Balcony Cabin on the Oasis of the Seas

musicorn

We are thinking of cruising on the Oasis of the Seas in a Ocean View Balcony Cabin. My adult daughter uses a wheelchair. I am just wondering if anybody has experienced this and if any of the cabins are better than others?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

We are thinking of cruising on the Oasis of the Seas in a Ocean View Balcony Cabin. My adult daughter uses a wheelchair. I am just wondering if anybody has experienced this and if any of the cabins are better than others?

We have also been looking at the RCI ships and found this review of the Oasis from the viewpoint of a wheelchair user. Also interested in any first hand advice on selecting cabins.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93486

Colleen

A standard Balcony cabin will not accomodate the use of a wheelchair in the cabin. Nor will the doorway be wide enough for your daughter to get through the doorway. Also your duaghter will be unable to get out to the balcony because the threshold will not have a roll ramp. If your daughter is not ambulatory at all you really need to book a HC Balcony Cabin to accomodate your daughters needs.

Two of my friends who both use scooter shared a HC Balcony on the Allure. The same cruise I was in a Oceanview HC Cabin ( also am disabled and use a scooter) . Any of the HC Cabins will be meet your daughters needs.

We have also been looking at the RCI ships and found this review of the Oasis from the viewpoint of a wheelchair user. Also interested in any first hand advice on selecting cabins.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93486

Colleen

Don't fully agree with this review.

*For instance there were tables in the Windjammer clearly marked as HC. The Matre'D even had the abled bodied people seated at the time relocated so that my feiwsna and I could sit there with our scooters/chairs. We asked the people originally seated their to join us as the table was big enough but they chose to be relocated.

*I found the ships crew to be very help in offering assistance getting on and off the ship with our scooters.

*The only time we ever had an issue will people being oblivouis to us in our scooters/wheelchair was when waiting for the elevator at dinner time. We just adjusted our schedule to avoid the elevators at this busy time.

Edited by xxoocruiser

When I posted this I did mean a disabled balcony but thought seem as it was in the disabled cruiser section people would know that. Obviously I needed to put that detail in, sorry.

I have actually now booked cabin 11158 on the Oasis of the Seas and hope it is as good as the reviews I have read.

If anybody has the experience of cruising in this cabin I would love some details or photos.

Thanks

When I posted this I did mean a disabled balcony but thought seem as it was in the disabled cruiser section people would know that. Obviously I needed to put that detail in, sorry.

I have actually now booked cabin 11158 on the Oasis of the Seas and hope it is as good as the reviews I have read.

If anybody has the experience of cruising in this cabin I would love some details or photos.

Thanks

FYI- Generally if it's not actually specifed that an HC cabins is being considered or actually book the assumption is never made the poster is referencing a HC cabin just because this is the disabled forum. Many people aren't able to book an HC cabin because of being been sold out or they originally booked a non-HC cabin and something changes after the fact that they need an HC cabin and pose questions on this forum also.

Have not had experience with this specific cabin but as previously stated have been in a HC Balcony on the Allure. Though in general the Cabins on the Allure and Oasis are slightly smaller than on other RCCL ships you'll have more than enough room to accommodate a wheelchair and or mobility scooter. Have no pictures but the general features of t cabin 11158 are :

• Door width : 32" with no doorsill into the cabin
  • Bathroom Door width : 32 1/4" with ramped threshold
  • Toilet Height 17" with grab bar by the toilet on the left side next to the toilet
  • Roll in shower with grab bars and fold down shower seat . Has stand shower hand along with a hand held shower head
  • Lowered sink and stateroom vanity
  • Lowered closet rods
  • Accessible balconies with a ramped threshold. (selected staterooms)
  • Lowered safes for easy access
  • Door to cabin DOES NOT have an automatic door button. You'll still have to insert your sea pass and depress the door handle to open .

Hope this information helps . You'll be pleased with your choice.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've done HC Ocean View Balcony cabins on both Allure and Oasis (Boardwalk Deck, Port side, mid-ship). Both ships were great for accessibility and the cabins were lovely. Balconies are a little small (even with the accessible cabins) but there is no lip so you can easily get out to the balcony. Staff was very accommodating. Windjammer HC tables were always available when we needed them (one time a crew member moved an able-bodied couple who sat down even though there was a sign on the table). Some issues with the shows (just rude, able-bodied people sitting in the area reserved for wheelchairs/scooters). And of course there's the elevators. I got to the point where I would push people aside to get my sister and her scooter on an elevator.

All of the public restrooms on both ships have automatic doors (both outside doors and doors to the accessible stalls).

• 1 month later...

Great information! I also liked the review, and even though it is several years old, I found most of it to be true on my last few cruises. I am sailing on the Allure in November, and hope to see the service mentioned above! I never had that on the other ships. I have struggled with my chair in the buffets holding a plate and could not find a place to sit as the handicap spots were always full and usually with those not handicapped.

I also found people rushed the elevators ahead of me, blocking me out, but once I realized they were in a hurry and there was nothing I could do about it, I relaxed and kicked back until I could get on. Although, I have to add that I did at times bring my cane along to block the way into the elevator so I could get on, just to show them they couldn't push me around (even though I am in a chair!!)! lol

I do have to learn to ask for help, something I am not good at. It has been 2 years and I am working on it, but it does make some sense to ask for help if I want to sit at the handicap table rather than drop my plate because I can't hold it and push my chair looking for a seat. Expecting someone to assist at those times seems like it should happen, but it does not and we should not expect it!

On another note, I only asked for a handicap room once and will never again. I found the seat in the shower dangerous and since I can stand 3-5 minutes, I can do a quick shower.

I also can fit my scooter in a regular stateroom door - contact the cruise line directly and ask how wide your door frame is. If you are on Royal, there is a Special Needs form you can complete online on their website and they will contact you with the width of your room. You can also request any other items you may need at that time. The manual chair does not fit, but that collapses and I walk in and sit on the chair, so no big deal.

I did find that the further my room is away from the elevators, the harder time I had getting through in the morning and evening when stewards are cleaning staterooms, so definitely try to get close if you can. It was very difficult getting around the carts.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to posting my disability review after my cruise!

• 4 years later...
On 1/19/2012 at 12:08 AM, musicorn said:

Thanks

Did you get any pics