handicapped room on Gem

maryirving

We were booked into a handicapped aft facing penthouse suite with balcony. We only found out it is a handicapped one day after making the reservation. Neither of us is in wheelchair, but my husband does have Parkinson's. Do these rooms have bathtubs and is there an advantage to a handicapped room. I was told they are larger. The ship is almost sold out, so we can't switch cabins. It appears we could be kicked out of the room if someone with a wheelchair needs it. I hope they give us comparable cabin or better if they do this.

We were booked into a handicapped aft facing penthouse suite with balcony. We only found out it is a handicapped one day after making the reservation. Neither of us is in wheelchair, but my husband does have Parkinson's. Do these rooms have bathtubs and is there an advantage to a handicapped room. I was told they are larger. The ship is almost sold out, so we can't switch cabins. It appears we could be kicked out of the room if someone with a wheelchair needs it. I hope they give us comparable cabin or better if they do this.
The room is bigger, but does not have a tub. The balcony (at least in the mini suite we saw) had a metal diamond plate floor. There were also push buttons on the wall to open the bathroom and cabin doors.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The Gem accessible aft-penthouse cabins do not have a diamond plate metal floor - they have a regular balcony floor. There is a lounge chair and 2 regular chairs. (assuming you are in 9172 or 9672?) They also do NOT have automatic cabin or bathroom doors. The only automated door is to the balcony (btw, 9672 has a chronic issue with the balcony door that I've encountered on several Gem cruises in 2017 - so make sure you leave it open a bit if you go outside so that you don't get stuck - take the cabin hand-held phone with you! :))

Also, although accessible rooms are generally larger, that is not the case with the Gem aft penthouse cabins. I would say they are the same size as the regular penthouses, but there is less furniture (no in-room dining table/chairs in the accessible penthouses.) I can try and find some photos if you'd like.

Edited by pcakes122

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed in an obstructed view GTY cabin that happened to be handicap accessible. I hated it! There are no barriers between the floor of the cabin & the floor of the bathroom nor are there barriers in the bathroom. When someone showers the water rolls around, and rolls under the bathroom door soaking the carpet in the room. It was disgusting. It never dries / there is always a musty odor from the continuously wet carpet. Thinking about the amount of mold which must accumulate made me sick to my stomach.

Yes photos please - we booked ( not knowing it was disabled as well - there are 3 of us - I’ve heard there is no sofa bed but said just no table/chair -

There actually is a sofa bed.

Also, these are NOT my photos - but I found a thread here on CC with lots of photos of 9672 where someone asked to have a table & chairs brought in and still had enough room - so that's an option!

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1959699