Cruising the Freedom Oct/2007

beachie

We have been on multiple cruises, but have never experienced a balcony. This will be our first european cruise which is 12 nights.

The difference in price from an inside cabin to a balcony is about $1600 a couple.

I could swing this; however, I'm not sure it's worth that much extra for a balcony. For the extra, I could actually book a caribbean cruise for 2.

If anyone can help me out deciding, I'd really appreciate it.

Ultimately, you have to decide yourself. Some will say they will never cruise without a balcony. Others choose more inexpensive rooms and cruise frequently because it leaves them more money. Others have trouble getting time off to cruise, so when they do, they splurge.

Nobody knows your situation like you do...

12 night cruise. How many mornings will you sit out on your balcony and drink coffe or tea? How many afternoons do you think you'll sit out there just enjoying watching the water go by and how many nights will you sit out there with a glass of wine or whatever you drink to enjoy the stars? If you're answer to that is "not sure or not many" then why pay for the balcony if you won't use it. However if you think "each and every day of the cruise" then the cost is minimal compared to the memories you will have. However the last comment is so very true.. we have gone with windows when we expect to spend very little time in the room. However on a seven day or longer, we do use the balcony and don't even consider booking a room without one.

I wouldn't book a balcony for a Europe cruise unless there were plenty of sea days which your cruise won't have.

We did the Liberty Europe last year. It is quite port intensive. You're up at the crack of dawn and are spending probably most of the day off the ship.

On our cruise there were only 3 sea days. After our time in port, once we were back on the ship we were usually so tired we slept a couple of hours.

We did a Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago. 12 nights with 5 sea days. Had a balcony, very enjoyable.

To see the beauty of Europe you are going to need a 360 view not just what you see from the balcony, the best view is the highest point of the ship.:D

We went in June best inside guarantee we end up on Riviera deck, no noise, close to the exit. It was perfect. You wont need anything else! You wont be in the room with those ports and the entertainment on board.I prefer to spend less and go more!!!!!!!! JA! Really what i save is going to the next one.

Another thing and its very important.We went in June and at night and mornings it was chilly. Sometimes at night I would not go out on deck because of it was cold.. In October I think is going to be worse.

We are booked on Freedom in September and took the inside because like others have said this is very port intensive and we didn't think we would get our money's worth from it. On the few mornings we have to enjoy it I think I will get some extra sleep and by the time I'm up I'll be itching to get out of the cabin. I would book that Carribean cruise and look for a balcony deal. I booked one yesterday. Feb 29 on NCL Jewel, 9-night southern Carribean, roundtrip MIA, balcony $2099 for the two of us all tax/port charges included. It has a great itinerary too. Check it out. I also agree Hawaii was a great balcony cruise.

Melissa

I was on the Freedom's maiden voyage and while I normally book inside I booked OV guar and was upgraded to a balcony. I agree with a previous poster that it's a very port intensive cruise and I think sis and I were only out there 2 or 3 times.

The other thing I noticed is that in Europe (this was my 1st time) most of the ports were very industrial, not really a "pretty" view to enjoy at least when your docked.

I will definately stay with my insides just to allow me 3 or 4 cruises a year in the future.

Archived