Lights on Deck

oooohDonna

We found battery operated white party lights on Ebay and took them our last 2 cruises. They will be coming along with us for our next cruise in Sepember. They don't put out much light, but nice for "Atmosphere". Lot's of people in the cabins above (we always book aft cabins) thought they were pretty cool, and there were a lot of comments.

Can you bring party type lights to hang/string on your balcony?

Or what would you take for lighting on balcony for nighttime?

DO NOT bring anything that you plug in!!! Some battery powered stuff would be fun, on the Liberty we had a light on our balcony, but most of the time the bridge had them turned off, something about interfering with navigation lights.... c'mon the whole dang ship is lit like a xmas tree...

I personally found it most relaxing to not have any light out there at all, much better view of stars and ocean:)

on the Liberty we had a light on our balcony, but most of the time the bridge had them turned off, something about interfering with navigation lights.... c'mon the whole dang ship is lit like a xmas tree...

I personally found it most relaxing to not have any light out there at all, much better view of stars and ocean:)

I don't understand how this could be so for one line but not another?

Much better view and more privacy for those "intimate moments" ;) :D

I don't understand how this could be so for one line but not another?

Much better view and more privacy for those "intimate moments" ;) :D

I don't really understand this, either. It may just be the captain's opinion, but we all know that, aboard ship, the captain's opinion matters!

That said, the navigation lights on boats and ships are arranged so that someone seeing them from several miles away can get an idea how large the ship is and what direction it is heading. There is a white light on the short mast at the bow of the ship and more white lights on the mast above the bridge. By judging the angle between these lights, the viewer can tell if the ship is heading toward them, or at an angle that will not intersect their own course. There is a red light on the port side and a green light on the starboard side.

I imagine that, with the ship lit up like a Christmas tree, it may, indeed, interfere with someone viewing the ship from several miles away. However, in this day of radar, GPS and radio communications, that would seem to be less of a problem than in the past. I don't believe that these lighting standards have changed significantly in the last hundred years or so.

Paul Noble

Archived