Children on Royal Clipper?

letsgomets

Having sailed on the Star Flyer for our honeymoon, my wife and I have been waiting to return ever since. Our children are now getting to be the age where it might be a possibility (they'll be 6 and 8 later this year). Has anyone taken children of this age on the Royal Clipper? Would you recommend it? Two questions that leap to mind are whether any cabins can accommodate us and what food the kids might eat.

Thanks.

I think a lot depends on how independent your children are and how much time you plan to spend attending to them. I've been on two cruises on this line when one child was present, but never more than one. The parent and grandparent attended these children full-time, and they were delightful. There are no children's activities on these lines and they would be eating the same food as the adults. It's really not ideal for children, but if your children are extremely self-contained and you want to spend the entire time of the cruise with them, then it should be fine. A lot will depend on where you choose to cruise. Clearly a Caribbean cruise where they can swim and snorkel would probably be more interesting to children than a European one where they probably are too young to appreciate the port activities. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. On our voyage, most of the passengers were forties and up. Few couples were twenties / thirties. No children. Unless your kids are real sightseers, I don't know what they would do to entertain themselves.

• 1 month later...

I think it really depends on the way you travel with your children. We have always traveled with our two sons (now 15 and 17), but we tend to be pretty self-contained. We look forward to daily card games and drinks (non-alcoholic for the kids!), family dinners in a nice restaurant and shared sightseeing advenutres.

If you are looking for a place where the kids can have fun in their own clubs and mom and dad can have some alone time -- I would recommend Club Med (another favorite for us).

Having sailed on the Star Flyer for our honeymoon, my wife and I have been waiting to return ever since. Our children are now getting to be the age where it might be a possibility (they'll be 6 and 8 later this year). Has anyone taken children of this age on the Royal Clipper? Would you recommend it? Two questions that leap to mind are whether any cabins can accommodate us and what food the kids might eat.

Thanks.

Just got off the Royal Clipper. A few cabins are listed are having a third berth. The "Owner's Suite" is the only cabin that is listed as having "two double beds" I didn't see any price break for the 3rd or 4th passenger in a cabin.

We had a handful of teens but we also had a wedding aboard and they may have been with that party. The overwhelming majority of the passengers were in the 55+ range. I'm 56, Marilyn is 52 and I would say we were in the youngest 10-15% of the 185 passengers aboard.

There are no programs or activities for kids of any age. The food served is for adults and I didn't see anything that would appeal to most American kids (except the one lunch served on the beach that included burgers & hotdogs).

This was our first cruise with Star Clippers (we would do it again) and we thought the menu choices for all meals was targeted at the European passengers. Not a bad thing ... just different.

I'm not sure Royal would be a good fit for most families with children as young as yours.

• 1 month later...

I think you are the best person to answer this question. The fact that you asked it, means you are most likely a parent that would respect your fellow passanger's privacy and enjoyment.

I for one would rather be seated next to a well behave family with young children than a table of rude, sunburned drunks.

I think your kids would love to sail the Carribbean with their parents on a real tallship.

Archived