HELP!! Only 5 hours in Freeport

Birdnutty

NCL, for some ungodly reason, has scheduled our stop in Freeport from 7 AM to noon. We're at a loss as to what to do. Most things won't be open right away, we only really have about 3.5 - 4 hours max available, and can't do the one thing we'd really like to, which is the beaches and caves. We're not shoppers or bar hoppers, and prefer to avoid the touristy stuff and see the natural beauty of the places we go to.

I just checked out the tide chart for when we'll be there, and even that's against us. We were hoping to maybe go to a pretty beach, but it looks like the prettiest ones will be under water while we're there. I wonder if that's also why our ship's excursion to the beaches and caves excursion is not accepting reservations - the tide will be coming in and high for the duration. (we'll be there on the 26th Feb)

I'm so bummed. What on earth can we do with such a short, odd time?

We're going horseback riding. Plenty of time.

BTW, the "ungodly reason" is that NOAA has placed mandatory restrictions on vessel speeds in the NY area due to marine wildlife migratory patterns. Thus they are arriving later than normal at Port Canaveral and leaving earlier at Grand Bahamas.

Hi,

Here is a copy of the NCL Notice regarding the change to the Itinerrary. I agree that 5 hours, in the morning is not a great amount of time to see what Freeport area has to offer. Oh well, it could be worse, I could be in Chicago snow blowing the driveway. DaveJohn, looking forward to our Cruise on March 21st. See you then.

Craig

nclnote.pdf

The horse back riding is a great idea. I believe her first ride in at 10:30. Her horses are healthy and happy doing what they love every day.

She DOES take you right deep into the water so be prepared to get wet! You get LOADS of beach that seldom has anyone on it. However if you DO want to do this and there is a ship load of people book it NOW as she only takes out 6 people at a time.

We're going horseback riding. Plenty of time.

BTW, the "ungodly reason" is that NOAA has placed mandatory restrictions on vessel speeds in the NY area due to marine wildlife migratory patterns. Thus they are arriving later than normal at Port Canaveral and leaving earlier at Grand Bahamas.

Wow. That's a new one on me. Is that something new? How did you find that out? They must seriously restrict it for a long distance, because it seems to add many hours onto the trip.

But I am a wildlife advocate and I'm all for it. Just wish I had more time in Freeport. And I just had a hip replacement and am allergic to horses. No riding for me. :(

Well, thanks for the info. I'm still very disappointed, but I will deal. I'm sure just a few hours on a beautiful beach will suffice, and I can try for the other things I want to see next time.

There is a resort, I think the Sheraton. They have cab rides from the pier. About 20 minutes away. There is time to go to the beach.

Archived