Where to find underwater cameras? Plus more.....

pampaul

We're heading off on our first cruise in a couple months. I would love to get a few disposable underwater cameras. Can someone tell me where to get them and how much they are?

Also, I'm not that much into photography but would love to take some classes someday. But I'm wondering, do you need a special camera to take panoramic photos or just order your pics that way?

Thanks

I picked up a couple at the camera shop in our local mall - sorry I don't remember what I paid. I imagine you could also find them at the photo desk at you local Target or Wallmart.

I have a camera that has a panoramic setting on it - so I can change from standard 35mm to panoramic. I have also seen advertisements lately for disposables that are for panoramic - I don't know what kind of picture quality they would have though.

I just bought an Aquapac, which is similar to a Ziplock bag and you put your digital camera in it and the pictures are awesome. They come out much better than the disposables. I've tried both Fuji and Kodak disposables and neither came out very good at all. With the Aquapac you cannot even tell you took the picture through the plastic, even when using a flash. I got mine from Amazon.com and they have two sizes, depending on the size of the camera. I got the biggest one for about 45.00 I think. If you buy a few disposables and then get them printed, you're going to spend at least that much and pics with your regular digital will be much better anyway. Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

You can pick up disposable cameras pretty much anywhere. Long's, Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid.

They cost anywhere from $7 to $10, depending on whether or not they are waterproof.

One thing to remember is that disposables have a very short shooting range, no more than 10 feet, even with fast speed film and a flash. Anything further away than that and pics come out very dark.

T

We went snorkling in the western caribbean and used the disposable waterproof cameras. It took great pics. they were extremely clear. i was happy with my pics, i had no complaints, but im not a fuss budget either. and yes, take pics of the family underwater... make those memories!! the cameras i got were Kodak waterproof disposables, about 10 - 12.00.. a good investment for me since im not into fancy cameras. good luck, and have lots of FUN!!:)

• 2 weeks later...
We're heading off on our first cruise in a couple months. I would love to get a few disposable underwater cameras. Can someone tell me where to get them and how much they are?

Also, I'm not that much into photography but would love to take some classes someday. But I'm wondering, do you need a special camera to take panoramic photos or just order your pics that way?

Thanks

just bought mine at Target for $9.88. It was a Kodak. 27 Exp.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I bought 4 of them yesterday at Walmart (Kodak---27 exposure) They were normally $8.94 but I had (4) $3.00 off coupons so I paid $5.94 for each of them. Yippee!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind the less expensive cameras are only good to a limited depth. Kodak makes one (Max) that is good up to 50' I think. The $8 ones are good for a depth of about 10-12 feet, which is fine for snorkleing, but if you plan to dive or Snuba, get the better camera.

vincenzo:)

Very good point, the Kodaks are rated at 50' and the Fujifilm ones I mentioned (2 for 11.88) I believe are rated for 35'. Basically, if you don't know how deep you are going, and your snorkeling, either one of those cameras will be fine. However, if you are going SCUBA diving, you may want to check to see how far you will be diving ahead of time. Those cameras will work past the rated depths, as I am a SCUBA diver and have taken them lower, but I wouldn't risk vacation pictures by doing so. If you go any lower than the rating suggests, you will notice the camera imploding on itself which could damage the film or more importantly the outer plastic and seals, which keeps the water out in the first place.

Also, for future Info, I just got off the Carnival Miracle and they sold a REUSABLE underwater camera WITH flash for 15.99. It came with a roll of film and they even gave you a second roll of film for free if you got the first roll developed by them (at 29 cents a picture). That camera was rated at 100', which I am SURE would be just find for just about everyone, SCUBA and snorkelers.

I didn't pick one of these cameras up and I am really kicking myself now, as I don't believe there is a better deal for underwater cameras anywhere (that I can find anyway).

BTW, regarding my last post, for all of you that may say that it has to be a cheapo camera, your right. its a simple point and shoot, manual wind, no zoom, basically a reusable disposable. However, for people going out and buying more than one or two waterproof disposables, this would definatly be a good deal for them.

If anyone has several hundred dollars to spend, carnival also has several very nice Olympus digital cameras with waterproof casings for sale in the photo gallery.

Keep in mind the less expensive cameras are only good to a limited depth. Kodak makes one (Max) that is good up to 50' I think. The $8 ones are good for a depth of about 10-12 feet, which is fine for snorkleing, but if you plan to dive or Snuba, get the better camera.

Thank you for the reminder about depth. I had picked up a couple cameras for my sister and I to take cave tubing in Belize and hadn't worried about the depth. Now that we are looking at a SNUBA excursion in another port I will be checking if a depth of 35' is enough for what the SNUBA hoses allow.

Thank you for the reminder about depth. I had picked up a couple cameras for my sister and I to take cave tubing in Belize and hadn't worried about the depth. Now that we are looking at a SNUBA excursion in another port I will be checking if a depth of 35' is enough for what the SNUBA hoses allow.

The max depth in the USVI is 20ft' date=' according to their website. chechout www.snuba.com for other locations, or www.visnuba.com for the USVI.

The max depth in the USVI is 20ft, according to their website. chechout www.snuba.com for other locations, or www.visnuba.com for the USVI.

Thank you, vincenzo. My sister is planning this excursion and I'm not sure which port she is planning for - Cozumel or Nassau. I will give her the link and be sure we check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably hard to beat your local walmart for disposables. I bought a waterproof digital for under $300, the Pentax Optio WPi (6MP) and it's now my main point and shoot camera! I really enjoy it, takes great pictures, and I never worry about it getting wet! It is not a replacement for a regular camera, just my point and shoot (canon S410, which developed problems).

Some regular digital cameras have special housings you can buy that allow them to go pretty deep without getting wet inside.

Whatever you choice, have a great time!

Just saw this link on the top of cruise critic page. These prices are great!!

http://www.ecamerafilms.com/SearchResults.asp

Be real careful with these cheapies. The price is great, but the quality????

Besides these are not water "proof".

I just bought two disposable Kodak Max that are rated to take pictures down to 40 feet or so. It uses 35mm film instead of being digital. Again, the quality may not be great, but neither is my under-water photography. It is better than spending another $400 for a camera that is not all that well rated for its overall quality either.

I used to have a 35mm Canon that was waterproof and we had great fun with it on a sailing trip to Thailand. http://www.*****.com/thailand.htm

It worked fine until I got careless and did not clean the rubber seal before using it later on a snorkeling trip. I could use one like that again. Anyone know if they are still around?

Archived