Amsterdam to Budapest and Constanta

Steamboatin

We are seeking advice on the river cruise (in either direction) between Amsterdam to Budapest and Constanta.

We are seriously thinking of taking this 25 (plus or minus a day or so) river cruise that several of the river cruise lines and travel groups have in their brochures.

We have prior river cruising experience and like the slow pace of a river cruise. Plus it is an excellent way to see the interior of a country with only having to unpack once.

We are requesting information along with any and all recommendations, coments and ideas.

What is the best time of the year to take this cruise?

Appreciate comments from anyone who has taken or considered taking this extended river cruise.

Hi Steamboatin,

I´d say anytime between May and September is great for river cruising in Europe. If you want to avoid the main school holiday season then skip July and August. Weather can be a bit unpredictable in May. You can have mid 80ies and sun, but it can also be mid 50ies and rain all the time. I think the best time is mid/end of May til end of June and early September.

If you need any further informations about the shore stops in Germany (especially from the steamboating point of view) you know how to contact me :) .

steamboats

We are trying to plan our 2007 vacations and cruises now.

Appreciate your fast reply. Going from memory from watching the news on television it seems that in August there is a problem with heavy rains and river floods the last few years. Is this accurate or am I wrong?

By the way, have been doing some research on the web and still cannot find information on Mississippi River railroad side wheel paddle ferryboats like my Father, Grandfather, Uncles and Cousins worked on. Also just for the fun of it I researched paddlewheel fireboats. Fireboats came into usage later so there seems to have been none.

Good to hear from you.

If I come up with any thing good I certainly will pass it on to you all.

We will be on a cruise to the Baltic countries in a few months. We will make a port visit at Wamemunde, Germany on May 30 where we plan to take the train into Berlin. This will be our first visit to Germany.

Enjoy your upcoming river cruise.

Hi again,

Yes, there were two severe floods in August. One was last year which affected the Danube River but not that bad. The other was in 2002 which mainly affected the Elbe River. But floods in August not very usual. Should be the dry, low water season.

For steamboats/paddlewheelers in Europe you can check our European steamboat website:

http://www.schaufelraddampfer.de/english/eindex.htm?url=/eindex.htm

DH made a new layout but it´s only available in German right now. I´m updating all data in German first and then we´ll transfer the English version to the new layout. There are a lot of steamboats and former steamboats along the Amsterdam - Black Sea route. Always a good photo opp!

Berlin is a great town although I´ve been there only once (15 years ago for a football game, yes, football not soccer!). Enjoy your Baltic cruise! We´re looking forward to the MQ in July and Tall Stacks in October!

steamboats

Archived