How long does it take to clear customs when disembarking in Cuba?

gatorsara

I'm trying to book a private tour, and the response I got from the tour company says: "We have had reports that it can take a number of hours to clear customs on arrival in Cuba and disembark the ship. You should take this into consideration when booking a tour with us."

I arrive in Havana via Royal Caribbean at 8am. Tour starts at 9am. Is this feasible? Does it really take hours to get off the ship?

It might be pushing it a bit, depends on how many get off the ship. Remember they still have to go through immigration and get their passport stamped, then through security, then obtain CUC's. I think 9:30 would be a better time without worrying.

We were there 2 days and I only exchanged money on the first day but we were through every time very quickly. In Havana they have multiple custom agents, then I think two x-ray belt lines and metal dectors. Then you can go to money exchange with I think at least 8 booths.

If you are familiar with traveling and pack ready for security scans and keep documents ready it’s fast. We took tours and ended last in line from the boat but made to the buses first every time.

We just returned from the NCL Sun and did not get off until 9:00 am, after all the initial crowds getting off, and were done with security screening, immigration, and money exchange within 20 minutes.

I'm trying to book a private tour, and the response I got from the tour company says: "We have had reports that it can take a number of hours to clear customs on arrival in Cuba and disembark the ship. You should take this into consideration when booking a tour with us."

I arrive in Havana via Royal Caribbean at 8am. Tour starts at 9am. Is this feasible? Does it really take hours to get off the ship?

We were on the Sun last week. Didn’t book any excursions through the ship and were on the streets of Havana by 8:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on a RCCL cruise in Havana last week. I think we arrived in Havana between 7 and 8. Our RCCL tour said to meet at 8:15 but it was 9:00 before we were cleared and allowed off. Then it was about 30 minutes to get through customs and more to exchange money. I think we made it to our bus around 9:45-10:00 and this was after meeting at 8:15. So, it took a while. I was also told they were letting RCCL tours off first. Non-RCCL tours would have to wait until we were off. So to me, 9:00 am would be pushing it.

• 3 months later...
We just returned from the NCL Sun and did not get off until 9:00 am, after all the initial crowds getting off, and were done with security screening, immigration, and money exchange within 20 minutes.

We are booked on the Sun in September. The arrival time in Havana, according to the itinerary, is 10:00am. We are trying to book a private tour and need to know what time to book it for based on actual arrival time. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you in advance.

We ended up docking an hour late and took us over an hour to get through customs first time (after that it's pretty much right on and off). Were supposed to meet our guide at 10, but got to the square at 11. She took us to a place to exchange money. We found out before we hit Key West that we would be docking an hour late so we reached out to her to let her know. She saw it and responded, but it is not usually that easy to make sure they receive messages. If you just find you're standing in line and are going to be late, you won't be able to send a message letting them know! Better to make it a little later or book with a guide like mine who understands the challenges and delays of the ships and customs.

We cruised on Royal Caribbean. Our ship arrived around 4pm. We were told to go to the main theater from where they’d let us off the ship in small groups to avoid overcrowding inside the terminal’s customs area. Things moved slowly and it took us about 60-90 minutes from the moment we walked into the theater until we were standing outside the cruise terminal.

Keep in mind that in addition to clearing customs, you also stand at a different line to exchange money to Cuban Convertible Pesos. Remember that most establishments don’t accept US dollars and none accept US credit cards.

The good news is that once you clear customs the first time and you get your passport stamped, the next time you get off the ship all you need to do is show the stamp and you walk right through. We had a tour the following morning and we walked off the ship 30 minutes before the tour start time and we had plenty of time to walk to the meeting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums