Celebrities on board QM2 (or other ships)

MIKEinVA

In 1999 during an August west-bound transAtlantic crossing Tom Clancy and his wife were our table mates at dinner. They were very nice; but I was a bit embarrassed as I had never read (and prob never will) a Tom Claney novel!

He was not lecturing; he & Mrs. Clancy were just passengers (and, how chi-chi, they had the Queen Elizabeth Suite on the Signal Deck!)

Michael

New York

Cunard provides celebrities as speakers on most crossing and has at least one author for book signing, ie. Carrie Fisher [Princess Leah, 'Postcards from the edge'] on the 6/25 crossing.

By celebrities, are you including this type of passenger or only those making the crossing on their own?

Are you including people such as W.E.B. Griffin, the action-adventure author only known to the readers of that genre, or only people known by almost everyone like Jane Seymour or retired General Westmorland or celebrities known to only a few like Lord Parker, Vicount Glengoyne?

It is all in your definition.

Of course, the one celebrity who I have seen on each cruise is my lady.

We were on the June 19th eastbound crossing. John Cleese was on the ship. He reminisced with the Cruise Director and took questions from the audience. The next day he showed his favorite episode from the BBC series, Fawlty Towers. It was quite enjoyable. Also, the British actor, Richard Johnson, who appeared in the original horror movie, The Haunting, was aboard and gave a talk and showed his movie.

On the July 1st cruise, Karen Allen (from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Animal House) was on board. At one of the showings of the movie (Raiders, that is), she talked a bit about the film and introduced it.

As far as what makes a person a celebrity, I suppose it's relative to your interests. William Miller was also on board and gave three lectures; to ocean liner buffs, HE is a celebrity ... to others, he's not.

Russ

Archived