Dublin overnight or Kirkwall

I'm looking at 2 different itineraries on Princess Crown. One leaves SH and has a Dublin overnight but you lose Kirkwall or Liverpool as a port. The other option is SH with Kirkwall and one night in Dublin. Wondering if the overnight it Dublin is worth sacrificing another port? There are more sites in Dublin that I think I'd be interested in but I haven't been to any of the ports so I can't really say. On another note if I did the Dublin overnight date July 12, I would have to fly in and go to the plane on the same day. Probably landing around 8-9:00am for 5:00 depart. I'm not sure if that should be a deal breaker. Any opinions?

I assume you mean fly in and go to the ship on the same day? If so, that is never a good idea as it is risky and may mean you miss the sailing.

I also would prefer one night in Dublin and one night in Kirkwall as you have never been to either before. I really like Orkney, having called there four times now and found plenty to see and do. Neolithic remains and stone circles, the Italian chapel, the cathedral, distillery tour, etc. It is a beautiful place too and I always enjoy the Scottish pipe band which plays on the quayside at sail away.

That’s my opinion anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I assume you mean fly in and go to the ship on the same day? If so, that is never a good idea as it is risky and may mean you miss the sailing.

I also would prefer one night in Dublin and one night in Kirkwall as you have never been to either before. I really like Orkney, having called there four times now and found plenty to see and do. Neolithic remains and stone circles, the Italian chapel, the cathedral, distillery tour, etc. It is a beautiful place too and I always enjoy the Scottish pipe band which plays on the quayside at sail away.

That’s my opinion anyway!

Thank you for the reply:) Since you have been to Orkney what would say was your favorite site or a must see? I haven't started doing the port research yet, just trying to make a decision about picking a date to cruise. That's the biggest hurdle for me ;p

Thank you for the reply:) Since you have been to Orkney what would say was your favorite site or a must see? I haven't started doing the port research yet, just trying to make a decision about picking a date to cruise. That's the biggest hurdle for me ;p

I suppose the best place was Skara Brae https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/skara-brae/ the Neolithic village followed on the same tour by the stone circles, which unlike Stonehenge, you can actually get up close to.

For our June 2017 cruise we had Kirkwall on our itinerary and it was a very interesting place to visit. The landscape is like no other and we took a private tour with See Orkney tours along with 6 others who we met on our roll call. Our guide, Lorna, was excellent and took pride in showing us around her island. At that time the price for each of us was 60 pounds and well worth every penny. FYI - take warm clothing if you go there.

Barb

For our June 2017 cruise we had Kirkwall on our itinerary and it was a very interesting place to visit. The landscape is like no other and we took a private tour with See Orkney tours along with 6 others who we met on our roll call. Our guide, Lorna, was excellent and took pride in showing us around her island. At that time the price for each of us was 60 pounds and well worth every penny. FYI - take warm clothing if you go there.

Barb

Thank you for the reply, it sounds interesting:D

• 1 month later...

I would choose Kirkwall and Dublin rather than just Dublin. Lots of interesting places around Kirkwall. We were there last week. Be sure to make plans before you get there. The taxis were all booked when we got there and we only got a taxi by dumb luck.

I would choose Kirkwall and Dublin rather than just Dublin. Lots of interesting places around Kirkwall. We were there last week. Be sure to make plans before you get there. The taxis were all booked when we got there and we only got a taxi by dumb luck.

What did see while you were there?

We went to Kirkwall and did a private tour with Wild about Orkney. It was interesting and OH is interested in WWII history. I think our enjoyment was partly marred by the atrocious weather, but have no desire to return.

On the other hand, Dublin and Ireland are fantastic with very warm, helpful people.

While in Kirkwall we went to a place near Birsay to try to see Puffins, and also saw:

Skara Brae

Ring of Brodgar

Standing Stones of Stenness

Cuween Hill Chambered Cairn

Highland Park Distillery

Our driver/guide also took us to a friend's farm to see their two cool "sheep" pigs. They are fuzzy pigs that were very cute and friendly.