Vaporetti in Venice

AtMaui

We will be on the Oosterdam next week beginning our cruise in Venice. We want to take a vaporetti (route #1) from the Piazza Roma thru the Grand Canal and end up in Piazza San Marco and walk back to the ship. I've read on the various boards to not take the vaporetti during rush hour. Our ship sails at 2P so we'll have to be back on board by, I'm assuming, no later than 1P. Will we be able to do this trip? What's a good time to start out that is not rush hour?

I have no idea why anyone would say not to use the Vaporettos during rush hours. Yes, they do get crowded, but so what! It just adds to the fun. They run a lot of #1 Vaporettos so you will never wait more than a few minutes for a boat. Do not concern yourselves with the time of the day,.,,just go whenever its convenient to you (the earlier the better to maximize your time in the streets). And we think you are right to want to walk all the way back to the port from St Marks Square. Walking in Venice is the only way to truly see the city and feel the wonderful atmosphere. You should extend your walking route so that you spend some time in the neighborhood around the Rialto Bridge (a real fun area). If you can give yourselves a couple of hours to walk back to the ship you will be fine and have some time to explore the many shops.

Hank

I agree with the above. We were on the Number 2 during a holiday weekend rush hour so it was really packed with our luggage and had no problems. If you can get to the seats in front those are great, if not, just edge yourself to the rail on either side. The ride doesn't really take that long.

It is a beautiful ride. From the Piazelle Roma you will take the #1 vaporetto and get off at either San Marco Vallaresso or the next stop San Zachary Danelli (I am sure my spellings are off a bit!). It is about a 40 minute ride - ticket will cost 6.5 euro - runs every 10 minutes beginning at one minute after the hour, 11 minutes after, etc. As stated if crowded watch for opportunities to move out to the front and be outside. You can do the Square from either stop, but don't go any further. It will be a good walk back but it is worth it, you will get a nice flavor of Venice with that ride and the walk back - don't forget your camera!!!

-mk

• 2 years later...
It is a beautiful ride. From the Piazelle Roma you will take the #1 vaporetto and get off at either San Marco Vallaresso or the next stop San Zachary Danelli (I am sure my spellings are off a bit!). It is about a 40 minute ride - ticket will cost 6.5 euro - runs every 10 minutes beginning at one minute after the hour, 11 minutes after, etc. As stated if crowded watch for opportunities to move out to the front and be outside. You can do the Square from either stop, but don't go any further. It will be a good walk back but it is worth it, you will get a nice flavor of Venice with that ride and the walk back - don't forget your camera!!!

-mk

Is this the boat that you can use as a shuttle back and forth from the Ship to San Marco?

Is this the boat that you can use as a shuttle back and forth from the Ship to San Marco?

Not exactly (nothing is that simple). None of the Vaporettos go to the port, but several different lines (including the very common #1) do go to both San Marco and Pizzale Roma (the vaporetto stop closest to the port). So yes, you can take the #1 between P. Roma and San Marco. But once you are at P. Roma you still have a long hike back to the port (we walk it in about 20 min) or you can use the new People Mover to get from the P. Roma to the port.

What confuses many folks is that there is another private boat line (called the Alilaguna) which also runs water buses (they look a lot like the vaporettos) on their own routes. One of those routes does run directly from the Port to San Marco. But the Alilaguna does not accept the vaporetto passes (or tickets) so you have to pay for that company separate from the vaporettos (although it is about the same price for a single ride).

Hank

We left Piazzale Roma about 8:20 am along with a lot of local workers, school kids, etc. Think cattle car. If you can stand for 40 minutes with no problems, you will be crushed in with the crowd. NO SEATS. Being crushed, pinched, pushed, shoved, stepped on, is not my idea of fun.

We got off at Rialto Bridge and walked around the shops there and down a couple of stops. Getting back on the vaporetto about 9:30 am. It was a lot less crowded and we were able to get seats.

Our favorite time on the vaporetto was about 10:30 pm there were maybe 10 people on the boat, you had your choice of seats, up front, anywhere you wanted.

It's up to you when you want to ride the vaporetto.

We very much enjoy doing that.

I would suggest that you take Vaporetto route #2 instead of route #1. Route 2 has fewer stops and may be less crowded. They route is identical and the start/end points are the same. We usually sit at the front or back, or stand and wait for a seat to free up.

My understanding is that the authorities may be adding a slight surcharge to Route 2 during the 'rush hour' periods but I an not certain if this would impact people who have day or multiple day passses.

Archived