Cyclone Damage in FP

laurelguy

Still trying to get info on extent of damage caused by cyclone last week. I'm sure some of you saw the videos on youtube or wherever. I called both the French Consulate in LA and the Tahiti Tourism Office. It sounds like some of the hotels had to close and relocate guests. I'm sure they're in clean-up mode. I know one PG cruise had to divert and the Motu Day was canceled because of damage to that gorgeous little island. If anyone has more info or has just returned, please share. :cool:

I just heard from Richard Bailey, President of Pacific Beachcomber and PG Cruises. We met him while we were on the January 6th sailing. This is what he said in response to my inquiry about the cyclone and its' damage relative to the motu. "Cleanup in Taha'a is under way, and while a lot of work remains to be done we hope to restore Motu Mahana to service by the next cruise."

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Feb. 9th sailing, which was directly effected by the cyclone. Tahaa was cancelled due to damage, and they are fixing it up. Ship should be resuming service there soon. All other ports were minimumly effected. We drove Bora Bora, Tahiti, and Moorea. All were fine. The reefs, at least in Moorea, were damaged, which is a shame.

Archived