Quit smoking and turning 40 = 40 pounds

kathyemma

UGH. I am done. When I sailed last Nov for Thanksgiving I had just quit smoking and put on maybe 5 pounds. I was okay with that and life was good. I went to Disney with my dd in April and almost died. NONE of my shorts fit. So I gave up junk food and started walking. I kept gaining. I have now put on 40 pounds and I am NOT happy. I went to the Bahamas last week for 9 days and was just miserable walking around being so heavy. I sail again this Nov and I am going to try my best to lose the 40 pounds. My other option is to put on another 100 and then audition for biggest loser. I did weight watchers after my dd was born and had a lot of luck with that. I might try the online version. Another part of my problem is I work from home, so most of day is spent on the couch. I never have to get up to go to talk to anyone or grab a fax.

I am going to read thru the other posts on here. But I would love to find someone else who is trying to lose 40 pounds by Nov. Maybe get a little contest started?

Kathy

PS And I really think the anti smoking campaigns should focus on money wasted on cigarettes and the weight you WILL gain when you finally decide to quit. Pretty sure that would make most girls think twice before starting.

First of all CONGRATS! Stopping smoking is HUGE and you and your family will benefit from that.

I wish you luck with your weight loss journey and if WW worked for you before, that is where I would start. Look through the threads and you may find something else that appeals to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I can relate to that! I had to quit smoking in April 2009 because I needed an operation to replace disks in my neck. After the operation, I felt so good with clear lungs that I never picked up another cigarette. I told my husband that when I walk now, my legs give out before my lungs do!

It is hard to believe that I am still smoke-free. I smoked many years and actually had no desire to quit. Fortunately now I am smoke-free yes - unfortunately skinny no! I too took clothes on a recent cruise only to find out after the ship sailed that nothing with a zipper fit anymore!

I am now 30 pounds overweight and still climbing with a cruise to the Bahamas coming up in March 2012. I either lose the excess baggage or forget lounging by the pool.:o

I'm game for a little inspiration to shed those unwanted pounds!

I work from home, so most of day is spent on the couch. I never have to get up to go to talk to anyone or grab a fax.

Oh, I get ya! Totally! Same here. I even work on my laptop so I'm totally on the couch.

The one thing that I've made sure is that I have healthy snacks available. I eat A LOT of snap peas because the bit of sweet and the good crunch.

I found that once I hit 30, my metabolism came to a very quick stop. I work out for at least five to six hours a week, eat pretty well, and gain. Sucks! Anyhoo, this is a great board to be a part of for motivation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived