Cigars everywhere?

TheMacCrew

We are going to Cuba on an upcoming trip. My wife has allergies to cigarette and cigar smoke. I expect that there will be a fair amount of folks lighting up their new cigars (I plan to buy a few as gifts myself). Are there things we should definitely avoid? The description for the Tropicana show says they give all the guys cigars. Even though we'd like to see the show, I'm pretty sure that gets marked off our list of potential activities.

You’ll be fine at the Tropicana- outdoors and relatively few people smoke during the show. The cigars they give out are of a very low quality. The emphasis is really on drinking the bottles of rum they put down on each table.

As for smoke elsewhere it’s a crapshoot. Smoking is permitted everywhere and anywhere without any restrictions. Really what we found the worse was the pervasive exhaust that clouds the streets (both in Havana and outside) of thick diesel smoke. It’s so much worse than anything I’ve experienced in the states and when you’re on the road it’s this choice of suffocate from fumes with the windows open or sit in a sauna in an un air conditioned car with them closed.

Here is a hint when you book an excursion ask if the car has air conditioning .

Very few do- I think I saw one that had it and that was the personal car of a car restoration guy we were talking to. If you want air conditioning there are more modern coach busses. The other alternative are the slightly more expensive convertibles but you still have the smoke exhaust problem on the roads.