Beach suggestion in Nassau

jean6183

I'm taking my kids on a short cruise. We are stopping in Nassau on 2/15. I'm looking for a safe beach. My kids are 17 and 14 and this is the first trip I'm making solo because my husband passed away unexpectedly. I have read so much on crime in Nassau, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You .

We went to Nassau last July for the first time.

We went to Cabbage Beach. Although it was beautiful the water was rough and it was kind of a steep step down to get in and out of the water. It was hard to get in and out and the vendors were EVERYWHERE pestering.

By the time we rented chairs and an umbrella we would have been better off getting a day pass at one of the hotels to use their beach (with chairs and such included)

You can look on Trip Advisor about "Junkanoo Beach", there are mixed reviews. It is within walking distance of the cruise port and is public (free).

Jean - First off, I am very sorry for the loss for you and your kids. That must be terrible, and I offer you my condolescences very much.

2nd - welcome to cruise critic. You can find out loads of info on this board. As mentioned above, the waters can be rough. I do not know much about bahamas, and mostly just wanted to welcome you and hope you find the beach right for you and your kids. Have read about cable beach also. You might want to go to the right of the screen under search, and type in beach or something like that and see what you can find out.

Thank you very much. I have searched more and seems that junkaroo beach seems to be nice, although mixed reviews. But, I like that it's close to the ships and we can walk. So, I think we will go for that and will give a review once we get back. Thanks again to all that have replied.

We purchased a pass to the British Colonial Hilton thought Island Marketing. My daughters are 9 and 14. Take a look at some photos online. The beach is calm and they have a pool. The downside is that the view is not the best. You have a nice view of the cruise ships. :rolleyes: It's still beautiful!

We have been to Junkanoo beach a couple of times. We have never been to any of the others there. It is a safe and easy walk maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the pier. More than half of it is on the main road past the Straw Market and Senor Frogs Alot of crew from the ships go here also.You can see it by going to Google Earth. Search Junkanoo beach and it will go right to it. There are vendors there to get drinks and food. Good view of the ships in port also.

Edited by bm6pm5

I went to Junkanoo beach in september and had a great time. I am a single mom and was traveling alone with a toddler and never felt insecure or unsafe. In fact my daughter had a good time playing in the sand with some local children. The beach itself was very clean, the bathroom had an attendant who kept things tidy, and the water was beautiful. I highly recommend it.

We just went to the Wyndham resort - was $20 pp for day passes and you got access to the resort next door as well. We passed Junkanoo on our way and I wasn't too impressed seemed really crowded and busy and no places to lay or sit but this was just passing by on the bus. We felt very safe at the Wyndham there were always security walking around and it wasn't busy - pool/water slide was nice also had a hot tub and the beach was very nice as well. Lots of things to do - non motorized water sports as well. Was a fun day and well worth it for how cheap it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just went to the Wyndham resort - was $20 pp for day passes and you got access to the resort next door as well. We passed Junkanoo on our way and I wasn't too impressed seemed really crowded and busy and no places to lay or sit but this was just passing by on the bus. We felt very safe at the Wyndham there were always security walking around and it wasn't busy - pool/water slide was nice also had a hot tub and the beach was very nice as well. Lots of things to do - non motorized water sports as well. Was a fun day and well worth it for how cheap it was.

jwlnroe,

Where did you purchase your day pass for the Wyndham resort? We are going on the Splendor in March and were looking at getting a day pass for a beach resort. This seems like a really great price as all the other resorts that I have been looking at are charging over $60 pp.

Mione

jwlnroe,

Where did you purchase your day pass for the Wyndham resort? We are going on the Splendor in March and were looking at getting a day pass for a beach resort. This seems like a really great price as all the other resorts that I have been looking at are charging over $60 pp.

Mione

We got them at the front desk at the resort - if you need towels it's another $10 pp but u get that $$ back when u return the towels or you can bring the towels from the ship too. Way worth it we had so much fun!!

What bus did you take to the Wyndham? Would it be a long walk? Will be there next week

The #10 or #12a will get you there.. just tell the driver where to drop you off.

Wyndham is approx 5 miles from port, and around a construction site. (not a pretty walk). The hotel is about 1/2 block from the drop off point, due to construction.

Thanks, looks like that's where we'll be heading.

Have fun!! We took the #10 bus there and the 12b back because they just randomly stopped in the road and asked us if we needed a ride back to town before we even got to the bus stop lol.. word to the wise they don't leave downtown to head to the resort until the bus is full so you might have to sit there just for a bit while they fill it up.

My daughter really wants to go on the atlantis tour. So, I think I'm going to do it. Looks like a lot of fun with slides etc.

Atlantis is so worth it!! We did that back in 08 and loved it!! Have fun!!

My daughter really wants to go on the atlantis tour. So, I think I'm going to do it. Looks like a lot of fun with slides etc.

We just got back from a port of call in Nassau at the end of January, 2014. The day we were there it was windy, some showers, overcast, ocean shorewater was cool, cloudy, and rough so we didn't get our 1 hour beach stop as promised on our ship's island excursion. There is nothing exceptional about Junkaroo beach...probably just like any other Caribbean island beach on your cruise from what I saw passing by it. Atlantis waterpark might be the place to go if you can afford it just because you won't have this experience on any other island.

I'm taking my kids on a short cruise. We are stopping in Nassau on 2/15. I'm looking for a safe beach. My kids are 17 and 14 and this is the first trip I'm making solo because my husband passed away unexpectedly. I have read so much on crime in Nassau, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You .

First I would like to offer my condolences to you and your family on your loss.

Second welcome to CC you will find a wealth of information here.

Third find your roll call and sign up, you will meet lots of nice people and the officers on the ship so that you have contact names if there is a problem.

Next I would like to tell you about the Blue Lagoon. Went there over Christmas week while cruising with my son and his family. Everyone loved it. It was worth the cost and on NCL it was the same cost on the ship as booking online. My Grandbabies are 8 and 5. That can be a full day with no time for shopping in town. There is also floating bounce houses and land bounce houses for an extra fee. Dolphin encounters also.

Junkaroo Beach is also very nice. Spent Christmas afternoon there. About a 20 minute walk, can rent beach chairs but don't need them. You walk by a Macdonalds but be aware they are very expensive.

You did not say if your children were male or female. You may also want to attend the port talk on the ship and and learn where the freebies are in town. EFFY usually has a free necklace and you can buy the earrings for $10 and there are two EFFY stores. Great for the kids or for them to bring back to friends. There is the store that has clothes made from bamboo and the give free bamboo necklaces (Caribola - sp) and in the back you have the items that change color in the sun (clothes, nail polish, hair accessories, etc).

Nassau is like any other tourist trap....be aware of your surroundings, don;t flash money or credit cards, stay out of dark alley ;) and you will be fine.

have a great healing trip.