Baltic excursion

Hello, I'm going on a Baltic cruise (Bergen to Stockholm with a stop in St. Petersburg). I use a wheelchair but can climb onto a bus and walk short distances with help (balance problems). My wheelchair is collapsible. I found some private excursions with wheelchair lifts but they are pricey. Any suggestions? And if I splurge on just just a couple excursion, which are the not to be missed ones?

Hello, I'm going on a Baltic cruise (Bergen to Stockholm with a stop in St. Petersburg). I use a wheelchair but can climb onto a bus and walk short distances with help (balance problems). My wheelchair is collapsible. I found some private excursions with wheelchair lifts but they are pricey. Any suggestions? And if I splurge on just just a couple excursion, which are the not to be missed ones?

several years ago we used Anastasia who arranged wheelchair provision for Hermitage

next year we are going with TJ tours who have arranged free wheelchair for whole of tour and even offered wheelchair pusher free of charge

We are 5 people in 6 seater van and paying $340 each

you will probably be able to attract tourmates from your roll call who want a low level activity to cut costs but don't limit yourself to a big bus tour -private tour guides will work with you to maximise your experience

We were able to easily DIY all of the cities, except for St. Petersburg with a 3 year old and his stroller in tow. The public transportation was excellent everywhere and that was how we got around most cities except St. Petersburg. If no one can answer your questions here, I'd email the local tourist information bureaus to ask them how accessible their public transportation systems are.

Bergen could be tough in terms of public transportation (our Baltic cruise didn't go there, but our Norway one did) because it's a smaller city and the public transportation doesn't go everywhere. The Norway TI is excellent and you can ask them about transportation. You can hire a cab, or there are HOHO buses. You can hire a cab in Bergen ahead of time - they have contact info available online.

We had a private tour for just our family (3 people) in St. Petersburg because we had our 3 year old son. They brought the van right up to all the entrances to minimize walking. I'd definitely recommend a private tour (either a 16 person group tour or private tour for just your family) in St. Petersburg, since they will be able to help drop you off closer than where a large ship tour can get you.

Tallinn could be tough - it's a beautiful medieval city with cobblestones and there are restrictions on cars. There are pedicabs that can take you on a tour of the city, plus a silly child train that goes around but actually has very nice views, and was quite pleasant for the parents.

My signature line has our review of the cruise, and there is a lot there for people with disabilities.

You might be able to do all of those pricey excursions on your own if you can arrange for transportation ahead of time (except for St. Petersburg which is logistically difficult).

I took my wheelchair on a Baltic cruise with no problem. In SPB we did the excellent two day Comfort Tour with Alla. I managed everything except the metro ride.

We have been to Bergen a couple of times and taken the HOHO. In Tallin we took a taxi to the top of Toompea Hill and walked down. The most disabled unfriendly place on the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums