Using Timeshare Points?

Caramel1398

Hello,

We are helping some friends plan a cruise with us for January 2010 and they are interested in using their timeshare points through RCI. So, we've been looking at that and trying to help them plan. My question is, how does that work? From what it looks like, the prices are about the same that we've seen on other TA websites. So, can anyone explain how this works? Would they save quite a bit with their "points" off of what is listed as the price? Or is it not as great of a way to save as they think it is? Might they be better off booking through somewhere else (another TA site for example?)

Thanks for any help... It's just kind of confusing for us since we've never done the timeshare thing...

Caramel1398

I have found using RCI points (RCI has tightened their belts in the past year for cruises and airline flights) that a TA can do much better in the long run for you.

Check the website for the Princess price on your trip and then contact your TA for their price. I bet they will do much better, unless they have points to burn. We have lost a few points lately because of new restrictions.:(

I looked at exchanging a week of timeshare through interval international to book a cruise. It was very complicated, and only ended up saving $40 over what I could book it for elsewhere. Not worth it for me, but it's worth checking out for your timeshare.

I have RCI weeks and I did look into it last fall for my upcoming cruise Nov. 2009 It wasn't really worth it. You have to book through RCI Cruise, and there's an exchange fee so by the time you pay that it comes out about the same. :)

Thanks for the information... So, it doesn't sound like it would really be worth all the extra effort involved. Basically the prices they have quoted on the RCI site are not going to come out to be less because of any points they may have and use towards it, right?

Thanks again!

Archived