships sail this route). I'm not sure what to expect for the weather while in port or on the ship. I've looked up the average temp for that time of year but honestly it doesn't give me much to go on. I don't want to pack for cool weather and have it be too warm or the other way around. I live in Utah so anything over 40 sounds like heaven right now! LOL.

I've read that it is cheaper to book any excursions on your own but I'm not sure what to go do! We stop in Catalina and Encinada. Is it possible to just wander off the boat and "hang out" or are we going to need a taxi or some other transportation to get into town?

I think these are my only two concerns for now, though I'm sure I'll think of something else. I'm getting really excited for the trip and even though we haven't been yet I'm considering canceling our timeshare this year and using our points toward a cruise. :)

Thanks for any info you can share!

Heather

We've been on the Paradise twice (check the pics in my signature). As far as the temps, it will be warm in Ensenada, but Catalina and the sea day will pretty much match whatever the temperature is in SoCal, so check the LA or San Diego temps, it could be really nice (like it is right now-70 down there today I think) or could be much colder. And at night it will be chilly outside because of the wind. In Catalina I would suggest renting a golf cart and taking your own island tour ($40/hour with a $40 returnable deposit, cash only). There's also a submarine tour, but have never done that, otherwise, just walking around the quaint town shopping and eating is fun. As far as Ensenada, you can't easily walk from the ship, so you'd need to decide on something and take a taxi from the port, we usually don't get off the ship in Ensenada and use it as a 'sea day' with a less than half full ship.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers to your questions as I am a first timer myself. I figured this would be a good place to post my own question. Do the pools and hot tubs on the ship close or are they open 24/7? I figure I'm staying on the Lido deck, so it's right down the hallway to the pool, might as well get a night swim in if I can!

No the pools and hot tubs don't stay open 24/7, they have hours and vary depending on the ship and pool and hot tub, I think the latest anything is open is about 10:00 p.m. with most closing about 8:00 p.m. Can't tell what ship you're on, but I guess it's not the Paradise since they don't have cabins on the Lido deck.

i'm going on the elation out of san diego on 2/15. this is the same itinerary as the paradise. It's my first cruise as well but the weather in southern california that time of year is very mild and really nice. i'm only taking a light sweater unless i find out that week it's suppose to rain (which more than likely it won't). Ensenada should be very nice weather hopefully as well.

what the heck is there to do in Ensenada other than drink?

For all of you first timers,

You can look at the threads or post your questions about Mexican ports in the Ports of Call section of CC. I quickly scanned it for the Catalina Island port and didn't see any threads but you can do a search.

There are several threads about Ensenada in the Mexico section. You could always post any Catalina questions in the Mexico section and a moderator will move it to its proper location if there is another location for it.

I was born and raised in So Cal, so I can verify that it can get cold and rainy in California. It can very from 80s to 50s. I would definitely bring a windbreaker.

Have fun on your first cruise. :p

I've sailed this route 3 times, twice on purpose (Paradise twice, Pride once). DW says she doesn't need to go to Ensanada any more.

Catalina - walk around and shop, glass bottom boat is nice, all tours are slightly less expensive if you purchase them on shore rather than through the ship. I'd consider using the ship if I were leaving the Avalon area.

Not much to do in Ensanada except drink, shop and drink some more.

Actually, I've enjoyed the wine country tour (yes, with wine tasting). The trip to the Fox movie studios sounds good, but I haven't taken it.

The La Bufadora Adventure was a waste, at least the day I was there. The locals are proud of it, and really think it is great, but it is an hour on a bus, walk half a mile downhill through a "shopping area" (think county fair with really pushy vendors), see the blowhole (15-20 minutes is plenty), then hike back up to the parking lot to wait for your bus. The bar (shack) does serve a good cold drink.

We purchased the La Bufadora tickets in town right where the shuttle drops you off. The ship tour was about $23, we paid $17 (if I remember correctly, this was on my first Paradise trip). A gentleman from our table was on the same bus, he bought his ticket on the ship.

Weather - almost forgot. Catalina is an Island you can see (on a clear day) from the Long Beach harbor. Weather will be the same as LA, or a little cooler depending on the sea breeze. Ensanada is only 75 miles or so south of San Diego, so weather is about the same or just a little warmer than San Diego. My Feb 08 trip was light jacket (lined windbreaker) weather. Much warmer than Salt Lake City, but not shorts and tank top weather.

Any questions, ask away.

Archived