Explorer II Questions

Jade13

Has anyone traveled in the lower category cabins and have any photos they could post, especially of a cabin with the portholes as they are not anywhere on-line that I could find? Are these cabins partially underwater? It also looks like they do not have a refrigerator and Regent in general talks about keeping guests refrigerators stocked (I have not been an a "Regent" cruise. Just looking for a little more info.

I also know A&K and others have cabins on this ship, and it sounds like A&K is more involved in the staffing/keeping the standards up even if you book through Regent or another travel Agent (that is what they told me and I can't find out who else sells these cruises). I assume one advantage of going through Regent would be to get discounts on future cruises...

A&K's printed Antarctica brochure has cabin pictures and lots of info. Go to their website and asked that it be sent to you.

I did, and they do not have the lower categories with the portholes. Have you been on this ship? I am trying to find out if there is any advantage of booking through A&K or Regent or just whomever has the lower price (Yes, I kow you can use your own travel agent for either one)?

Here is a link I found last year after I booked the Feb. 1 departure. I don't believe the lower category rooms have a fridge.

Explorer II Cabins

Andrea, thanks. I can't find pics of those port hole cabins. I e-mailed Polar by the way and they are no longer offering cruises on the Explorer II. They said it was because it has too many passengers (but you never know if the real real is that their commission was cut).

I can't tell if there are any benefits to booking this through Regent vs. anyone else? Plus they don't have any Feb 2009 departures (or don't have them yet).

Jade, I think Regent only completely charters 2 sailings per year. For 2008 they added a few extra sailings because demand was so high, but I don't believe they are full charters. So right now for 2009 the only sailings they are offering are January 14th and January 25th - but I'm not sure if those are full charters.

As for benefits, if you're a past Regent guest there might be a discount on the cruise fare. For the cruise I'm taking in 2008, the charters flights are included in the fare as well as 1 night in a hotel in Santiago.

Jade13-I don't think any passenger rooms on the ship are below water; in fact I don't think any ship has windows or portholes below water (maybe Captain Nemo did). In any event, the rooms you refer to, category SA with A&K, were described to me as small but comfortable although storage is somewhat limited. Not luxury ship type cabins but since most of the trip is about off ship activities it doesn't seem to matter to most passengers. In other words, the recommendation I received was go with the least expensive cabin category available. Besides, the "cheapest" rooms are low in the ship and toward the middle, perfect for the Drake Passage crossing. I'm not sure about the differences between the Regent charter and the A&K ones. I assume most of the crew is the same--maybe the food is better on one than on the other.

Jade13-I don't think any passenger rooms on the ship are below water; in fact I don't think any ship has windows or portholes below water (maybe Captain Nemo did). In any event, the rooms you refer to, category SA with A&K, were described to me as small but comfortable although storage is somewhat limited. Not luxury ship type cabins but since most of the trip is about off ship activities it doesn't seem to matter to most passengers. In other words, the recommendation I received was go with the least expensive cabin category available. Besides, the "cheapest" rooms are low in the ship and toward the middle, perfect for the Drake Passage crossing. I'm not sure about the differences between the Regent charter and the A&K ones. I assume most of the crew is the same--maybe the food is better on one than on the other.

A&K told me it is not a real charter, they get 100 cabins and Regent gets 100 cabins. Maybe Regent does full charters and they were speaking about certain dates. I phoned Regent and can't get any info on whether they will have anything in Feb 2009.

I was a bit spoiled having the "best/largest" accommodations on small ships in the Galapagos and Great Barrier Reef. But, you are right, we were never in the cabin. If we take this trip we will take the cheap seats (the standards don't look all that different to me) but I just do not want to be in any way (even half way) under water. Why are they better for the drake passage? Plus, I am one of the few people (on HAL anyway) who likes forward cabins.

Is Regent 10% deposit? (or is it more for this ship? I only found their web showing 20% deposit for Tahiti). Based on other dates, A&K may actually have lower prices. I would need to compare cancelation policy and dates.

Jade13-the Drake Passage can be very rough and in such circumstances the low, middle of a ship is often the best place to be if you are prone to sea sickness. As for cost, it seems to be six of one, half dozen of the other since A&K, Regent etc have fixed charter costs for the Explorer II. Plus their fees to land on Antarctica are quite high. A&K offers a 5% discount to guests who have traveled with them before and joined their Marco Polo Club.

Jade13-the Drake Passage can be very rough and in such circumstances the low, middle of a ship is often the best place to be if you are prone to sea sickness. As for cost, it seems to be six of one, half dozen of the other since A&K, Regent etc have fixed charter costs for the Explorer II. Plus their fees to land on Antarctica are quite high. A&K offers a 5% discount to guests who have traveled with them before and joined their Marco Polo Club.

I found out A&K has a $500.00 pp (that's $1,000 per couple) cancelation fee up until 90 days (so a week after you make a booking). I don't think Regent has this but they are not clear about this ship on their web site.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this ship in a porthole stateroom several years ago. The room was basic and somewhat spartan by luxury cruiseline standards, but more than adequate. The portholes have metal covers that are deployed when crossing the Drake Channel and there is the possibility of heavy seas. They did that once on our cruise, but the crossing itself was really quite benign.

As others have suggested, on this cruise, with all of the frequent outings, the odds are good that if you're in your stateroom, your either dressing up to go outside or sleeping. It's an incredible cruise on a wonderful ship.

Regarding with whom to book: Keep in mind that some cruise agents offer additional discounts. That is, ours offers a 5 percent reduction of the fare quoted by Regent for the Explorer II. As others have said many times. it is really better to use a cruise agent that has a lot of experience with whatever cruise line you are interested in. Contrary to most other types of travel, agents often "beat" the fares that you would pay if you booked with the cruise line directly.

Regarding with whom to book: Keep in mind that some cruise agents offer additional discounts. That is, ours offers a 5 percent reduction of the fare quoted by Regent for the Explorer II. As others have said many times. it is really better to use a cruise agent that has a lot of experience with whatever cruise line you are interested in. Contrary to most other types of travel, agents often "beat" the fares that you would pay if you booked with the cruise line directly.

Yes, I figured that out. We are booked and agent can give 6% back after the cruise. They do it this way with any ships or tour groups (including Tauck, Globis, and A&K) that do not allow discounting. So they write a check after the completition of the trip when they get their commission. The agent wanted us to go through Regent since they made more but Regent did not have the date we wanted. When they ran the numbers for two different dates (same amount of nights with one prenight hotel) A&K was cheaper than Regent. I still have no idea but assume its the same captain and crew no matter who you book with.

Thanks!

Btw, does anyone who has been in this porthole cabin (SA but changing name to Cat 8) know what the story is with them not having a refrigerator? Regent (and A&K too I believe) advertise stocked refrigerators for all guests. Perhaps it just means more frequent room service for those in lower category cabins? We hate too much room service because there is the feeling you have to keep tipping for the delivery.

Jade, I think Regent only completely charters 2 sailings per year. For 2008 they added a few extra sailings because demand was so high, but I don't believe they are full charters. So right now for 2009 the only sailings they are offering are January 14th and January 25th - but I'm not sure if those are full charters.

As for benefits, if you're a past Regent guest there might be a discount on the cruise fare. For the cruise I'm taking in 2008, the charters flights are included in the fare as well as 1 night in a hotel in Santiago.

Andrea, I figured that out but I'm not even sure Regent is a true charter because Swan Hellinic has 100 or so cabins for those in Europe. I only know this because I e-mailed Europe and they told me I had to go through their sister company Discovery Cruises who told me their Agent was A&K. No wonder theses cruise are so expensive. There are so many people making a cut off of the price.

I like your plans for 2008. Tahiti sounds great.

Thanks!

Btw, does anyone who has been in this porthole cabin (SA but changing name to Cat 8) know what the story is with them not having a refrigerator? Regent (and A&K too I believe) advertise stocked refrigerators for all guests. Perhaps it just means more frequent room service for those in lower category cabins? We hate too much room service because there is the feeling you have to keep tipping for the delivery.

I found the answer. it soumds like just the Suites have refrigerators.

"Explorer II Suites. Staterooms and suites are comfortable and inviting. They're even equipped with a pair of binoculars for your use during the expedition. All are ocean view and the twelve suites - including the two Owner's Suites on the Bridge Deck - have private balconies. All cabins have a private bathroom with shower, individual climate control, two music channels, a wall-mounted hairdryer and terry robes for guest use while on board. Standard cabins feature two twin beds. Suites have queen beds and include a small refrigerator and TV with VCR."

Archived