Bergen to Oslo possibilities?

We end our cruise in Bergen and have 7 days before our flight home from Oslo. We plan on spending 3 days in Bergen before slowly finding our way to Oslo. Has anyone suggestions of towns to stay in, sights to see, etc., on our way to Oslo? We are open to ferry and/or train transportation.

The only ferry option is to take the Fjordline ferry to Hirtshals in Denmark.

Then take a train to Hjørring where you change to a train to Frederikshavn.

Here you probably need to take a night in a hotel before taking the Stena Line ferry to Oslo.

Or at Hirtshals change to a Colorline ferry to Larvik in Norway where you can take a train to Oslo.

Here you don't need that extra night in a hotel.

Alternatively you just take the beautiful train ride from Bergen to Oslo but the other option look's more fun. :p

I will be happy to plan a ferry trip if you want to.

The Norway in a Nutshell trip uses the scenic Oslo-Bergen rail line with a detour by bus and ferry through Nærøyfjord and a trip on the Flåmsbana mountain rail route. It can be done in a single (long) day trip, but many people choose to stop of for a night en route in someplace like Flåm.

You can find lots of information on the norwaynutshell.com website.

It's possible to book all the parts of the same trip yourself (since it runs via public transit), but these days the cost savings of doing so are much less than they used to be.

The Norway in a Nutshell trip uses the scenic Oslo-Bergen rail line with a detour by bus and ferry through Nærøyfjord and a trip on the Flåmsbana mountain rail route. It can be done in a single (long) day trip, but many people choose to stop of for a night en route in someplace like Flåm.

You can find lots of information on the norwaynutshell.com website.

It's possible to book all the parts of the same trip yourself (since it runs via public transit), but these days the cost savings of doing so are much less than they used to be.

Do you have recommendations of places to stop/stay on the Bergen to Oslo trip? We have allowed 2 days (one overnight) for travel from Bergen to Oslo but that can be extended. We would like to see more of the country.

The only ferry option is to take the Fjordline ferry to Hirtshals in Denmark.

Then take a train to Hjørring where you change to a train to Frederikshavn.

Here you probably need to take a night in a hotel before taking the Stena Line ferry to Oslo.

Or at Hirtshals change to a Colorline ferry to Larvik in Norway where you can take a train to Oslo.

Here you don't need that extra night in a hotel.

Alternatively you just take the beautiful train ride from Bergen to Oslo but the other option look's more fun. :p

I will be happy to plan a ferry trip if you want to.

Wow! That sure would be different. It's not quite what I was thinking but will definitely run it by my travel mates.

Well I couldn´t resist so I tried to plan a trip.

At Hirtshals the overnight ferry from Bergen arrives at 12:30 but sadly the Larvik ferry departs at 12:15 so the 2 day trip from Bergen can´t be done.

So what you can do instead is the following.

I don´t know your dates so there can be differences compared to your travel dates.

In the evening you take the overnight ferry from Bergen at 20:00 that arrives at Hirtshals at 12:20 the next morning.

Here you have to take the dedicated shuttle bus (30 kroner each person) or a taxi to the train station, its 40 minutes on foot!!!!.

Here you take the 14:03 train to Hjørring that arrives at Hjørring at 14:26.

From here you take the 14:33 train towards Skagen and get of in Frederikshavn 33 minutes later.

If you think 7 minutes its to short of time to change train then you can take the 13:33 from Hirtshals instead and wait 37 minutes in Hjørring.

Some of the hotels in Frederikshavn are in walking distance of the ferry terminal.

Then on the 3rd day you take the 09:15 ferry to Oslo that arrives in Oslo at 18:30.

We end our cruise in Bergen and have 7 days before our flight home from Oslo. We plan on spending 3 days in Bergen before slowly finding our way to Oslo. Has anyone suggestions of towns to stay in, sights to see, etc., on our way to Oslo? We are open to ferry and/or train transportation.

I’d go for the Bergen -Oslo Rail journey stopping off to take the Flam Railway trip and taking an overnight there — the Freitholm Hotel is the recommendation from the Railway.

You need to try and allot at least two full days in Oslo itself and probably the same in Bergen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have a perfect setup to do the Norway in a Nutshell as others have suggested. Given your time frame I would overnight in Flam to make it more relaxing. You can do one of the organized tours or plan it OYO.. We did it ourselves and it was easy. Be sure to pre book the train from Myrdal to Oslo as that fills up as well as the Flamsbanna. The bus and ferry have loads of room.

• 5 weeks later...
Bergen to Oslo -- are there any other overnight recommendations other than/in addition to Flam? We have 3 days in Bergen and then 2 days before we need to be in Oslo where we have 2 nights booked.

If you go to the Norway in a nutshell web site and pick the option for one way Bergen to Oslo and then select the option with a stop you will get a list of places where a stop can happen and lodging recommendations for each. You can book room right there or use the list of cities to search on your own (like using AirBnB). If doing this you can click the box for 'book your own room', and you will still see the recommended itinerary with all arrival/departure times.

We looking at Bergen to Olso in July with the stop in FLAM - booking or own room - the cost w/out room is US $575 for 2. Departing Bergin 08:43, Arrive FLAM 13:30, next day depart FLAM 12:20 and eventually arrive Oslo 19:05

I agree with what other posters have said about Norway in a nutshell. The scenery is unbelievable. Check out Norway in a nutshell website to get some good itinerary ideas and then book things yourself. You will save money and the Norwegian train and ferry websites are very user friendly.

One good thing to know- if you don’t want to schlep your luggage with you there’s a service that will pick up your luggage in Bergen and deliver it to your hotel in Oslo check out http://www.porterservice.no we thought they were excellent and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums