Rain sleeve for Alaska?

I have a Nikon D60. Was planning on using my 70-300mm lens to shoot wildlife in Alaska. Is it recommended that I buy a rain sleeve to keep the camera dry if it's misty or light rain? If it's heavy rain, there probably won't be good photo ops anyway. If it's recommended, then what kind of rain sleeve should I get?

I have a Nikon D60. Was planning on using my 70-300mm lens to shoot wildlife in Alaska. Is it recommended that I buy a rain sleeve to keep the camera dry if it's misty or light rain? If it's heavy rain, there probably won't be good photo ops anyway. If it's recommended, then what kind of rain sleeve should I get?

If you want something that will work on any amount of rain from mist to downpour and is easy to carry, try the OpTech rainsleeve:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001132_18_RainSleeve_Set_of.html

They are reusable, compact and cheap enough that if you don't want to re-pack it, you can just toss it. I carry a couple in my bag all the time, "just in case".

If you are looking for something more permanent, Tenba and Kata make heavy-duty rainwear for cameras that start at about $40.

Temba: http://www.tenba.com/products/Tools-Accessories-RC-14-Rain-Cover.aspx

Kata: http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=229&Version=Photo

I have a Tenba RC-18 for when I know I'm going to get wet and find that it works very well.

Dave

If you want something that will work on any amount of rain from mist to downpour and is easy to carry, try the OpTech rainsleeve:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001132_18_RainSleeve_Set_of.html

They are reusable, compact and cheap enough that if you don't want to re-pack it, you can just toss it. I carry a couple in my bag all the time, "just in case".

Dave

To the OP - I used these in Antarctica after Dave recommended and liked them enough to purchase another pack for the Arctic. Note that while some local stoes like Ritz had them for $10.00 per pack it was easier and cheaper to bundle them with another order from B&H.

I had a similar question for an upcoming trip to Costa Rica. Pierces suggested the Storm Jacket so I bought the Optech SS-200, returned it, and bought a Storm Jacket Pro medium. The simple tube design is very flexible to use and lightweight and easy to pack.

I carry a packet in my bag and then in a pocket or backpack while out. I have used these for years and not just cold climates but in Hawaii in Hilo area where it always rains. What I like about them is they are small do not take up a lot of room and you can throw them away after using them on a trip. If you are hiking they are great for sudden storms.

The one problem is they are more designed for setting on a tripod and not 'carrying' with the neck strap or shoulder strap but it is easyly fixed if you have a neck strip that will detach and cut a small hole in the plastic to slide the strap through. Then use the old duct tape to cover the holes. (I know most do not travel with duct tape but I always carry a roll and you would not believe how many times I have thanked God I had it, Suit case handles breaking, Latch breaking, dress hem coming out, Ship things home, reapiring a rental car water hose, camera battery cover breaking, the list is endless). It is one thing we just keep in the suitcase.

...I know most do not travel with duct tape but I always carry a roll and you would not believe how many times I have thanked God I had it, Suit case handles breaking, Latch breaking, dress hem coming out, Ship things home, reapiring a rental car water hose, camera battery cover breaking, the list is endless). It is one thing we just keep in the suitcase.

I think I have actually used duct tape on ducting once in my life...the other 29,000,000 times was for items like the ones you listed!

For photo purposes I have switched to gaffer's tape. It has not yet become a commodity, so it's a bit more expensive than duct tape. For the difference in price, you get a quality cloth tape with an adhesive that is strong but easy to tear and does not leave a residue. It can also be removed and replaced many times unless it gets dusty or dirty. (I used a piece to latch a broken battery door on my last P&S for over a year!) I've kept a small roll in my get-up-and-go camera bag for years now and even keep some wrapped around the leg of my tripod and some more on the monopod. In a pinch, I've even taped my camera to a rail for an emergency tripod substitute (no sticky residue later either). Hemming pants and Wonderful Wife's dresses is a given.

Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353361-REG/Permacel_Shurtape__Pro_Gaffer_Tape_.html

Comes in silver too.

Dave

I think I have actually used duct tape on ducting once in my life...the other 29,000,000 times was for items like the ones you listed!

For photo purposes I have switched to gaffer's tape. It has not yet become a commodity, so it's a bit more expensive than duct tape. For the difference in price, you get a quality cloth tape with an adhesive that is strong but easy to tear and does not leave a residue. It can also be removed and replaced many times unless it gets dusty or dirty. (I used a piece to latch a broken battery door on my last P&S for over a year!) I've kept a small roll in my get-up-and-go camera bag for years now and even keep some wrapped around the leg of my tripod and some more on the monopod. In a pinch, I've even taped my camera to a rail for an emergency tripod substitute (no sticky residue later either). Hemming pants and Wonderful Wife's dresses is a given.

Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353361-REG/Permacel_Shurtape__Pro_Gaffer_Tape_.html

Comes in silver too.

Dave

Also try Gorilla Tape

http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx

It is wonderful. On my recent trip to Australia I used it for reattaching the skid plate on my suitcase and also for mending rips on my photo vest.

Both held perfectly. IMHO, it beats duct tape by a mlle.

DON

Archived