Panama Canal

blueridgemama

We've cruised on both ships, the Caribbean for a New England/Canada cruise and the Island for our partial transit cruise. We enjoyed both ships, but between the two I would pick the Island. It was our first time on a ship that size and we loved it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Because of timing issues we will be taking the Island with Ocho Rios and Grand Turk as our ports. I have not been to either of these ports so I am ok with them. I will have lots of time to plan as our cruise is next March. Do you go through the first locks on the ship and then get off for the excursion on the ferry?

Because of timing issues we will be taking the Island with Ocho Rios and Grand Turk as our ports. I have not been to either of these ports so I am ok with them. I will have lots of time to plan as our cruise is next March. Do you go through the first locks on the ship and then get off for the excursion on the ferry?

Yes, you enter the Canal, proceed to Gatun Locks and lock through to Gatun Lake. The ship will go to anchor a short distance from the locks where you will tender off the ship to meet the buses for all the shore excursions. While you are on your excursion the ship will return through Gatun Locks and proceed to Colon where you will rejoin the ship.

What does the ship do after tendering the off going passengers for their excursions? If we stay on the ship what would we see for the rest of the day?

Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate all your help.

Questions are good:D. Your ship waits in the anchorage for its down lockage at Gatun where you may see some other ships leaving or approaching the Locks or at the anchorage where your are anchored. Really depends on what the ship traffic is for that day regarding the number of ships you could see and how long it will be before the ship locks down. The trip back through the locks can take place anywhere from almost immediately after tendering to a 2 or 3 hour wait. The trip back through the locks and the short sail to the dock in Colon will largely be ground you already covered that morning.

Thank you all for the information. I 'm sure I will have many more as I start serious planning for this trip. As my main purpose is to experience and learn as much as possible about the canal. Happy Memorial Day especially to all our veterans.,

Thank you all for the information. I 'm sure I will have many more as I start serious planning for this trip. As my main purpose is to experience and learn as much as possible about the canal. Happy Memorial Day especially to all our veterans.,
Planning is half the fun. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app