Obstructed view on Gem

letsgomets

Taking this cruise next February. Mom is coming along and booked an obstructed view cabin. She booked one of the "sideways" ones that supposedly has a picture window rather than porthole. Anyone know how obstructed the view is? When I drove by the ship, the lifeboats seemed to block the windows pretty extensively, but obviously couldn't tell what it looks like from inside cabin.

It is hard to tell if the cabin looks out at a "break" between lifeboats or not. If not, this is probably a typical view to expect.

Be aware also that there is a catwalk along the ship that crew members use to access the life boats....they may be out there, working on the boats from time to time.

obstructedViewCabin.jpg.052661d001eeb1e48474fe3bbff9bf68.jpg

Taking this cruise next February. Mom is coming along and booked an obstructed view cabin. She booked one of the "sideways" ones that supposedly has a picture window rather than porthole. Anyone know how obstructed the view is? When I drove by the ship, the lifeboats seemed to block the windows pretty extensively, but obviously couldn't tell what it looks like from inside cabin.

Stayed in an abstructed on the Gem a few yrs. back. I think it was also one of the sideways cabins. I remember that you had to close your curtains because of the light shinning on the life boats. The view just depends on your cabin and where the lifeboats are. The obs. cabins are a bargin since the 8th deck is central to most things. The Blue Lagoon is on Deck 8, great place to get a cup of coffee or a light snack. We have booked another Obstructed this winter for a 9 day cruise. So they can't be that bad:)Enjoy your cruise and don't worry, besides how long to you look out your window.forgot to mention there is a catwalk which crew members use for repairs etc.

It is hard to tell if the cabin looks out at a "break" between lifeboats or not. If not, this is probably a typical view to expect.

Be aware also that there is a catwalk along the ship that crew members use to access the life boats....they may be out there, working on the boats from time to time.

Good picture of the obstructed view. Hope this helps the poster.

Archived