Newbie Questions Part 2 - MS Nieuw Amsterdam Veranda Room recommendations

nielgirl

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses to the first pile of questions that I had. We've been looking hard and viewing video reviews etc and decided on a Caribbean cruise on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam for 24th March 2017.

We want to book a unobstructed Veranda balcony room and were looking for room recommendations from our fellow cruise critic members.

I noticed another member mentioning 4166 & 4168 as gems. Are there a lot of Veranda rooms that have these little extra pluses to them.

We're thinking of the front or back of the ship since the middle is more expensive and we don't care if we have to walk further to get to things since we'll need to be burning off all the food we eat.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We had 8126, a VE on deck 8, one deck under the Lido but not under the pool area. We like to be towards the aft end more than the bow. It's a pretty generic room, nothing unusual but it was very good for us, we rarely get a balcony. m--

Make sure you look at the legends so you do not get a verandas with the metal in front instead of the plexiglass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that clearly marked on the legend? Are there specific areas where the metal front are more common so I can avoid those areas?

Thanks for all the responses to the first pile of questions that I had. We've been looking hard and viewing video reviews etc and decided on a Caribbean cruise on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam for 24th March 2017.

We want to book a unobstructed Veranda balcony room and were looking for room recommendations from our fellow cruise critic members.

I'm assuming you must mean March of 2018? ;)

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October 2017 and were in cabin #4144. This cabin was right by the rear elevators. I worried about noise, but heard nothing. The location was convenient...walk down a couple of decks to the main dining room and all of the public areas or jump on the elevator and go straight up to the lido buffet. Also the balconies in this area are slightly deeper than others on the ship. Look on the deck plans and you will be able to see the difference.

I have photos and information from our cruise on my blog (My Souvenir Memories) and also did a YouTube video that includes a room tour at the beginning. (

).

We have cruised a lot in the past, but this was our first cruise on Holland America. In spite of some problems (mostly weather related) we loved the cruise and are looking forward to a much longer HAL cruise in April.

Is that clearly marked on the legend? Are there specific areas where the metal front are more common so I can avoid those areas?

I believe there is a diamond symbol that indicates a solid front

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was relatively new to cruising when I booked my cabin on NA about a year ago for my May 2018 sailing. NOW I have decided which cabin I want, but it's too late! If there's availability, at least consider the aft-facing veranda cabins for slightly deeper balcony than standard and panoramic views. These are category VC (deck 8) and VB (decks 4-7).

Let us know how it goes! Bon voyage!

I was relatively new to cruising when I booked my cabin on NA about a year ago for my May 2018 sailing. NOW I have decided which cabin I want, but it's too late! If there's availability, at least consider the aft-facing veranda cabins for slightly deeper balcony than standard and panoramic views. These are category VC (deck 8) and VB (decks 4-7).

Let us know how it goes! Bon voyage!

There were actually some of them available when I first looked but with all the dithering they all got scooped up.

There were actually some of them available when I first looked but with all the dithering they all got scooped up.

I'm so sad I didn't book one when I could have. I don't even know what the difference in cost would have been but I have looked at other cruises and the difference between my VD category and the aft were like $90 pp, which would have been so worth it to us! Live and learn...we know what to do for next time!