Santorini or Naxos?

Mrs. Mac

Our Greek Isles cruise ends in Piraeus in September. We are thinking about taking a ferry to either Santorini or Naxos and spending a few days. Any thoughts on one island over the other? This will be our first trip to Greece so it's all Greek to me!!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kim

• 4 years later...

Santorini is certainly an interesting island. But I would check first the number of ships, respectively the number of passengers they carry, on the days you will be there. It can get very crowded during the high season. The day we will arrive (Sept. 19) there will be 3 ships in the morning with 5000 pax and two more in the afternoon with about the same number and the ferries bring many more). Of course this matters only if you wish to go sightseeing. If you stay in a resort, this might not affect you.

I wish you a very nice cruise.

Having just spent 4 nights on each of these Islands I would answer "it depends on what you like and you budget"

Santorini is postcard perfect in it's wonderful views and stunning construction along the edge of the caldera. Sunsets are also a daily highlight.

BUT it can be very hectic once the cruise ships dock and is reasonably expensive for a hotel with a great view and to eat in a restaurant.

Naxos is far more relaxed, has some very nice beaches within an easy walk of Naxos Town or a short bus ride. Hotels and Tavernas are far less expensive and line the harbour front, the old town and the nearby beaches and the vibe in the evening is far more down to earth and lively.

There are some fantastic villages in the interior of the Island which allow for more interesting adventures than those available on the smaller Island of Santorini. We personally enjoyed our stay in Naxos more than Santorini.

I am 63 and my advice is if you want to laze around in a nice (expensive) hotel, possibly with your own terrace and plunge pool, escaping the crowds when the ships are in and dine of an evening in a fine (expensive) restaurant with stunning views and do not much else Santorini is one of the best places in the world to do so.

If you want to stay in a fantastic family owned hotel for possibly a 3rd of the price with one of the best home cooked breakfasts I have eaten, meet locals, have a few beers/wine cocktails of an evening while eating fresh local seafood from the local fishing boats anchored across the road, hit some great beaches and visit the wonderful mountain villages for some walking/hiking eating then Naxos is the place.

Edited by woodyren

Absolutely agree with woodyren.

We had the choice and picked Naxos. We had been to Santorini years ago. Then had the misfortune to stop on a cruise along with many other ships. It was awful. Far too crowded.