About Me

• Interests
    yes
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    yes
  • Favorite Cruise Destination Or Port of Call
    Caribbean

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

mfs2k's Achievements

1,000+ Club

1,000+ Club (7/20)

1. I've found that between work computers, my phone, and now even my Apple Watch, I'm constantly glued to a screen, which has really led to eye fatigue. By the end of the day, my eyes start twitching, and my vision has become noticeably blurrier. I’m 65, and up until recently, I had 20/20 vision and never needed glasses. When I’m on vacation, I don’t lock my phone in the safe, but I love being able to put it away and not check it constantly. On a recent trip to Europe, I didn't have Wi-Fi or data in the ports, and it was such a relief to not be glued to a screen all day. I totally get why some people are proud when they can lock their phones away during a cruise. It’s no small feat, especially since most of us are pretty attached to our devices. It’s not like giving up something you can completely quit, like smoking or drinking. It’s more like food—you can’t just stop eating, but you can make better choices. Saying “I stayed away from the dessert buffet today” is definitely something to feel proud of, just like taking a break from our screens.
  2. Coffee with dessert should not be a diversion to the norm, yet it seems to be in a Carnival dining room. As I said earlier, I experienced the same issue. Just a thought. Maybe they intentionally make getting coffee difficult and having awful tasting coffee, so people stop asking for it. Boom. Problem fixed. No more diversion. Ripples smoothed out.
  3. As others have said, on an 8-9 night cruise out of New York in November, there will be few kids unless you're sailing Thanksgiving Week (US). It won't be an intense party atmosphere either. Spring break time (Feb-April) is more party-centric. It will be an older couples crowd, 40's to 70's and some older. There will also be various groups as this is a time groups plan outings and they good deals from the cruise lines. I've often said the problem with cruising out of New York is you're cruising with a lot of New Yorkers, and we tend to be a pretty intense and stessed out bunch until we get a day or two to chill. Many will be impatient when they board and anxious for the first couple of drinks. The inside bars will be crowded the first day or two with people trying to get the bartender's attention. The other consideration you need to factor is weather. It won't be warm enough to sit outside until your second sea day and the on the return heading north, you won't want to be outside on the last sea day. You'll be inside a lot more than if you sailed out of a southern state such as Texas or Florida where it's warmer year-round.
  4. Somewhere, someone is being served ""the worst coffee known to man" Maybe it was his lucky day.
  5. From this scenario, I would assume that the ship oversold the porthole category on your sailing and when that happens, they need to upgrade some cabins if they are unable to upsell them first. If you said "I really want the porthole category I booked" they would have upgraded someone else. This happens in hotels all the time too. It's managing the rooms inventory and blocking rooms.
  6. I think you're both missing the point. The point about breakfast is there is now an EXPECTATION to use the app to be seated for breakfast in the dining room, rather than walking up to the host stand and asking to be seated. I don't dislike the practice of using the app for those who choose to do so. I dislike the Expectation to follow this process. It's now the rule and not the exception. I'm personally not a fan. I get that you don't mind it.
  7. You've been on many cruises. You are aware the servers are not hovering over your table once dessert is served, to see what else you may need. They're tending to other tables, or preparing for a musical/dance performance, and they are not readily available to ask repeatedly. I just went through this personally last week. Its frustrating if you want a simple cup of coffee with dessert and it's not served. these people ARE busy and coffee isn't their priority.
  8. I am sure I am not projecting. I am not generalizing this. It was one person in one higher position (white uniform) on one ship but it was real.
  9. Before computers did most of the work, the ship sailing coordinator worked behind the scenes in the corporate office who assigned guarantee'd cabins and was in charge of making sure everyone was in the correct room type and room. There typically was one sailing coordinator for each ship. When ships didn't sail full and there were available cabins, they had some flexibility to upgrade. I was working in the industry and had connected with the coordinator of a few ships I was sailing on and got upgraded. Those days are over I think.
  10. By day 2 I was ordering 1/2 a cup of coffee and 1/2 a cup of hot water and blending them.
  11. I've been upgraded (not upsold) to suites in the past by the ship's sailing coordinator. It's a great feeling when they do that for you. What category did you upgrade from and to?
  12. If you read this thread, this issue is happening a lot across different ships. That's a process problem.
  13. As long as your expectation is met, that works. When I go to a diner for breakfast I don't have the same expectation as when I go to a nice restauarant for dinner.

If you are already a Cruise Critic member, please log in with your existing account information or your email address and password.