Freeport Dolphin Swim or Encounter??

Lani3

Looking to book dolphin excursion. Do I book the "encounter" one or the "swim" one for a few $$ more? Is there a big difference? Also, should I book directly through Carnival or book my own online & find transportation?:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

i did the dolphin SWIM at unexso in freeport. it was AWESOME. swim means you're in deep water with dolphins where you can actually swim. the encounter is in a shallow water area where you can pet/kiss, but not swim. if you are at all uncomfortable in the water or traveling with small children, i would recommend the encounter.

rate and time would be a factor in going thru the cruise line or not. there is something to be said for the safety of that guaranteed "get back on the boat" even if things run late on the excursion.

• 2 weeks later...
i did the dolphin SWIM at unexso in freeport. it was AWESOME. swim means you're in deep water with dolphins where you can actually swim. the encounter is in a shallow water area where you can pet/kiss, but not swim. if you are at all uncomfortable in the water or traveling with small children, i would recommend the encounter.

rate and time would be a factor in going thru the cruise line or not. there is something to be said for the safety of that guaranteed "get back on the boat" even if things run late on the excursion.

I totally agree with this!! I did the encounter with my daughter since she was too young for the swim, and we all loved it, but I personally would not have hestitated to spend a bit extra for such a wonderful experience. I also highly recommend UNEXSO for their excellent program and care for their dolphins, and since my personal preference is to only frequent sanctuary-type environments where the animals are the primary focus not the amount of money or visitors. I also agree to book through your ship - you don't want to worry about time constraints if there are any unexpected delays. Have a great time!

Looking to book dolphin excursion. Do I book the "encounter" one or the "swim" one for a few $$ more? Is there a big difference? Also, should I book directly through Carnival or book my own online & find transportation?:confused:

Although I don't agree there is any advantage to booking with your ship instead of privately (generally there are several disadvantages), in this particular case, you would need to book with your ship as UNEXSO is under contract with the cruise ship.

They have entered into an exclusive price-fixing agreement with Carnival to ensure that cruise passengers are forced to pay the much higher-than-normal prices that the ship charges. They will not allow you to book direct if they know you are on a cruise ship, and will direct you back to book with Carnival at the higher cruise ship price.

Although I don't agree there is any advantage to booking with your ship instead of privately (generally there are several disadvantages), in this particular case, you would need to book with your ship as UNEXSO is under contract with the cruise ship.

They have entered into an exclusive price-fixing agreement with Carnival to ensure that cruise passengers are forced to pay the much higher-than-normal prices that the ship charges. They will not allow you to book direct if they know you are on a cruise ship, and will direct you back to book with Carnival at the higher cruise ship price.

Good point, but actually besides being assured the cruise ship will not leaving without you if you encounter excursion delays, the biggest advantage is that if there is a change in port during the cruise and, for whatever reason, the ship doesn't visit that island or does so at a different time, the price is refundable. Not always possible when booking directly.

Archived