SCUBA in Majahual?

scubalisa

Has anyone been diving in Majahaul? We are booked on the Grand Princess in January and are interested in diving there is it is a good place to dive. How is the visibility? The ship's excursion is pricey (150.00pp- 2 tank dive). Does anyone know of a less expensive option? Thanks!

Several thoughts....

1) If you don't mind a pleasant 10 minute walk (literally) then skip the cab and just head to the left (south) at the end of the Costa Maya cruise ship pier. There's a path along the beach directly to Majahual and it's very close but by road one must gor around Robin Hood's barn to get there.

2) Maya Ha resort has some options for cruise ship divers and it includes a pass to use their pool and other facilities. I have no pesonal experience with their service. A friend dove with them when they first opened and loved it. Subsequent to that the owners ran it into the ground and it closed but is now refurbished and reopened under different ownership.

$150 per person? That's just ridiculous. Expect to pay $80 - $90 per person for a two tank dive in Majahual.

2) Maya Ha resort has some options for cruise ship divers and it includes a pass to use their pool and other facilities. I have no pesonal experience with their service. A friend dove with them when they first opened and loved it. Subsequent to that the owners ran it into the ground and it closed but is now refurbished and reopened under different ownership.
I haven't been there either, but according to a reliable source, Maya Ha is closed:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?1,50029,50058#msg-50058

Their website is no longer on the internet either.

I haven't been there either, but according to a reliable source, Maya Ha is closed:

Their website is no longer on the internet either.

Maya Ha became Maya Palms some time ago. I had heard they were having major issues under the new name as well, so don't know if they are operational or not. They do have a web site. Maybe someone else has some up=to-date info .....

http://www.mayapalms.com/

I would just like reiterate my recommendation for Dreamtime diving. You can see my full review in the link above. They are easy to get to, very nice people, and have excellent equipment. The diving was good to very good and it's' very close to the dive shop so there are no long boat trips. Prices were reasonable too.

Maya Ha became Maya Palms some time ago. I had heard they were having major issues under the new name as well, so don't know if they are operational or not. They do have a web site. Maybe someone else has some up=to-date info .....
Thanks, I appreciate the correction.

I already lost a $100 advance deposit when Maya Ha went under the first time. No way I'll chance that again. It's a shame - my friend who went when they were first open raved about the whole expereince including the food and lodging and she's picky. It's amazing how quickly a place can downhill when it's not run the right way.

But I am determined to dive Chinchorro Banks within the next two years - I'll check out some of the other recommendations here. Thanks!

Since Cozumel is damaged, I started to look at dive ops in Costa Maya which is 'rumored' to be the most likely port substitution for my cruise which leaves in 18 days. Anyhow, I spoke to the US rep for Dreamtime diving and was told that a 2 tank dive is $75 or $92 if you use thier eq. They also have a beach and a cafe there for family members who don't dive.

Well, I tried to book with Dreamtime and I'm out of luck since I'm on a Princess ship. They obviously do their dive shore excursions. Anyone got another alternative. In order to dive with them I will have to pay the $150 ship price.

How is the Myan Palms? Do you think they will be in business in December?

Well, I tried to book with Dreamtime and I'm out of luck since I'm on a Princess ship. They obviously do their dive shore excursions. Anyone got another alternative. In order to dive with them I will have to pay the $150 ship price.

How is the Myan Palms? Do you think they will be in business in December?

$150 for Costa Maya? That's crazy. I was willing to pay that much in Belize, but at least they took us out to the atolls. And they're using Dreamtime? Has Tanya gone to a bigger boat? Or more boats? When I dove with her a while back she just had the one little 6-pack boat that wasn't even rigged for diving - they just threw the tanks in the bottom of the boat. Maybe with the cruiseline contract, she's been able to upgrade .......

$150 for Costa Maya? That's crazy. I was willing to pay that much in Belize, but at least they took us out to the atolls. And they're using Dreamtime? Has Tanya gone to a bigger boat? Or more boats? When I dove with her a while back she just had the one little 6-pack boat that wasn't even rigged for diving - they just threw the tanks in the bottom of the boat. Maybe with the cruiseline contract, she's been able to upgrade .......
I doubt that she is getting any more money for a 2 tank dive from Princess than she would get on her own.

That guy at Dreamtime is an idiot. I'm on the Westerdam at the end of the month and rerouted to Costa Maya. HAL doesn't even offer Scuba diving in Costa Maya, but I got the same answer from them. Book through the shore excursions on the ship. When I pointed out the fact that HAL doesn't offer scuba there...I received another e mail saying..."well maybe HAL hasn't finalised their shore excursions...so E Mail from the ship if you have a problem"

I hate Costa Maya...been there 4 times...what a waste of time. Too bad the hurricane didn't blow them off the map. Overpriced and boring

That guy at Dreamtime is an idiot. I'm on the Westerdam at the end of the month and rerouted to Costa Maya. HAL doesn't even offer Scuba diving in Costa Maya, but I got the same answer from them. Book through the shore excursions on the ship. When I pointed out the fact that HAL doesn't offer scuba there...I received another e mail saying..."well maybe HAL hasn't finalised their shore excursions...so E Mail from the ship if you have a problem"

I hate Costa Maya...been there 4 times...what a waste of time. Too bad the hurricane didn't blow them off the map. Overpriced and boring

I can understand your problem if you would say that you been there once but 4 times and still booking thru the ship shore excursion desk ???? and I hope you not also dealing with the people by the taxi stand they all a bunch of hustlers trying to make money of the tourist as that is what will feed their famlies, but after 2 times you should had figured them out.

I been there once and I walked into town and I was also lucky as I was walking along the beach looking for a dive shop I ran into this guy that said he could take me diving for $55.00 since I had all my gear with me, and I said ok and as we talked I found out he was the instructor of my certification instructor in Cancun, his name is Arturo Garcia Barbabosa here is how you can contact him: on the beach look for a sing that says:

BUCANEROS DEL CARIBE

01 983 838 0148 and his e mail is bucanero_caribe@yahoo.com.mx

make sure is writen like this >>> bucanero_caribe

you can tell him I recomended you all here, he is local his house is right in front of one of the best dive sites there, he also does a trip to Chinchorro reef if you call him ahead of time to prepare,and you as the diver must get to town to meet him as soon as possible so you can get back on time for a nice massage also then only $15.00 dollars for a full hour. and great mexican food.

I was there a year ago , August of 2004 and I did not see all the high prices as I hear but it does not surprise me the place has boom very fast, back in the year 2000 you could buy a mansion for 250,000 dollars, now it gets you a 2 bedroom one floor apartment, and I also use to pay in Cozumel in 2004 $ 45.00 but not any more I could say is about $65.00 at least that is what I paid this August 2005 at The REEF CLUB don't say you are on a ship just walk in, they have lots of boats just be there before 9:00 AM they are SAND DOLLAR, take a taxi about $15 dollars. or go into town $6.00 dollars to Staff Divers, from the ferry pier walk up 2 blocks to the church and turn right half a block on the left, ask for George also tell him I send you.

if you need more info on western and southern caribbean diving just e mail me

@ cancunspy@MSN.Com

I think I can get you there a lot faster if I tell you that the dive Beach shop is about 25 yards South from the beach front TAXI STAND, just tell the taxi driver, that is where you want to go, once there , across the street they have a restaurant and a restroom where you can change if need too, they also sale bottle water.

Good luck, and I will send the coments here to my friend Arturo Garcia Barbabosa,to comfirm on the outragious prices I hear that are being charge.

I'm so glad that I can Help.

But yes as we are the tourist, strangers, some people in the Islands think that because we are from other lands that we have tons of money and don't know what we want, and they tell us what is good for us and actually is what is good for them, as far as money and time, and they say, who cares about them, meaning us, like in Grand Cayman I will never dive again with RED SAIL they cut your time, or start your bottom dive time from the moment you touch the water not actual bottom time so at 24 minutes on a 80ft dive they tell you to go up, so they can get other divers,their aim is to make as many trips to the reef as possible and then they want to blame the cruise ship that they want us back soon, that is the biggest LIE I ever heard.

I recommend in Grand Cayman FOSTERS DIVE SHOP right in town, as you get in town just ask where they are since they had to move do to a Hurricane.

But anyway in some Island we do have to go with the ship excursions, like in St Lucia they are the most popular dive site, but I can tell you is so good that I have not bother looking for another shop and I think you get what is worth for the money, $110.00 for 2 dives , lunch, and a boat ride to the resort that shows you a good 50 minutes of ocean front scenery that you just can forget, and under the water is 3 times better.

Now In Belize I would not book on the ship either they tend to cancel their trips so best is to get off as soon as possible with all your gear and book a dive at the pier, I found a low flying aircraft trip to San Pedro and dive for $120.00 and You could find it lower if you search just for the flight and then once in San Pedro you can book the dive, or tell a lie say you done it for $95.00 maybe they may lower the price, can hurt trying.

Well and last for now , if ever in Curacao you don't want to miss the aquarium dive as is the most colorfull dive I ever done and cristal clear water, isa bit rough but not impossible they have great boat and great fruit cocktails and sea food to munch between dives, and very good wash down tanks. don't miss this dive, is also around $ 90.00 dollars. remember is not only the services but the cost of Gas that is making the price go up.

Wish you all the best.

Cancunspy >>>>> Juan...

Archived