Greenock / Glasgow & Castles

smm0218

If you have been to Stirling Castle and Calzean Castle which would you recommend visiting? From what I have read they are very different. I can only visit one in the time we have. 7am to 6pm so really 8-8:30 to about 4:30.

And if you have a tour suggestion that would really be great.

I found Stirling Castle an excellent place to visit, it's a true castle built in the Middle Ages as a fortress that later became a Royal Palace. The palace rooms are a fascinating place to visit and with a real sense of history. The regimental museum of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders is also in its walls.

Culzean castle is not a real castle, I have never been there but it's an 18th century great house built with some exterior styling of a castle. It will have all the trapping associated with such a building.

It depends on what intrests you and your party.

• 2 months later...

Stirling Castle is the most castle-like non ruined castle in Scotland imo. Culzean is really a grand house, very interesting for its elegance and historical associations. I personally recommend Stirling to all our visitors, it’s nicely restored with interesting displays and sometimes re-enactments and helpful staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums