MSC Coming to America!!

eroller

Seatrade Insider reports that ex-Celebrity Cruises exec Rick Sasso will head MSC's N.American division. MSC expects to become a "major player" in the N. American market according to Sasso, including a year round ship in the future. More developments to be announced. MSC will keep it's NJ reservations center but also open an office in South Florida.

I think this is great news and I say "BRING IT ON"! Any competition for goliath Carnival and Royal Caribbean is a great thing. It will be nice to have a Caribbean cruise option with an Italian flair and something besides the old standards.

I wish MSC all the success in the world. I just hope they don't grow too big too quickly. It will take some time for N. Americans to become familiar with the MSC name.

Ernie

Interesting, but I think MSC needs to do a lot of work to improve its reputation.

I have talked to several who sailed it, and were disappointed. Perhaps the changes in top management, and the addition of new tonnage signals a change in course for the company.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm always looking for something different, but unless MSC improves their reputation and lowers their prices I would expect their ships to be filled with charter plane-loads of europeans on package deals.

Frankly, if I want an italian cruise experience Costa is there all winter. And what makes a cruise "Italian" anyways? Annoucements in 5 languages? Entertainment without words? Northern Italian food in the dining room? Room Stewards wearing designer clothes? Smoking in every conceivable part of the ship?

I like the idea of a smaller ship, and maybe more off the beat track itineraires (I've lost track of how many times I've been to st thomas and Cozumel) and more interesting food. But MSC has some major PR work ahead of them if they want to take on the big guys.

Rob

Regal Empress 7/97, Nordic Empress 10/97, Sensation 11/98, Paradise 11/99, Ecstasy 11/00, Norway 5/01, Triumph 11/01, Explorer of the Seas 9/02, Paradise 5/03, Victory 4/04

Archived