Getting in the Carnival TALENT SHOW

Patinthehat

Alright, here's the deal. My brother and I have got a pretty cool song practised and ready to perform on our next Carnival cruise, abord the Glory. We are playing a song where he plays a clean guitar, I play a cowbell for the beat and rhythm, and we both sing. We would really like to perform this on the Glory in the Talent Show, but we have never done it before, and don't want to bring his guitar for nothing.

Is there anyone here who is kind enough to give us a few tips for getting on the show, maybe someone who has been in it before?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Patinthehat

Pay attention to the Capers. They'll tell you when the rehearsals are. I think they can have up to 6 or so individual acts in the guest talent show. I don't think they audition for them or anything. I'm not sure what they do if there are more people than time slots.

Ask the CD or cruise staff early in the cruise how to get in. I'm bout 98% sure if you tell them you brought your guitar along and you've been praticeing to do the show you'll get in for sure. There good about that kind of stuff.

Cheers,

Rog

I was very disappointed with the talent show on the Miracle cruise on January 8th. There was some really good talent and I felt like they were not taken seriously. they have their Dancer's as judges and one of them was a smart #$ who thought he was Simon Cowell of "American Idol". He gave low score's 1's and 2's, criticized one of the Ladies outfits and voted for the person who had Zero talent and dressed as a Drag Queen. The Winner didn't even sing and was laughing and sitting on the Judges lap the whole time, he didn't even know the words to the song he was singing. The whole act was a joke. I was upset for the People who paticipated that were serious and were not given the score's they deserved.

Teri

I was in the talent show on the Celebrity...

I asked Risa (the CD) at the Captains Party about the talent show, and she told me when they would choose.

On the Celebrity Five day cruise (it is NOT a contest) everyone was invited to come to the piano bar and sign up. They planned for six participants and if more showed up they would choose names from a hat.

After we signed up, we went to the rehearse with the Band. That night we showed up and performed. Everyone got a "24 carat miniature ship" (aka we were told they were no longer called a Ship on a Stick.)

It was a blast, and singing "My Way" with the band was an incredible experience.

JB

Do they even still do it as a Talent Show? Is it more like an American Idol show now? Anyway I've been on several Carnival talent shows bringing my mandolin on board to perform. Usually it's a first come first serve and no joke tellers or karoke. That leaves mostly singers and a harmonica player or two.

If you get signed up there is a rehearsal. If you need the staff band backing you up, which I did they will rehearse one time with you. The show is usually the same night or next night. Rehearsal time could be most anytime they can schedule it around other ship acts that need to practice so it could run into your bingo game or belly flop contest time. It's not always a sea day and could prevent you from your paid excursions. I say take the guitar and hope for the best. If you don't make it just sit out on the back of the Lido deck and entertain the crowd there. They won't know if Carnvial hired you or not. I did that one time and put out a tip jar. Got enough in tips and selling CDs to pay for the cruise. Last time I did it seems there were judges that voted to put the winner in a pot for a free cruise. This was on the Miracle.

I was very disappointed with the talent show on the Miracle cruise on January 8th. There was some really good talent and I felt like they were not taken seriously. they have their Dancer's as judges and one of them was a smart #$ who thought he was Simon Cowell of "American Idol". He gave low score's 1's and 2's, criticized one of the Ladies outfits and voted for the person who had Zero talent and dressed as a Drag Queen. The Winner didn't even sing and was laughing and sitting on the Judges lap the whole time, he didn't even know the words to the song he was singing. The whole act was a joke. I was upset for the People who paticipated that were serious and were not given the score's they deserved.

Teri

I'd have been disappointed in that too, but none of the talent shows I ever saw were contests...In fact the audience was instructed to applaud every performer regardless of the opinion held of their act. I enjoyed all of the performances. Are you sure it wasn't another type of performance? I've heard of various ships having an American Idol type performance aside from the talent show but I never did see one of them myself. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject...

I have sang on 10 different ships at the Talent Show. None of these were any kind of "contest". They were handled one of 2 ways:

1. You show up at the designated time and place listed in the Capers. If more than 6 to 8 folks show up, everyone's name goes into a box and they draw for the participants. You rehearse immediately after the selection.

2. You go to the shore excursion desk where Carnival has left a sign up book. The first 6 - 8 that sign up are in. The book will tell when when and where rehearsal will be.

No comedians, no lipsync. If you play an instrument, you must bring your own (except the piano).

The last one I was in was on the Spirit this past July. It used method number 1.

Regardless of the method, I have always told those you are not selected to go to the rehearsal anyway and let the Social Host know you are available to take someone's place who changes their mind. It almost always happens.

Rehearsal is one time through, so you had better know your business.

You can use the orchestra, bring your own musical equipment or bring your own tape or cd ro accompany you. You can even use karaoke cds...just realize that the words will not show up anywhere. Their sound systems do have pitch (key) control.

I have been hearing about some "Idol" stuff on other ships...but have not experienced that yet. We are going on the Pride in March...we will see how they do it.

My daughter has participated in the talent show on Carnival on 2 different ships and they both used method #2 above - sign up in a book and it tells you what time to present for the rehearsal. She sang acapella, so no need for backup, but if you sing a song well-known by the band, it adds a lot to the program (or bringing your own as you planned).

Tell him to bring the guitar regardless - the group on our Pride cruise had a lot of fun one evening just sitting on the back of the ship listening to one of the boys play his guitar (he was very good). He wasn't even in the talent show, just said he never leaves home without it.

Good luck - hope they haven't gone the "idol" route that Princess is using now - hate that - no need to put people down, EVER!

I have also sung @ each of the Talent shows on my cruises. I agree about the signups most of the time. However, on the Spirit they chose the "acts" from those who sang karaoke. The CD came to observe throughout the week, then chose from those he thought were good enough. So it was kind of an audition.....

I would love to know if there is any kind of talent show on the Conquest and wether or not its a contest. And if its a contest anyone know what ya win?

I think all the ships have the guest talent show. On Conquest in September of last year everyone who participated got the "24 karat gold plastic" ship trophy and a bottle of champagne.

My D/H and myself was on the Spirit 2 week ago and they no longer have a talent show. They have whats called Carnival Legend Show. It is done the last night of the cruise. To be able to perform you must go to the Adult Karaoke and try out, This goes on all week long. The people that are in the lounge during that time get to vote for the people trying out. They choose people who sound like Areatha Franklin, Elton John, Britney Spears, Ect.

I spoke with the cruise director Michael Mullane about this and he said that

all Carnival ships execpt the 3 and 5 nights have gone to this. My DH always

does the talent show and so this new set-up was a surprise to us.

Number1cruiser

Yes. That's how it was for me on the Spirit. I believe Michael was the one that started doing it thisway. It is kinda nice. They take you backstage, and tell you when to go on, and make a "big deal" out of it. It seemed more like a regular show. Much smoother. I'm planning to do it again in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!!!!!! AAAAAughhhhhhh!!!

(Sorry. Freaked out a bit, realizing how close we're getting to sail date!):D

Thanks a lot for all the great feedback. We're going ot bring the guitar and cowbell + stand, rehearse the song at home, then check the Capers every morning for a sign of it. Also, we'll try to talk to the CD or social host so they can know who we are, and have a better chance at getting in.

but it will probably work out better so that there are no surprises. The old way, the Social Host had no idea what was coming until the rehearsal. Some really good people did not get in just because of the unluck of the draw...some really bad people did get in. It was always a crap shoot. You could literally see the relief on the Social Host face when they saw they had a good group...and the distress on their face when they saw they had some zingers.

Michael was not the CD on the Spirit in July when we went, he was on vacation...which is probably why they still did it the "old way".

I have no problem auditioning....and if there are folks better than me...good for them. I know Carnival wants to put on the best show possible. I'm all for that.

Patinthehat, I sure hope you get on. You sound like you have a lot of talent. When we were on the Paradise in 2004, the talent show was awful. There were a couple decent acts, but the rest were just thrown together. One was a REALLY bad rap that would never end. People in the audience were just looking at each other and rolling their eyes.

Good luck getting on! Let us know when you get back, ok? Oh, and we'll want pictures too! (-;

You could literally see the relief on the Social Host face when they saw they had a good group...and the distress on their face when they saw they had some zingers.

This made me LOL - in the group that my daughter participated with on the Pride, there was one young lady who had done very well in Karaoke (we heard her a couple of times), but she changed her song at the last minute and decided to sing acapella - a Celine Dion song - and it was really bad. The social host was wringing his hands, because he knew she could do so much better. No idea why she decided to change her mind. Then, when he announced our daughter would be singing acapella, you could feel the audience go "OH NO" - LOL!! Luckily, it worked out okay - she sang Journey - Open Arms - and brought down the house.

Where I'm going with this is that sometimes they have to be careful picking people from karaoke - it's a whole nother kettle of fish with a live band or NO music to back you up!! :)

and (the daughter) adds - also not fair to people who study either classical or Broadway music - sometimes karaoke isn't kind to a classically trained voice or there are not too many Broadway tunes to choose from - you may now return to your regular post...

LOL! There you go - one performers viewpoint - :) :)

Archived