Puerto Rico cruise want to visit rainforest

Jerryfriendly

I'll be on a cruise that does not have the Rainforest as an excursion. We will be in port from 1-8PM. Will I have enough time to go to the rainforest? Are there local excursions, or car rentals? What is the time frame for such a trip.

Thanks a lot

Jerry

We just got back from San Juan. No one is offering excursions to the rainforest as it is too badly damaged and, I believe, not accessible.

We did an old and new San Juan tour post-cruise (our rainforest excursion had been cancelled) and when they took us around the island we saw areas that had been damaged. Still lots of poles down, buildings with no electricity, trees on roofs, etc. The guide asked me if it was okay that he took us there, since the island doesn't look so pretty as it used to. He said they just started offering this tour. I thought it was good to have some idea of what the people are still dealing with.

Thanks so much for your message. It is a shame that so much more has to be done to get the island back. I am now thinking that hiring a guide, or even taking a cab, and have the driver take us around the island to see and experience what the Puerto

Ricans are still facing. A live and personal viewing could be quite an excursion in itself.

Thanks again

Jerry

I’m sure the rain forest is very green. The drive from San Juan to Ponce showed the vegetation was recovering very quickly. You can tell there was damage, but virtually all trees had a lot of leaves on them.

Lots of people still don’t have power, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I learned yesterday that the El Yunque National Forest might reopen on a limited basis "in a month or two". Early next week, the U.S. National Forest Service will conduct a "soft opening" or tour of the facilities to tourism industry stakeholders.

The rainforest will not be as lush as before the storm, obviously, but at least the public will be able to experience nature healing itself. The El Portal visitors center sustained serious damage, so that part might remain closed, as will some trails or parts of trails.

I'll try to report back as soon as I get more information.

I learned yesterday that the El Yunque National Forest might reopen on a limited basis "in a month or two". Early next week, the U.S. National Forest Service will conduct a "soft opening" or tour of the facilities to tourism industry stakeholders.

The rainforest will not be as lush as before the storm, obviously, but at least the public will be able to experience nature healing itself. The El Portal visitors center sustained serious damage, so that part might remain closed, as will some trails or parts of trails.

I'll try to report back as soon as I get more information.

Thank You for your updates.

Keep us posted.