Booking a cabin before finding a cabin roommate?

Sea Our world

There are significant savings on future cruises when booking early. But I'm still waiting to find out if someone can join in the distant future. I would still take the trip as a single cruiser even though I would have to pay for double occupancy. Or post a forum ad for a roommate. In that case, I'll just wait on pre-paying gratuities until the actual cruise. Booking a room for one passenger only is about a hundred dollars less than booking a room for two due to taxes and fees on the second person.

If I only book a room for one passenger, then am I able to later add a second person to my cabin? I can understand paying the hundred dollars in taxes and fees. But will the cruise line then jack-up the cabin price to the current prices because I'm making changes?

How do most single cruisers book their online reservations before finding a cabin roommate?

I added a new passenger about a week before my RCCL cruise last August 21, 2017 or so which is about the week kids head back to school in Texas. . But good point if its during the heavy summer period or a holiday cruise they might not let you due to muster capacity. I just booked another cruise for the same week of August this year and then next day I received a RCCL notice to contact them if I wanted to add another later. I believe RCCL will generally let you add a passenger up to about 5 days before the sailing date