China Weather in October

candkd

We'll be doing the Viking Undiscovered China trip in October. We leave on the Oct 7 and return on Oct 29. What kinds of "leggings" do you need for the day time tours. Will jeans and capris work for the entire ship? I'm hoping that we won't need to also pack shorts. I've been looking forward to taking this trip for 7 years and can't wait to get there.

We did China with Viking 2 years ago --> flying into Beijing and home from Shanghai. We left home on October 14th (so arrived on the 15th) and then home on the 28th.

I wore jeans on the flight over - and then on the flight home. In between, I wore capris. It was a bit cool the morning we went to the Great Wall - but we left the hotel just after 7 am. I had a hoodie on - and it was too hot for that by about 10 am.

We never had a drop of rain the entire time we were away. It was smoggy - but manageable. It was quite humid. The hotels that Viking used are high end - so we had air conditioning which was a great help.

Pack and dress in layers. Capris should be good - but make sure you have some cooler tops.

Fran

• 9 months later...

We went on a 14 day trip to China and Tibet with Uniworld last year beginning on Oct 4th.

Our first day in Beijing was a bit warm and muggy - I started with a linen sweater, sleeveless top and jeans and later took the sweater off. We were outside most of the afternoon. After that, it was cool and rainy for the rest of our trip, except our days in Tibet, which was supposed to be the coldest time - it was deep blue skies and 70+ degrees in the daytime. I was very thankful to have taken my rain jacket, used it daily and bought an umbrella while there. I wished I'd brought an extra sweater for more variety. I layered up a lot and was always comfortable though. Most of my tank top t-shirts and linen/cotton blouses I wear over them were not used! When we were on the great wall, it was drizzly rain and slippery, so be sure to where comfortable good walking shoes there. I was thankful for the cooler weather as I don't do so well in heat and humidity.

Oh and due to the rains, we had no smog except on the 1st morning in Beijing, we saw the sun rise from our hotel room and noticed a smog haze. We did not notice any effects while out and about.

• 2 months later...
We'll be doing the Viking Undiscovered China trip in October. We leave on the Oct 7 and return on Oct 29. What kinds of "leggings" do you need for the day time tours. Will jeans and capris work for the entire ship? I'm hoping that we won't need to also pack shorts. I've been looking forward to taking this trip for 7 years and can't wait to get there.

We are planing to do Undiscovered China in late Sept/early Oct 2019. Could you share about your weather, Packing and pros and cons of your trip with Viking, both on land and on the Emerald.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are planing to do Undiscovered China in late Sept/early Oct 2019. Could you share about your weather, Packing and pros and cons of your trip with Viking, both on land and on the Emerald.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is tons of information about Viking operations in China in the eponymous thread Viking China (Part 2). Start reading it from the end because the information at the beginning of the thread goes back to 2011 and is a bit stale now. Viking is constantly tweaking things in its China operation. Viking China was our first river cruise and one of the most amazing travel adventures we have ever undertaken. There are links to photos in my signature file below.

Viking China (Part 2)

There is tons of information about Viking operations in China in the eponymous thread Viking China (Part 2). Start reading it from the end because the information at the beginning of the thread goes back to 2011 and is a bit stale now. Viking is constantly tweaking things in its China operation. Viking China was our first river cruise and one of the most amazing travel adventures we have ever undertaken. There are links to photos in my signature file below.

Viking China (Part 2)

Thanks I have been perusing through the thread but was hoping for more current and specific info. Hopefully later this fall, people will provide updated reviews/info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums