Crusing out of Galveston, TX

cruzgal11

I just booked 12-night Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy, December 17th leaving from Galveston TX. Can anyone provide some info about the cruise port and how far the airport is, suggestions for possible hotel and any other info would be great!

Thank you =)

Galveston is a great cruise port. Unlike some ports there is a great deal to do within walking distance of the actual ship. The Strand area of Galveston contains a large number of shops and a few bars/restaurants for those that would prefer to "people watch" while the others shop.

Other things to do while in Galveston include:

Moody Gardens

Turtle Farm

Flight Museum

Duck Boat Tours

Trolley Tours

Historical Tours of the various old homes, mansions, etc...

NASA

Kemah Boardwalk

The last 2 suggestions are by far the best, but you would need a rental car to get to them. They are actually located about 20 min+ from the terminal.

Moody Gardens has a wonderful holiday light festival each year. Not sure the exact date it will open for 2005, but that would be a recommended activity. In addition, they have an outdoor ice rink, an aquarium, etc.....

The Galveston beaches are ok. Many visitors indicate they've been disappointed after visiting for the first time. That time of year, though, you wouldn't be in the water, though, nor would you be sunbathing. Still neat to visit the Seawall area and meander down the sidewalks. Lots to see and do.

Two airport options, IAH or HOU. IAH is 1 hr+ and HOU is 30 min+ depending on day of the week and time of day. The only airlines I believe that fly in to HOU are Southwest, AirTran, and a few Delta and AA commuter flights. This may make your decision for you. We live in this area so do not know about the best modes of transportation to/from the airport to the terminal.

For hotels, you have the choice of staying on Seawall Blvd (right along the beach) or very near the cruise ship terminal (within walking distance) is a great bed and breakfast called the Stacia Leigh. The neatest b and b we've ever stayed at! It is actually a floating yacht once owned by Musselini (sp?). You'd actually be able to look out your bedroom window in the a.m. and watch your ship pulling in to port! Will cost you a bit more than a hotel, but would be a really neat way to start your vacation! If you stay here you can take the trolley to the Seawall area and see the beaches as well. Note: The b and b had been closed for reconstruction due to a flood. Not sure if they are open yet, but they may be by Dec.

Hope this helps with your planning. Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions.

Enjoy our great town!

I just booked 12-night Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy, December 17th leaving from Galveston TX. Can anyone provide some info about the cruise port and how far the airport is, suggestions for possible hotel and any other info would be great!

Thank you =)

Good of you to ask -- we're booked the cruise ahead of you on 5 December, and were wondering pretty much the same things. I don't think we have any carriers direct from Denver to Hobby, so it's IAH for us, too. We'll try to take good care of the boat for you.

Do you plan to fly in the day before, or head straight for the ship? I've gotten to where I like to poke around any place I haven't seen yet, and Galveston is one of them, so we'll be in a bit early to see what there is to see.

As I'm looking at a map of Galveston, where is "The Strand" located, and where is the cruise ship terminal (E or W of Pelican Island causeway, or ???)? Need a bit of orientation to figure out where best to park myself for these events.

The strand is at the northeastern part of a map of Galveston, right next to the harbor. The cruise terminal is near the intersection of 25th street and the water. Unfortunately, the Stacia-Leigh sank last summer and was salvaged after laying at the bottom for two months. So I doubt it is back in operation yet. If it were me, I'd stay at the Tremont (23rd and Mechanic) or the Galvez over on the beach and 23rd.

http://www.galvestonfunmap.com/map.html

The cruise terminal is on Harborside to the east of the Pelican Island Causeway. The Strand runs parallel to Harborside, just one street inland. It's all very compact--if you stay right there, you will walk everywhere. The Tremont & Harbor House are two choice spots, also some bed & breakfast lodgings in the adjacent historic district. If you stay on Seawall Blvd. (The San Luis, Galvez, Hilton, etc.) or elsewhere, you'll need a car.

Archived