St. Petersburg - 2 day itinerary

The posts on this board have been of great help..... now to narrow down a recommended tour group and an itinerary. Not sailing until August, 2019 but would like to finalize now as much as possible.

This is a sample itinerary we looked at. Most tour companies have several to select from. Could you suggest what might not be necessary and what we should consider adding. Also, is it suggested we add any shopping time? Do you suggest adding any evening activities? My wife danced with American Ballet Theater and I am sure she would enjoy the ballet but not certain how feasible it is with all the other SP touring........Thanks for the help.

Day 1

8.30*»Meeting at the ship 8.30-10.00»Drive around the city – part I (most famous highlights) 10.00-10.30»Hydrofoil to Peterhof 10.30-12.30»Tour of the park and inside visit to one of the small palaces 13.00-14.00»Lunch at a nice local restaurant (Russian cuisine) 14.00-15.00»Drive to Pushkin 15.00-17.30»Catherine's Palace with the famous amber room 17.30-18.30»Drive back 18.30»End of the day program

Evening program (optional)

Day 2

8.00»Meeting at the ship 8.00-9.30»Drive around the city – part II (visit to an active church, Famers' market, short metro ride) 9.30-12.00»Hermitage Museum – early entrance 12.00-12.30»Walking tour of Nevsky prospect 12.30-13.30»Spilled Blood Cathedral 13.30-14.30»Lunch at a nice local restaurant (Russian cuisine) 15.00-16.00»Boat tour along rivers and canals 16.00-17.00»Drive back with a souvenir stop if possible 17.00»Back to the ship

The posts on this board have been of great help..... now to narrow down a recommended tour group and an itinerary. Not sailing until August, 2019 but would like to finalize now as much as possible.

This is a sample itinerary we looked at. Most tour companies have several to select from. Could you suggest what might not be necessary and what we should consider adding. Also, is it suggested we add any shopping time? Do you suggest adding any evening activities? My wife danced with American Ballet Theater and I am sure she would enjoy the ballet but not certain how feasible it is with all the other SP touring........Thanks for the help.

Day 1

8.30*»Meeting at the ship 8.30-10.00»Drive around the city – part I (most famous highlights) 10.00-10.30»Hydrofoil to Peterhof 10.30-12.30»Tour of the park and inside visit to one of the small palaces 13.00-14.00»Lunch at a nice local restaurant (Russian cuisine) 14.00-15.00»Drive to Pushkin 15.00-17.30»Catherine's Palace with the famous amber room 17.30-18.30»Drive back 18.30»End of the day program

Evening program (optional)

Day 2

8.00»Meeting at the ship 8.00-9.30»Drive around the city – part II (visit to an active church, Famers' market, short metro ride) 9.30-12.00»Hermitage Museum – early entrance 12.00-12.30»Walking tour of Nevsky prospect 12.30-13.30»Spilled Blood Cathedral 13.30-14.30»Lunch at a nice local restaurant (Russian cuisine) 15.00-16.00»Boat tour along rivers and canals 16.00-17.00»Drive back with a souvenir stop if possible 17.00»Back to the ship

The hydrofoil is not necessary - you really can not see anything out of the windows and your are on the boat with 50 others. It was simply a speedy means of getting you to Peterhof but now the new high speed road is actually faster. The canal cruise is something that I would not miss.

I see that you do not visit the Faberge Museum - I found this very worthwhile as well as Peter & Paul Fortress/Cathedral.

I don't know how much energy you have but the tours in St. Petersburg are long days. I would take this into consideration when contemplating any evening activities.

We had signed up with SPB and for the very reasons stated above we didn’t do the hydrofoil. We did have time to go down to the subway (most of them do this) and we did an evening river cruise to see all the gorgeous lighted bridges. I highly recommend it. If you can get free time on the Netzky Prospect. (Forgive my spelling) that is a cool place to people watch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with Dogs4 that the only significant omissions are Peter-and-Paul (fortress, inside which is the cathedral with tombs of the Czars) and Faberge. Faberge might be an evening option.

I rate all the inclusions worthwhile, and since Dogs4 has specifically mentioned the canal boat ride I'll second that.

But for us the hydrofoil trip made a change from the van, and it was fun - I stood in the open doorway with the wind (and the occasional spray) in my hair :cool:

2.5 hours in the Hermitage is about as generous as any standard tour offers, and the benefit of early admission is that you can just about keep ahead of the herd throughout.

2.5 hours isn't long enough for some (there's four separate buildings all with several floors), but too long for plebs like JB :D.

Each to their own.

To save a valuable hour and more, some tour operators offer a packed lunch to eat on-the-hoof instead of a restaurant lunch on one or both days. But the lunches are part of the Russian experience. Tough choice - but again, each to their own

"Shopping".

Nevsky Prospekt is the main shopping street. It's an opportunity to mix with the locals and to check out the mainstream shops. But not sure if it's worthwhile if it's scheduled for only half-an-hour.:(

With Alla, our first stop on Day 2 was an excellent souvenir shop, Alla's guide used it as her office for collecting tour payments while we browsed and shopped - an excellent set-up. Wide range of goods from tourist tat to quality stuff, all priced in euros, euros & plastic accepted (not sure about £ or $ cash). Clean restrooms & free coffee. Sensible prices - probably not as cheap as the street traders at places like Spilled Blood but you can examine a wide range of priced goods at sensible prices without being hassled, and that makes it sooo worthwhile.

(this was 3 years ago, things might have changed)

I'd be concerned about a souvenir shop being the last stop on the last day "if possible". If you pass on the limited opportunities during your two days and it turns out there's not time for that stop you'll leave St Petersburg empty-handed. If souvenirs are a must I think you need to clarify that stop / other opportunities before booking.

JB :)

I've been reading the different posts on the tour options for St Petersburg and they have been very helpful! One question I have: Our Viking ship will be docked for 3 days next spring. Viking includes a free excursion one of the days. Will Alla or TJs or any of the other highly rated companies allow us to book a 2 day tour? Their websites keep mentioning that the 2 day tours are for ships docked 2 days. We really don't want to book a 3 day tour and miss out on the free tour!

I've been reading the different posts on the tour options for St Petersburg and they have been very helpful! One question I have: Our Viking ship will be docked for 3 days next spring. Viking includes a free excursion one of the days. Will Alla or TJs or any of the other highly rated companies allow us to book a 2 day tour? Their websites keep mentioning that the 2 day tours are for ships docked 2 days. We really don't want to book a 3 day tour and miss out on the free tour!

I am not sure the answer but of the three I contacted TJ answered immediately and responded to my questions. They also offer discounts to CC members.

This is the comparison of the three different 2-day tours they offer. ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS

https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/2-day-st-petersburg-tour-options/

To save a valuable hour and more, some tour operators offer a packed lunch to eat on-the-hoof instead of a restaurant lunch on one or both days

Perhaps a nice compromise would be stolle? They're pretty fast, and have very tasty savory and sweet pies.

Will Alla or TJs or any of the other highly rated companies allow us to book a 2 day tour?

You should contact them about the two day tour, but if everyone says no then I'd consider contacting them for a private (just your family) tour for two days. Other people on this board have reported that they were able to book a private 1 day tour when they were docked for 2 days, so they could do exactly what they wanted and then have a second day to rest. If you can afford it, a private tour in St. Petersburg is wonderful, since you can completely control the itinerary, and stay as long as you want when you find things interesting and move quickly through things you aren't interested in (we were traveling with a 3.5 year old so this was invaluable, but honestly if you can afford it that's something to consider given how special St. Petersburg is).

We used TJ Tours in June and were pleased. The city has so much to see that it's impossible not to feel overwhelmed. We avoided additional evening programs, expecting to be exhausted (correct), but if I were a serious ballet dancer I would chug an energy drink and get to a performance!

We had plenty of time for souvenirs. Our payment stop may have been the one referred to for Alla--I didn't go in but heard it had plenty of interesting stuff. We also stopped at Red October--nice amber and variety of other goods.

As for the 3-day Viking visit, I can't imagine any company would object to having you for one of their 2-day tours. They just want to be sure you have 2 days available.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk