Lord Stanley and Alaska

juliethecruiser

Anyone on recent Alaska cruises that have been able to watch any of the Stanley Cup finals? They've been on NBC and looking through past posts, NBC isn't a channel on satellite that Princess offers. I'm a big hockey fan and now that my boys (Bolts) are back in the heat, I would hate to miss some of the actual championship games. My cruise leaves out on June 2nd and I'm sure that week there will be games.

Just curious of recent experiences. It's not going to put a damper on my cruise, IF I cannot watch any of the games but if there is a chance, I'll be bringing my hockey jersey with me. I'm hoping I may catch one game, while we're in Juneau or Skagway, as we're in port until later in the evening and I'm sure I can find a sports bar close enough, right?

I can't answer your question, but I will say that we were cruising Alaska in early June 2011 and had a stop in Victoria. The Vancouver NHL team was in the semi-finals and had beaten the Boston Bruins. In the inner city harbor in Victoria, Lord Stanley's statue was wearing a Vancouver hockey jersey! :)

I know that you are probably not going to like this but since hockey is a 4th tier sport after football (i.e. soccer in the US), football, basketball and baseball, it is not likely that the cruise ship people will make any great effort to carry it.

DON

I know that you are probably not going to like this but since hockey is a 4th tier sport after football (i.e. soccer in the US), football, basketball and baseball, it is not likely that the cruise ship people will make any great effort to carry it.

DON

Was expecting it but was hoping maybe the FINALS would be showing. I'm going to start my sports bar search now for either Juneau or Skagway. I'll find somewhere to catch 1 game!

A passenger on the Sapphire just posted (live I believe from the ship) that once some complaints came in that they weren't broadcasting the Cup finals, Princess found a way to make it happen. Now I know that if you get enough people complaining about something, they find a way!!!

Whether my Lightning boys are in it or not, I'll round up some hockey fans and we'll head to the purser's desk.

DON

Maybe it depends on the network carrying the games. We had the hockey playoffs a couple of years ago in Alaska. Watched them on MUTS.

I can't answer your question, but I will say that we were cruising Alaska in early June 2011 and had a stop in Victoria. The Vancouver NHL team was in the semi-finals and had beaten the Boston Bruins. In the inner city harbor in Victoria, Lord Stanley's statue was wearing a Vancouver hockey jersey! :)

Unless something has changed, your Lord Stanley’s statue is actually Captain James Cook - but point taken about the hockey jersey... [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums