Snacks from home for kids

Traveling with 2 toddlers. Wondering if I would be allowed to bring on board graham crackers, gold fish, juice boxes, cereal bars and things like that that they are familiar with from home for snacks on the ship and to carry off in port? Also has anyone brought the baby food squeeze packets? Not wanting my luggage to be held. Is it better to carry on the things you are unsure of?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can bring all of that onboard, either in "checked" luggage (handled by porter) or carry on. Honestly though, unless your children are really, really picky, there is SO much food on board that you probably don't need much in terms of snacks.

We've done many cruises with our kids and when they were toddlers, we did a few things that made snacking easier, without having to actually carry on snacks. The first thing I'd recommend is the thermos type sippy cups or water bottles (we got ours at Walmart). They keep drinks cold all day and we would fill them with ice water or juice to carry around the boat with us, or to take on excursions. Easy to fill and "free" drinks!

We also took snack containers and baggies. Dice up some fresh fruit or veggies, take cheese cubes, crackers, bagels etc and pop them in a bag. Then you have something in your backpack all day for them to munch on. Another favorite was the small boxes of cereal.

Honestly, it was nice not having to lug tons of extra stuff on board. There's already so much to take when you have little ones with you! Then again, if they are super picky and will only eat certain things, then at least you know that you are allowed to bring them on board.

Have a great trip!

Edited by aimathy

We also took snack containers and baggies. Dice up some fresh fruit or veggies, take cheese cubes, crackers, bagels etc and pop them in a bag. Then you have something in your backpack all day for them to munch on. Another favorite was the small boxes of cereal.

Fresh fruit and veggies and any other snacks not in their original packaging are not allowed to be taken off the ship in ports. It's a violation of agricultural laws in most countries.

One other thing, if you are flying....do not take snacks/drinks from home. Wait until you get to your port city and stop off at a store there to purchase everything. We have done this in the past too for diapers and baby food at it saved SO much space in our luggage. Most car services will provide a free stop, and many hotels have a store within walking distance or a shuttle that can take you somewhere.

PS Someone mentioned not bringing food off the ship. We have asked on more than one cruise and were told that whole fruits, vegetables or plants could not get taken off. We have never had a problem with the snacks for the kids. But I would check before you leave if you have concern over that. I don't know if the cruise staff just didn't care enough to enforce it or it really was okay, but I'd hate to see you have a problem.

Edited by aimathy

Thanks for your replies! They are really picky. My oldest wont even eat cereal or goldfish! thankfully they are both awesome breakfast eaters! last cruise we had to take bottles and formula and bottles water so having snacks to lug around sounds way better to me than the thought of having to wash bottles in the bathroom of our stateroom! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PS Someone mentioned not bringing food off the ship. We have asked on more than one cruise and were told that whole fruits, vegetables or plants could not get taken off. We have never had a problem with the snacks for the kids. But I would check before you leave if you have concern over that. I don't know if the cruise staff just didn't care enough to enforce it or it really was okay, but I'd hate to see you have a problem.

You can definitely bring food off the ship, it just needs to be in pre-packaged containers. Not sure who told you whole fruit could be taken off the ship but this is 100% wrong. In many countries if they find you bringing it off the ship you will be fined. This is all due to local agricultural laws, nothing to do with the cruise ship per se. Many ports will have dogs checking out bags as you get off. Again, this is the local port not the ship.

We have even been stopped trying to bring coffee off the ship. They stated it was again for agricultural reasons (not sure I agree with that but their ship their rules).

As long as the foods are unopened packaged food you will be fine taking it on the ship or off. Fresh foods are a no-no and you could be fined if your caught with any of it.

Eat lots of fresh foods on the ship and save the packaged things for touring.

Stopping for kid essentials like diapers, wipes, juice boxes is good to pick up before you board the ship at a local grocery store. Bring some gallon size bags also to pack up some extra outfits for touring then you have something to put wet/soiled items in.

A comfortable backpack is your best touring bag!

Bev