Reserving snorkel gear on Coco Cay

eel

Is it necessary to reserve snorkel gear or a floating mat in advance for Coco Cay or can you just go pick up the gear and charge it to your cabin whenever you decide you want it? We probably want to do some snorkeling on Coco Cay but we might decide to just have a relaxing beach day instead so would prefer not to be locked into anything until we get there.

I would wait on the beach mat--getting one once you are on the island is no problem, and you may find that you don't even need it. You can also wait on snorkel equipment, but, you do run the risk it will be sold out. However, you will probably be okay.

Depending when you decide to go snorkeling, it may be worth it to pre-order it. BF and I reserved snorkeling equipment, and when we were in line, one of the ladies told those of us with tickets to come up first, because they only had 9 full sets left. We also waited until after lunch too.

BF's goggles snapped, so he went back to the shack to exchange them, and had to wait about five minutes for a pair to be returned.

In reality though, you'll probably be fine not reserving snorkeling equipment. You may have to wait a few minutes though if they are sold out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from CocoCay this past weekend. Beach was beautiful, but a bit rocky in the shallow part of the water. You may want to be sure to pack a good pair of water shoes.

Lots of floats and snorkel equipment available. Be warned however...the ocean have not yet warmed up from the winter and the weather was quite chilly!

Still and all, it was a pleasant day sitting in the warm sun and eating some delicious barbeque chicken!

• 1 month later...

My DW and I were at CocoCay just last week. The water was refreshing. There is a rather large building the holds the snorkel gear. When we were there, there was plenty to go around. Let me just say, however, that the snorkeling there is nothing special. If you've never snorkeled, though, I would still try to go. You will probably see about a dozen or so of different kinds of fish. You won't get to see much in the way or coral, sponges, or anemones, though.

Archived